Author Topic: Fancast  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Fancast
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 03:18:09 AM »
You see this is what I was saying : the movies are only available on Illico Pay per view.

That's why the best solution would be to do it exactly like the National Film Board. No need to remastered the film just release them from the Telefilm Canada portail free for all the Canadian citizens to see. We have already paid those productions with our taxes in the past.

By the way Eric
Mon oncle Antoine is already free to see on the NFB website and a nice documentary from Denys Arcand if you have never watched it that I like.

Sorry guys all of this is in french only :tease:

Touti

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 03:30:27 AM »
My mistake Jimmy, I didn't really checked the site I linked to before posting the link.  I misunderstood an article I read before my previous post, I thought they said the movies were available on Illico and on this web site.

At least they're giving the profits to the makers of the movies so it doesn't look like they own the rights.....but it's sad that only Illico subscribers can view them.....................but then I am a Illico subscriber so I'm happy  ;D

Touti

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 04:49:01 PM »
Last night I went on the "Elephant" page of Illico and watched a 30 minutes documentary on the project.  There was some interviews and stuff, not unlike those you'd find on a DVD, and then for the last 10 minutes or so it showed samples of the movies.  On a side note, all the movies that they digitalized are available both in standard and HD format.

First impression on the quality of the images, it looks like they've done a good job at cleaning the original material and with the transfers.  In the interviews someone mentioned that often the colors aren't as good in the digital version than on the film version and that they often have to re-colorize the whole thing.  On the few samples I saw it looked like they did a nice job.

Some of the scenes from different movies were "jerky" though and strangely that was not necessarily on the oldest movies.  On certain scenes from different films it looks as though some they've lost 1 frame out of 20 or so and when the actors move it gives a stroboscopic effect.  From the samples they showed in the documentary it's hard to make an  opinion but I hope it's only on a few scenes because if a whole movie is like that it would be very annoying to watch.

I'm having a pretty bad flue and I plan on staying at home and quiet this week-end so I'm gonna watch a few of those movies and come back with more details throughout the week-end although it will only be useful for a handful of members.

I think the Elephant project is a great idea and since Quebecor is paying for it I guess it's only normal that the movies will only be available from them but I wish they people could have access to them in PPV streaming from the Elephant's web site.  It's really a shame that our entire cinema will be digitalized and available both in SD and HD formats but only to people who decide to get their digital tv service from a particular provider.

There are people in Quebec who can't be Illico subscribers because Videotron is not in their region, these people won't have access to the Elephant movie database even if they were willing to change their TV service provider........a real shame.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »
Maybe they will release them on dvd, since Quebecor usually think only about the money... Or they will wait too much and some people will burn the movie on a dvd-r and share them on the web...

I'm sure that they have done a good job, it's just bad that it was not done by the SRC since it's its role to do that. Eric, since Taureau is one of the film on Illico try to watch it this is one of our good movies.