Author Topic: Anybody interested in taking the site ?  (Read 16803 times)

Touti

Re: Anybody interested in taking the site ?
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2009, 01:52:53 PM »
The "Articles" system on TinyPortal fully supports BBCodes and articles can be made of php code so I'm thinking it could be as simple as randomly selecting a record from the reviews table and just 'print' the content of the post.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »
I did that a while ago and I don't remember the structures of the tables but it contains links to every review that has been indexed by Jimmy.
Don't forget that my review index is not always up to date since I update it habitually each 2 weeks depending of the number of reviews.

I'm on the front page  :yahoo:
Now I will have to check my spelling more in my review  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2009, 06:55:04 PM »
How often does it cycle?

Touti

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2009, 07:10:55 PM »
Don't forget that my review index is not always up to date since I update it habitually each 2 weeks depending of the number of reviews.

I'm on the front page  :yahoo:
Now I will have to check my spelling more in my review  :laugh:

I update the summary every time youpost to say you updated your list Jimmy.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2009, 07:28:03 PM »
How often does it cycle?
It doesn't cycle - yet. I am too tired this evening to do anything apart from watching a DVD. And I will probably doze off while I am at it.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »
Karsten I don't know if the process will be automatic or you will have the final word on the review that goes on the front page, but don't forget that I've wrote some XXX movie reviews. Maybe it's something that you don't want on the homepage, since the words aren't familly friendly (it's hard to do with an adult movie :laugh:)

Najemikon

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »
No, let 'em through! We might end up on The Daily Mail with one of their "BAN THIS SICK FILTH!" headlines. Great advert! :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
...(it's hard to do with an adult movie :laugh:)

I thought all adult movies were to do with hard! :devil:

richierich

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2009, 06:09:35 PM »
...(it's hard to do with an adult movie :laugh:)

I thought all adult movies were to do with hard! :devil:

:heat:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2009, 07:06:50 PM »
Karsten I don't know if the process will be automatic or you will have the final word on the review that goes on the front page, but don't forget that I've wrote some XXX movie reviews. Maybe it's something that you don't want on the homepage, since the words aren't familly friendly (it's hard to do with an adult movie :laugh:)
Maybe we have to introduce another column that shows the XXX state and then I can filter for it. Could you test it on one of your titles?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »
Add a column (adult) in the # category of the review list. Let me know if it works and I will add it to the other. But personally, I would prefer something less obvious like puting the title in bold or something like that in place of a new column. It make a distinction between the movie and I don't like that...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
OK, brain storming everyone. I need something to identify the movies without making it too obvious. It must be something that can be detected programatically.
Karsten

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »
The bold or italics bracket can't work? No way to program it to say that if it encounters [it][/it] in the title area this movie is excluded.

edit : I really like the italics we don't really see a difference.
edit : add the "t" in the bracket cause they don't appear with the "i" only
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:41:04 PM by Jimmy »

Touti

« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
Jimmy: Scanning the text of the post to search for tags is possible but it's really a pita and not guaranteed to be 100% efficient imo.  The only way I can think of right now is to validate the ID of the poster and "reject" any review posted by you but I don't think we want to do that because you don't only review adult material.

Is it really necessary to filter them out anyway ?  Nothing in the forum requires that you be a member to be able to see it, it's all public and it's all seen by the search engines and visible to anyone who comes to the site so does it really make a difference if some of those reviews are on the main page ?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:48:38 PM by Eric »

Najemikon

« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2009, 10:05:42 PM »
Could Jimmy have access to some sort of refresh option? I assume this will automatically pick reviews at random, so if he comes online and sees something he isn't comfortable with on the main page, smack the "PANIC!" button to force a new pick.

But I agree with Eric. I don't think there is any need to worry. We already have an albeit small number, but a decent cross-section of users all the same and no-one has ever complained. I really enjoy the fact that Jimmy can give so much substance to a genre most people dismiss out-of-hand.