Author Topic: On Pre-Order 2008-2013  (Read 108696 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: On Pre-Order
« Reply #705 on: April 22, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »
That sure looks like an update over the UK release I have so far.
The most interesting part is the interview with Jamie Lee Curtis who will be a long interview, it's not often she talks about the beginning of her career (guess Shout had to pay a good ammount to convice her). Also a transfer supervised by the DP is always a plus in my book.

I was supposed to wait and order later, but that convice me to pre-order.

I'll give it some thought; The Fog is by far not Carpenter's best, but I'd say it's a guilty pleasure of mine.
Maybe but it's better than Christine, In the Mouth of Madness, Ghosts of Mars or Memoirs of an Invisible Man...

I remember you said 88 Films releases are usually region free?
Yes this is what they told me and if you check their website you'll see they list their blu-ray as region free contrary to Amazon.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:39:25 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 22, 2013, 01:39:14 PM »
The most interesting part is the interview with Jamie Lee Curtis who will be a long interview, it's not often she talks about the beginning of her career (guess Shout had to pay a good ammount to convice her). Also a transfer supervised by the DP is always a plus in my book.

I was supposed to wait and order later, but that convice me to pre-order.
That sounds good (Curtis). And I totally agree on the DP supervised transfers; even better than director supervised, as Friedkin proved, I believe more than once...

I'll give it some thought; The Fog is by far not Carpenter's best, but I'd say it's a guilty pleasure of mine.
Maybe but it's better than Christine, In the Mouth of Madness, Ghosts of Mars or Memoirs of an Invisible Man...
I like In the Mouth of madness (another guilty pleasure, maybe...?), but especially the last two you mention are real stinkers.

Yes this is what they told me and if you check their website you'll see they list their blu-ray as region free contrary to Amazon.
I think last time you even e-mailed someone at the company... Thanks again.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 22, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »
I think last time you even e-mailed someone at the company... Thanks again.
Yes I did, they have writen the information after I asked them.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 02, 2013, 06:28:45 AM »
I told you that I order the movie I talk about... but I'll probably do an exception to my rule for the Evil Dead remake as everyone I know and trust as nothing good to say about it.
So what is the exception? You buying it even though everyone else is talking about it? Or you not buying it, even though you said you would?

I have yet to see it myself. Maybe it won't even come to the cinemas here :(

What I hear is, that it basically works as a straight forward horror film. However, that is basically all it does. Where the original created something special by injecting the humour into it the remake makes it a rather serious gore-fest which doesn't really stand out from the crowd anymore. The gore is well done (no or just little CGI), but it supposedly lacks actual scares. Although, it is hard to scare audiences in 2013...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 02, 2013, 06:52:42 AM »
So what is the exception?
I won't buy it... from what I got it isn't good and the end is an insult at the original. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, there is good new movies but they are hard to find...

Although, it is hard to scare audiences in 2013...
I don't even ask that to a movie as no movie scared me in a while (Henry is the last one who did it and it was in 86). If a movie make me jump a couple of time I'm happy :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:56:25 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 04, 2013, 03:25:54 AM »
Another one from Diabolik DVD (even if they are in the US, purchasing trough them cost me a lot less than it would at Amazon Canada from some label... even with the shipping who sure isn't free).

I've heard a lot of good things about that one who will be release next month (same day than House on Straw Hill).

Guess 2013 is the year where the blu-ray part of my collection will grow (25% of my purchases are blu-ray)...

BTW many good thing are coming from Shout Factory! but nothing pre-orderable (?) even if the announces are made.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:29:31 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 24, 2013, 02:24:44 AM »
This isn't because I won't buy anything else for a month that it means I've nothing coming for september ;D

So this is what I've on pre-order for september and october.

[

As you can see I don't plan to get many new horror titles for october, most of the announced titles are just too mainstream for my taste or I'm happy with what I have already...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:15:35 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 24, 2013, 02:55:28 AM »
God that look ugly and messy when the images are in different shape  :redcard:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 25, 2013, 06:32:10 AM »
God that look ugly and messy when the images are in different shape  :redcard:
That is why I use a table for the layout and then spend some time to sort them a bit :bag:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 02, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »
Some from Amazon Canada

Later in september

There are some interesting early exploitation films in that set

Got that one mostly for the october marathon... I know some of them are awfull or boring

Middle of october

The trailer was interesting... but I guess it will be an huge deception for me as usual with almost every recent films

Middle of december

Many good movies deserving much better than cheap multi-films released in those sets ... in fact that one piss me off a lot.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:17:16 PM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 02, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »
Coming out next week....

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #716 on: September 04, 2013, 03:48:57 AM »
I need to order that.

This reminds me...I pre-ordered Star Trek Into Darkness a month or 2 ago.

W0m6at

« Reply #717 on: September 04, 2013, 11:54:19 PM »
I've just done a coupla pre-orders. Normally I don't, but I figure I can pull these prior to release if I change my mind or am not happy with the price-drops. For Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I've had my eye firmly fixed on the US (Region-A locked) release for a while, but always prefer a Region-B friendly release where I can get it (so might miss out on watching it in HD this October  :()

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 06, 2013, 06:21:13 AM »
Some from Amazon Canada

Middle of october
THE PURGE
The trailer was interesting... but I guess it will be an huge deception for me as usual with almost every recent films
Saw this at the cinema and think you will most likely be disappointed.

I liked it for the most part. However, I feel some wrong decisions were made in the writing (there was more potential in the son's story which was not explored) and the end felt a it telegraphed (maybe that worked better for younger viewers, but I have seen too many films and know how things work...)

My partner did not like it at all. But not the film per se, but the fact such story even came to someones mind. It obviously reflects US American society to some extend and what we see here is not pleasant at all.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 06, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
Some from Amazon Canada

Middle of october
THE PURGE
Saw this at the cinema and think you will most likely be disappointed.

I liked it for the most part. However, I feel some wrong decisions were made in the writing (there was more potential in the son's story which was not explored) and the end felt a it telegraphed (maybe that worked better for younger viewers, but I have seen too many films and know how things work...)

My partner did not like it at all. But not the film per se, but the fact such story even came to someones mind. It obviously reflects US American society to some extend and what we see here is not pleasant at all.
US society ???

Thank you
David