Author Topic: Tale of a Rock Band drum kit  (Read 905 times)

RossRoy

Tale of a Rock Band drum kit
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:04:21 AM »
sorry, this is a long post, and somewhat of a rant.

You know, there are times in life when you are lucky, and sometimes, when you are not.

Well, I've just been very lucky.

Around past Christmas, Rock Band 2 was released, and along with it, new and improved plastic mock intruments. Since my previous RB1 drum kit was starting to act up (double hits, missed hits, cross hits (hit the red, the yellow answers too)), I started seriously thinking about getting on of the new RB2 drum kit.

I finally did purchase the new kit on Jan.22nd

I received the kit on Jan.28th.

So I proceeded to inspect it. Support frame is fine, so is the pedal. I noticed a soft spot (if you look at the picture here, exactly where the darker area is on each pad), but it was equally soft on all pads, and all four pads answered correctly when hit. So I thought it was normal.

2 months later, I started noticing a weird sound coming from my yellow pad. I looked at it, couldn't see anything wrong, so I kept playing. The next song, the blue pad also started giving me an odd sound. So I checked my sticks - no, they're fine. So I touched the pad itself and noticed something odd. I could feel a crack right around the darker area on my yellow pad. I felt the blue pad, it's also cracked.

So I go to EA/Harmonix to see the warranty status on these things. It's 60 days. It's March 20th. Not much time left. We're 57 days in the warranty.

I go through the process. I must kudos to EA for this though. I went through the RMA process online, then scanned my receipt and emailed it. Within 3 hours I had confirmation that my RMA was accepted, and they were shipping me a new set.  :clap:

So I received the new set a few days later, and I installed it tonight (yeah I know, took me a little while).

So what did I find? And what's the point of this little story? The damn RB2drum kit I received on Jan.22nd were ALREADY BROKEN! The soft spot I noticed in the middle of each pad was NOT NORMAL! I had originally thought it was part of the whole "it is less noisy part" making the center softer would automatically make it less noisy. But no, someone had switched out their broken pads for a new set and brought it back to the store! Try to explain that to the clerk 57 days after purchase?

I was very lucky to still be under warranty, and therefore avoided being too mad.

So like said: Some days, luck doesn't go your way. Others ....  :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tale of a Rock Band drum kit
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:05:40 AM »
Great story! Awesome that it worked out the way it did.

EDIT:
:hmmmm: I thought this fits here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u11_FIkva0c
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:15:28 AM by Achim »

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 03:26:57 PM »
For some reason, I prefer this one ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLeZAGLEzcU

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »
Excellent! And a huge improvement on the original dancer...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 08:53:29 PM »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools