Author Topic: Why oh why are cars so dependent on electronics nowadays!  (Read 2118 times)

RossRoy

Why oh why are cars so dependent on electronics nowadays!
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
Some of you might be aware - we are right smack in the middle of a cold front here in Quebec. It went down as low as -33C here last night. And I'm guessing you all know how well electronics and deep cold go together..

So, I get out this morning to go to work (it was back to a "comfortable" -20C) well what have you, the car won't start. Not the engine or anything - the computer is messed up. When I turn the key I get a "NO BUS" message. So I call Chrysler Roadside assistance - busy signal! Guess I don't have the only car that has problems this morning.

To think I changed my pretty electronics free Sidekick (which probably would've started without a hitch this morning) for this??  :suicide:

I just hope it is not a sign of things to come - that it doesn't mean it will cost me a computer every time it gets too cold.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Why oh why are cars so dependent on electronics nowadays!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:17:53 PM »
I suppose that your car was connected to an electricity source during the night. If not even an old car without electronics garbage will not start at -33c (anyway it's not good for an engine to start cold in the winter).

Touti

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 06:36:06 PM »
I have to disagree with you Jimmy.  There's almost 3 million people leaving near Rossroy, most of them have cars and most cars started this morning.

If Seb's car didn't start it's not because of the cold since his problem isn't with the battery or a frozen engine, in this case the problem seems to be a bad choice of electronics components from Chrysler.

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »
I suppose that your car was connected to an electricity source during the night.

Actually.. No it wasn't connected. But then, my Mom's Kia and my Dad's 300 Limited started fine this morning.

I still can't reach Chrysler Roadside Assistance.. or CAA! - Nevermind that. I just reached CAA as I was typing this. 210 minutes of wait! Last time I checked, that means 3h30! ugh! Hope I'll get lucky and they'll be here sooner...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 08:50:47 PM »
I have to disagree with you Jimmy.  There's almost 3 million people leaving near Rossroy, most of them have cars and most cars started this morning.
Sure it's the electronic, but don't forget that I live far from Montreal and usually it's much cold here (-30C in the january night isn't unusual) and the first reflex in the winter is to plug the car. Stupid question but if the engine is warm the electronic is too, no?

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 09:18:16 PM »
Did it work?  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »
Basil Fawlty? Noooooooo. It didn't work! :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 09:46:13 PM »
Stupid question but if the engine is warm the electronic is too, no?

Depends where they are located and I've not idea. And thing is, there must be at least 2 different computer systems in there, because the one that allows me to change settings (light off delay, accessories off delay, remote keyless entry settings, etc.) still works. Yet, the one that would give me temperature, compass, lights control, horn, and probably engine control doesn't. There's also a funky thing going on with the remote tire pressure gauge because the give 186kPa (which is too low - should be around 240kPa) when I turn the key to on - and then a few seconds after will display 0 for all tires.

The funny thing is remote keyless entry works - it does lock and unlock the doors as expected (1 click unlocks driver, 2nd click unlocks all - click on lock button correctly locks all doors) but, the lights which should flash each time I click don't. Also, the horn should sound when I lock the doors, and it doesn't.

Haven't noticed if the radio works though - I'm guessing not, because I don't remember turning it off yesterday.

I just hope they can fix this quick and I can move on.

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 09:46:32 PM »
Funny video Jon  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:17:56 PM »
From possibly the best sitcom ever made! ;) Just something to make you smile while you pull your hair out...

Touti

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 01:47:53 AM »
Seb,

Last wednesday I (stupidly) left my keys in my car and locked the doors.  That was the day of the big snow storm, it was snowing so much that the company allowed us to leave at 3:30.

At 4:00, when ready to leave, I realized I had left my keys in the car so I called Toyota's road service.  I talked to someone immediately, they told me someone would be there within an hour. I said to myself "20 inches of snow outside and they'll be here in less than an hour......Yeah, right".

Well, 40 minutes later the service guy showed up and my door was opened in less than 4 minutes.

The part that bothers me the most in your experience today is Chrysler's road service.  Imagine your lose control of the car on a small road somewhere, you get stuck in the snow with children in the car and you can't reach your road service provider for hours when it's -20 outside........totally unacceptable.  I hope you will strongly complain. 

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 03:56:24 AM »
The part that bothers me the most in your experience today is Chrysler's road service.  Imagine your lose control of the car on a small road somewhere, you get stuck in the snow with children in the car and you can't reach your road service provider for hours when it's -20 outside........totally unacceptable.  I hope you will strongly complain. 

Well, today may have been the exception. Last time I tried calling them, I got through right away (although it wasn't for assistance). Same with my Dad when he had to call for his Charger (after an accident with a loose plywood plank from a truck on the opposite side of the bridge - yes, it flew right accross the fence to hit my dad's car right smack in the hood and windshield) - and my sister for her Nitro (key in car).

To Chrysler's defense, it wasn't any better with CAA. I managed to reach CAA, and then just a few minutes afterwards, I got through to Chrysler too. But I had been trying to call both for about 3 hours. I don't really know what to make of it. It's an exceptional situation and all, but still. I really don't know. The fact CAA couldn't take my call either puts the doubt in my mind.

At least, now the car is at the garage, and they are paying me a rental car (Dodge RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi V8 - good thing gas is back down to decent prices!) for the duration of the reparations. Which I'll know more about on Monday.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:58:20 AM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 09:27:34 PM »
Maybe you should have had a Toyota!  ;) I wonder if you've ever seen this from Top Gear? Fantastic program that has yet to find it's limit. Here, they test a Toyota pick-up for strength...

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I bet Toyota loved this!

RossRoy

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 10:20:32 PM »
That's amazing! But then, they do mention it's an older model (and it's apparent by the look of it) and they certainly don't make them like they used to.

And it didn't get 1 trial - cold! ;)

Ah who am I kidding - it is a very amazing feat!