Author Topic: Are non-collectors allowed ?  (Read 2305 times)

Touti

Are non-collectors allowed ?
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »
Now that I'm selling my collection am I still allowed to post reviews here or should I start dvdrentersonline.com ?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Are non-collectors allowed ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:26:12 PM »
 :hysterical:

You're not serious Eric? I know that some film reviews that I've entered in the database were seen in movie theatre, I don't see any difference with a rentered movie. A film is a a film and if watched all the conditions are present for reviewing it. You can even reviewed the one you watch on tv, but for many of them the publicity spot are better than the actual movie.

xyrano

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:34:14 PM »
Now that I'm selling my collection am I still allowed to post reviews here or should I start dvdrentersonline.com ?

You know Eric, ever since I first saw you are selling of your collection... well... in short... why? I iz cofuze, askully!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:41:37 PM »
 :laugh: Sounds like he is trying to get away from us to me!  :P Not a chance... you are stuck here!  :tease:
Pete

Touti

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:55:05 PM »

You know Eric, ever since I first saw you are selling of your collection... well... in short... why? I iz cofuze, askully!

I thought I said why I'm selling it but maybe I didn't.  I do because I need the money for things I plan on doing this summer.  I bought a military trailer which many off-roaders use as off-road trailers.  I had a cover made for it on top of which I've installed a roof-top-tent.  This summer I'm gonna spend my week-ends and my vacations on fishing trips and overlanding.

First trip will be mid-may for the "Fête de Dollard" in Quebec which is also known as "Fête de la reine", "Victoria Day" or "Fête de la vieille colisse".  I'm gonna go to the Papineau-Labelle Reserve for a wee-end of "Adventure Fishing".  I haven't fished in about 30 years but I want to start again, mostly river fishing standing on the shore.

In June I'm planning a trip to the James Bay.  I want to go see the rapids of the George river before it's too late.  They're harvesting the river for a hydro power plant and it's scheduled to become in function at the end of 2009 at which point they will activate the detours and the river will disappear.  I also want to drive the James Bay Road and the Trans-Taiga road.  At the end of the Trans-Taiga you are at 745km from any town, this is as far as you can get from a town anywhere in North America.

Then at the end of july I'm going on a 6 days overland trip with some friends, we're gonna try to go from Montreal to Percé via unused and closed log roads.  If possible I will also drive the 389 and 500 roads in Quebec and Labrador to go all the way to Goose-Bay.

This will all be practice to get use to my camping equipment and being outside.  The ultimate goal is a 1 month trip in 2010 which will take me from Montreal to Yellowknife with a detour in Wood Buffalo Park in the hope to see wild buffalos.  Then from Yellowknife I'll go all the way to Banff Alberta, visite the surroundings of Lake Louise and come back home.

In short (well ok not so short  :-[ ) this is why I need money and that's why I'm selling my DVD's.  Of course I'm not selling everything, I keep some stuff that is rare or that I really like. 

I got a good deal on the trailer but the tents are expensive, I also have to buy camping and fishing equipment and I'll also need a travel refrigerator which isn't cheap either.

Planned trip to Yellowknife and Banff

Planned trip to James Bay

I don't have maps and plans for the other trips yet.

Trailer when I bought it....an tried it off-road  ;D

With the cover on it before painting[size]

With the tent installed

Tent removed, started paiting.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 01:45:09 AM »
This will all be practice to get use to my camping equipment and being outside.  The ultimate goal is a 1 month trip in 2010 which will take me from Montreal to Yellowknife with a detour in Wood Buffalo Park in the hope to see wild buffalos.  Then from Yellowknife I'll go all the way to Banff Alberta, visite the surroundings of Lake Louise and come back home.

Sounds great! Good luck with it all. I quoted that section because I just so happened to be talking about it with a friend just the other day. He's booked a holiday touring that starts in Calgary and I think he has a day around Banf, Sulphur mountain and Lake Louise. Is that near you, Eric? I was hoping to pull the cash together to go with him, but it's really frigging expensive. Otherwise I'd pop round for a cuppa and nick some of your DVDs...  :laugh: :tease:

Touti

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 03:10:08 AM »
Not quite near me, it's around 3600km from where I live.  Haven't been checking on the colonies for a while have we Jon ?  :hysterical:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 09:50:26 AM »
Now that I'm selling my collection am I still allowed to post reviews here?

No. Now go away.

:tease:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:53:16 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »
Not quite near me, it's around 3600km from where I live.  Haven't been checking on the colonies for a while have we Jon ?  :hysterical:

Hey I'd be on the correct land mass! I'd make the detour for free DVDs... :devil:

Touti

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 12:06:17 PM »
I've never been in that par of Canada Jon but everyone says that Banff, the National Parks surrounding it and Lake Louise are beautiful.  If you have a possibility to come visit it you shouldn't miss it.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/index_f.asp

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 12:15:47 PM »
I've never been in that par of Canada Jon but everyone says that Banff, the National Parks surrounding it and Lake Louise are beautiful.  If you have a possibility to come visit it you shouldn't miss it.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/index_f.asp

I definitely would, but on this occasion, he's signed up for a 16-day tour and it's very expensive. I almost had to re-mortgage the house to go with him to the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago! :P This is just about double. :-X

xyrano

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »
Hey Eric, that looks like a wicked plan and I wish you all the best on your trip(s) :D
Don't forget us and promise to post some photos later... yea!?

Touti

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 07:13:29 PM »
Hey Eric, that looks like a wicked plan and I wish you all the best on your trip(s) :D
Don't forget us and promise to post some photos later... yea!?

Sure I will.  I just got back home from the shop, we're finished painting the trailer, it will just need a few brushed touch ups in places that were hard to reach with the gun.  Laster this week we'll put the cover, the tent and the accessories back on it and it will be ready.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 06:14:51 AM »
A bit early, but also wishing you to have a great time on your trips!

I occasioanlly realize that many of the DVDs I bought I merely bought to be able to see the movie, regardless of rewatch value... Pretty stoopid, akshully. I think I could easily trim down my collection to half or even a third if I wanted to keep only the stuff I love. It's some sort of collector's bug that prevents me from doing so, I guess (besides living in Taiwan making the selling rather difficult). Pretty sad realization...

Well, I am now often holding back on purchases for a while, to make sure I really feel I want to own that item or if I could just as well rent it... Now I just have to start renting stuff more often. Then again, why rent if you have an unwatched pile that reaches the ceiling...

Touti

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
The strange thing Achim is that I had over 500 DVD's, close to 50 unwatched and yet when I felt like watching a movie I never found something to watch in my collection and I ended up watching TV.  I think it tells me that most of what I had I didn't really care for and the movies I really like I won't be watching again for a while because I probably saw them too many times.

I dind't see the point of keeping thousands of dollars of DVD's I don't watch when I to spend money on something else, didn't make sense.

Now of course I have a Blu-Ray player and there's a few I sold which I wish I had not yet because I'd love to watch them upscaled to 1080p  :hysterical:

PS: Hey Jon, if Alberta isn't an option for you maybe you want to try Labrador instead, I'm told the sight can be very relaxing in winter.

http://www.thedieselgypsy.com/Labrador%20Snow.htm