Author Topic: My Movies  (Read 6287 times)

ninehours

My Movies
« on: April 26, 2009, 11:08:30 AM »
My Movies
Have just started using this its not as good as Profiler (yet) but not bad, the contribution process is a lot simpler/easier no voting process (assume there screeners make the decisions) which i really like you don't have to write an essay to make a simple contribution. Anyone else tried it? what do you think.
Only been contributing for a day and already have 1.5 stars, never managed to get 1 star on Profiler  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:15:50 AM by ninehours »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: My Movies
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
I am quite content with DVDP, I almost exclusively contribute new (disc) profiles and don't really bother with contribution wars. If I contribute on an existing profile, it's only minor updates like runtimes, production years and so on.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

richierich

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:20:41 AM »
Have they developed a plug-in that allowed you to bring across your dvdp collection?

ninehours

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
Have they developed a plug-in that allowed you to bring across your dvdp collection?
I wish  :laugh: but actually i am adding my collection over 20 at a time this will give me the time to think about if I'm going to stick with Profiler (Love the programme, HATE the contribution process and forums) or change to My Movies
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:49:23 AM by ninehours »

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »
Hopefully it will come up to the mark if only to give Ken a long overdue kick up the arse. Let us know how you get on.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:34:29 PM »
Interestingly it's far more "easy" to get no votes and declines on US profiles than UK or Germany profiles. "Insufficient notes" as reason for a no vote have I only gotten on US profiles.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

ninehours

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »
I concur, the only time i get problems with contributions is region 1 profiles with people voting on personal preference and not the rules. I recently added some scans to a profile to replace pre-release art and got "No" votes, now I'm not saying the scans were perfect but they were the correct scans replacing the incorrect scans if this was a R2 profile people would have still said in their notes that they did not like them (which is of coarse their right to do so) but nobody would have voted "No" to them as they were the correct one's.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »
Didn't try it, since I own way to much dvd to start with another software. I don't really care for the contribution prima dona or the contributing rules with DVDP, since I keep my works for me. I don't like the idea to write an essay for every change made to a profile... I've seen some of my past contributions rejected even if they were perfect (by exemple the one for Murder-Set-Pieces - Director Cut). I don't like the idea that an user can vote for anything it's not important if he/she own the dvd or not. I hate the false and invented adult rating that we are force to use to not offend the "think of the children" users of DVDP. Do I feel sorry? Not a single second it's their lost not mine...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:19:21 AM »
I am downloading it to check it out. I may use it as a back-up anyway. Even though I don't like the look of the main program we will see. I don't have very high hopes though.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 06:33:14 AM »
The program looks decent but I see no reason for me to change right now.

I have paid for DVD Profiler. I use phpDVDProfiler. Ken promised an iPhone app. (I don't contribute anymore, so easier contributing is no incentive for me).

Only reason for me to swicth to anything else would be if there is a Mac version of the program...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 01:47:43 PM »
I played with it for a while to see if I wanted to use it as a secondary system... but over all I see no need for it. Even though a decent program it is no where as nice as DVD Profiler. I know there is a lot of fans of the site here... but I have always disliked IMDB... so hate that the majority of the info comes from them.

As for DVD Profiler's contribution system... I don't know... but I don't see the problems you all seem to. I contribute all the time... I can't remember the last time I got a decline and I never had to "write an essay" for the changes I make. All I ever done was a simple list of changes and what I used to get the info. Every once in a while when I use a common name there is a little extra with the CLT info and a couple links to how I know it is the same person. I don't know... maybe it is me... but it seems to be a very simple process for me.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 05:15:05 PM »
Every once in a while when I use a common name there is a little extra with the CLT info and a couple links to how I know it is the same person.
And the CLT isn't more reliable than IMDB or IADF (this one is trustworthy but only from adult movie), it just link the name that looks like in the name database. The biggest problem is with the uncredited, sorry but I think that I've seen Rene Bond or Maria Arnold or Jamie Gillies in enough movies to recognize them and many others without the need to justify myself with hundred links.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 05:51:55 PM »
I never said it is perfect... far from it actually... I hate the system. But as long as it is what we have I am willing to work with it.

As for knowing the people without providing the links.. to me... in my mind it isn't about what I know. It is just simply that I know not everyone knows anyone... and I am more then happy to provide 2 or 3 links (which is all I ever use) to show the people that don't know these people as well as I do that I am correct. I do not want people to just trust me because I say it is so... I am more then happy to not only tell but show people I am correct. Maybe I am wrong... but in my eyes that is the way it should be done. But hey... that is me.  :P

Not sure what the problem is with uncredited... if I remember correctly Ken fixed the CLT so it wouldn't include uncredited any longer. So if the uncredited box is checked it don't get counted with the CLT results any longer.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 12:43:47 AM »
I've always said that users should be trusted more. You provide some evidence, yet it still isn't enough? Absurd. I gave up on the forums and contributing after Skip was basically demanding that you only verify actors you gave birth to... :P

Jimmy would be providing a service if he was contributing because his films aren't well known. He shouldn't have to continually explain himself.

ninehours

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 01:17:42 AM »
What i like so far

Adding disc IDs: the programme automatically picks the drive you have the disc in (in Profiler you have to manually change it).
Genres: It puts them in alphabetical order (no arguments about what order they should be in).
Contributing: No voting and no notes (though not 100% convinced this is a good thing).
Points System: You get points/stars for contributions (gets quite addictive) not for posting in forums.
Chapters: You can add a chapter list auto from disc with times of each chapter.
Subtitles: Programme will automatically read sub's from disc.

What i don't like so far

Cast, Crew: Taking cast and Crew from IMDb (though you can change and lock locally) and you can't click on a name to see other films you have that person in.
Contributing: You get no comparison when contributing to check you have not made a mistake (guess this is where voting can be useful).
Chapters: You have to manually add in chapter names.
Main View: Appears to be no customisation of the local programme.

Probably more for each list but thats all i could think of at the moment

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:31:53 AM by ninehours »