Author Topic: How to sell DVDs  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
How to sell DVDs
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:38:02 PM »
I have decided it's time to sell some of my DVDs. Has anyone ever done this before?

I've always been a buyer not a seller so I'm looking at what's the best way to do this. I have bought & traded DVDs on invelos before and may start there. What about ebay? Local shops? Any other suggestions?

I have paid for things with paypal and money orders; is this the best way to get paid?

How do you ship your items? Which service do you use? Do I need to buy a printer for labels? Or should I take the items to the post office or UPS?

I don't expect to make big bucks; I just want to make more room to buy the movies on my wish list! :laugh:

Najemikon

Re: How to sell DVDs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:48:02 PM »
I sell a lot on Ebay. It's very easy because if you download their selling tools, there's a prefilled option that just requires the barcode.

However, I've seen the bottom drop right out of the Ebay prices recently. I can only get a decent response by selling a large selection these days. Still, I've seen a few recent surprises: Criterions always get a decent amount, as do foreign.

I think part of the problem in the UK at least is that DVD prices seem have plummeted anyway. Ebay, no offence, has always been most successful when selling to the ignorant (twice I upgraded and sold the inferior version for more than the replacement cost), but they're wising up and realising that HMV and Play are selling them dirt cheap anyway. Why pay £2 for used when it's only £3 for brand new?

Pick a few you want to sell, then search for them on Ebay and see what sort of activity the other sellers are getting. You'll quickly see if it's worth your while.

Other than that, I trade a fair few at Blockbuster. They often do deals like, "Trade in 2 DVDs and get [for example, Spider-Man 3] for £6.99".

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:55:11 PM »
I prefer giving them away to people who might like them rather than sell them on eBay. Too much hassle for the puny nothing you get for them, unless you want to sell a collectible or rare item, but then, why would you want to do that? ;)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:02:28 PM »
Around here you get nothing for used DVDs but trouble with the buyers. Thus I just give them away to friends and colleagues.

Sorry, no experiences here with selling DVDs.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 11:08:23 AM »
Sorry, no better info from me either.

I have considered selling a few times but as I am in Taiwan I think the shipping is just going to kill it (heck, even Amazon told me not to send back the damaged item I received, as shipping costs would be unreasonable). There is an Ebay site here, but it's all in Chinese. So, I keep them in the cabinet until I can think of people I could give them to and then do so.

Touti

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 01:39:52 PM »
Kathy I think it all depends on where you ship and how big your packages are.  There's a limit in size and weight that each company (including USPS and Canada Post) will accept. If you have small packages of 2 or 3 DVD's, I think your best move is to put them in envelopes with bubble inside (don't know how they're called) and use usps.

Can we get a list of your titles ?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 03:36:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice; I never thought I would have too many DVDs! :laugh:

Can we get a list of your titles ?

Of course. I've started to get the list together but it may take me some time. I'm checking each DVD to assess their condition, noting the numbers of copies I have to sell, etc. and adding that information to DVDP personalize box. I'm getting things done I've put off for a while...like dusting off the covers and using Goo Gone to get rid of any of stickers! :laugh: Yes, I know, I am a bit anal.
I've never used the flag system before and didn't realize one had to save the items checked before logging off :slaphead: I lost 278 titles and all that data! :suicide:

Edit: If you check my collection and see something you want let me know; I plan on getting rid of around 700 DVDs. I have quite a few duplicates and those will be easy to get rid of. It's the single copies that I will find hard to decide which to part with so that will make it easier for me. There are only a few that I will not sell...LOTR extended version for example; I watch that once a year.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 03:50:28 PM by Kathy »

lovemunkey187

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 10:39:05 AM »
Edit: If you check my collection and see something you want let me know; I plan on getting rid of around 700 DVDs. I have quite a few duplicates and those will be easy to get rid of. It's the single copies that I will find hard to decide which to part with so that will make it easier for me. There are only a few that I will not sell...LOTR extended version for example; I watch that once a year.

Just had a qick look at your collection and spotted a couple of dozen that I'd be willing to give shelf space to, but the postage costs would be prohibitive.

Good luck with the cull :thumbup:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 02:47:26 PM »
I finally went through all my movies...whew that was a lot of work. :training: I moved the ones I'm getting rid of to the "Ordered" section on my collection list if anyone is interested.

Touti

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 01:34:15 AM »
Kathy,

Can you do a backup of your "Ordered" list and email it to me or attach it in a post here.  We could restore it in a new database to browse it, would be a lot easier than using Invelos's (extremely) limited web interface.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 04:46:41 AM »
Kathy,

Can you do a backup of your "Ordered" list and email it to me or attach it in a post here.  We could restore it in a new database to browse it, would be a lot easier than using Invelos's (extremely) limited web interface.

I sent you an email.

Touti

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 06:41:02 PM »
Kathy,

Is your "Ordered" list still all for sale ?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 10:20:32 PM »
Kathy,

Is your "Ordered" list still all for sale ?

Yes...I never did put anything up on ebay. :-[ I really want to get down to around 1,500 DVDs so if there's something on my owned list you find interesting too let me know. (The only thing I know I won't part with is anything by/with Mel Brooks or my Lord of the Rings Gift Set).

Touti

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 10:53:08 PM »
Most of the titles in your "Ordered" list have no information at all except for title.  Could you give me the UPC's of those 5, I'd like to check the specs.

Get Carter (I wonder if it's the Michael Caine or Sylvester Strap-ons version )
Gladiator Widescreen
Insomnia
It
Jack the ripper

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 12:58:37 AM »
Get Carter UPC 085391-858324 It's the Sylvester Strap-ons version - I'm so ashamed  :bag:
Gladiator UPC 667068-720426
Insomnia UPC 085392-330720
It UPC 085391219828
Jack the Ripper UPC 625882-577329