Author Topic: Can't Wait!  (Read 4814 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Can't Wait!
« on: May 27, 2009, 01:43:33 AM »
This is very cool! I really only know very little... but one of my (4) older brothers runs the local freecycle. This is a group of local people that email back and forth through yahoogroups that gives stuff away to the first person that replies to them whenever they have something they don't want any longer. I am not on this particular list... but one of my other brothers is. He saw that the first brother was giving away a printer/scanner/copier combo... knowing I been wanting a scanner for a while now he called the first brother about saving it for me. He said ok... and that he will bring it over the next time he comes by.  :yahoo: Of course who knows how long that will take. But it looks like I will be needing to learn how to scan soon!  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Can't Wait!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 05:26:54 AM »
Cool.

My printer scans too.  I don't do much of that, but I have the option.  I tried to scan one movie cover for my profiler and the dimensions aren't right...no clue how to fix it, so I haven't tried that again.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:44:27 PM »
That is the main reason I wanted one. There is several in my collection that has no cover at all. Several child profiles I created that has their own thinpak case... and then there is several I have that are re-releases as well.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 12:46:54 PM »
Now you have to hope that it's an actual flatbed scanner and not a "pull in" scanner like on a fax machine.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
This is true... I know very little about it. But I will see soon enough. :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »
I'm sure it'll be a flatbed because that design of the all-in-ones has become very popular, whereas the rollfeed died out some time ago. The latter sounds more compact, but in reality the other design is much simpler; take an inkjet and balance a sheet of glass on top!  :P

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »
That is the main reason I wanted one. There is several in my collection that has no cover at all. Several child profiles I created that has their own thinpak case... and then there is several I have that are re-releases as well.

I have a few that the covers aren't right on too.  After the trouble I had with the one I did, I haven't done any more yet.  I need to figure out how to get the sizing to come out right.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 11:19:19 PM »
If you have the good proportion after scanning the cover and usually it does whatever resolution you decide to use (by exemple mine are only 100 or 150, so low quality for contributing but they are for me and I ain't a maniac like some others), you can just resize them directly with dvdp. This is what I do when I used a theatrical poster or a vhs case image for the dvd cover (resize the image as 488x700 since this is the dimension I prefer).

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 11:44:46 PM »
I usually scan at 600dpi that gives me an image about 3500 pixels wide (IIRC). Then I can "fix" some scratches or a bit of dirt, before resizing it down to either 700 height or 500 width. This way my edits become invisible because the resizing makes them blend in with the cover.

My biggest edit work so far has been the Xena box

Due to it's size and relief it was impossible to scan. So I took a photograph and then had to clean up the picture and especially the golden X.

In the end, it looked like this:

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 03:52:13 AM »
I may experiment with scaning the one cover again.  I tried changing dimensions, but I couldn't get it to cooperate.  I must have done something wrong.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 09:01:07 AM »
 :o

Karsten, where are the cardboard holders of the Star Trek sets???

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 09:03:59 AM »

Karsten

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »

:stars:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 09:11:52 AM »
Or more precisely, they now look either like this

or this

Karsten

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 10:57:02 AM »
 :laugh: