Author Topic: Nintendo Wii  (Read 9522 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Nintendo Wii
« on: November 17, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
This past weekend Brittany went over to her grandmother's house for the weekend. While over there her grandmother spoiled her terribly again. This time she comes home with...

- A Wii Entertainment System (Sports Pack - 5 sports games)
- A Wii Controller Recharging Station
- Ben 10: Alien Force (game)

Needless to say that when she got home yesterday afternoon she was eager for me to hook it up for her. So we hooked it up in the living room for her... and went on to create our Mii Characters. Mii Characters is basically a player that you can create to resemble yourself to play on many Wii games. When Brittany got done hers... I was like her Mii Character looks very familiar to me... and I can't place it.

So after hooking up the game and creating our characters Brittany tests out the game play... playing Ben 10 Alien Force. She did this for a good while until dinner was ready. After dinner Brittany asked if I wanted to play a game with her for a while. So of course I said sure. And we went in and popped in Wii Sports.

Th Wii Sports disc has 5 sports games on the one disc. It includes...
- Boxing
- Baseball
- Bowling
- Golf
- Tennis

First she wanted to play the Bowling game. And I whooped her butt on bowling... Thank you very much!  ;D

Then we decided to play golf. While playing golf it hit me! Who her character reminded me of! Velma from Scooby Doo!  :laugh: So of course I have no choice but to start calling her Velma. And what does she do to get even? She destroyed me on the golf game! Whipped my like a redheaded step-child!   :-[  Naturally I can't let that go... so I challenged her to a rematch. And what happens on the rematch? she whipped my but again like there was no tomorrow! OK.. OK I know when I am beat so I had to admit that golf is just not my game. By the time the second golf game was over it was time for Brittany to take her shower and get ready for bed.

Now I have to wonder what will happen tonight. Which games will she want to try out. I think I will be alright as long as she don't want to play golf again!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 04:51:32 PM »
I hope I haven't got this video from here, but this is really cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »
Now I have to wonder what will happen tonight. Which games will she want to try out. I think I will be alright as long as she don't want to play golf again!  :laugh:

Tennis all the way. It's my favorite of the five. It's fast paced, you can put effects on the ball AND control where it goes.

Golf is way too hard to judge the swing strength, and the game is too unforgiving and totally destroys you if you swing too hard with hooks and slices.

Bowling is OK. I think it's a bit too sensitive on the wrist movement (ball curving to the left or right), but you can compensate this by positioning the player on screen before the throw.

Baseball is fun, but it's too simple. You have no control on anything. Just swing the bat or throw the ball. That's it. No fielding ... no base stealing. Fielders are very prone to errors too. Just be careful when pitching: it can wreck havoc with the elbow in no time once you realize the strength you put into the throw actually affects the pitches.

I hate boxing. Well, it's fun at first, when the AI controlled boxer fight fair. But once you get to PRO level, the AI boxer lean on the side and punch you from there. Now, it wouldn't too bad, but the freakin' controls are messed up, and I can NEVER lean low enough to hit them. SO I get my ass handed to me every time. Of course, more "serious" gamers would tell me I just suck at it, but it shouldn't be THAT hard. Also, the game is weird at punch detection. You'll be punching like a mad man, and the game will register 1 in 10 punches.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »
Wow, Pete becomes a gamer. :yu:

Well, it's interesting. Since I own a PS3 I have followed the market a bit (well, mainly to look for interesting games and such). The Wii is still by FAR (and that means a real long stretch) the biggest selling console of them all. Shoartages are expected for the third X-Mas season in a row! As it's apparently so much fun, I am occasionally thinnking if I should add one to my home :laugh: (but then I may have to get the third one as well, just to play those exclusives) and that would rtealy be too much...).

Karsten, that was really an amazing video. Thanks for that.

I hate boxing. Well, it's fun at first, when the AI controlled boxer fight fair. But once you get to PRO level, the AI boxer lean on the side and punch you from there. Now, it wouldn't too bad, but the freakin' controls are messed up, and I can NEVER lean low enough to hit them.
Yah, it's usually the games' controls that hinder us from succeeding :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:22:13 PM »

Tennis all the way. It's my favorite of the five. It's fast paced, you can put effects on the ball AND control where it goes.

Golf is way too hard to judge the swing strength, and the game is too unforgiving and totally destroys you if you swing too hard with hooks and slices.

Bowling is OK. I think it's a bit too sensitive on the wrist movement (ball curving to the left or right), but you can compensate this by positioning the player on screen before the throw.

Baseball is fun, but it's too simple. You have no control on anything. Just swing the bat or throw the ball. That's it. No fielding ... no base stealing. Fielders are very prone to errors too. Just be careful when pitching: it can wreck havoc with the elbow in no time once you realize the strength you put into the throw actually affects the pitches.

I hate boxing. Well, it's fun at first, when the AI controlled boxer fight fair. But once you get to PRO level, the AI boxer lean on the side and punch you from there. Now, it wouldn't too bad, but the freakin' controls are messed up, and I can NEVER lean low enough to hit them. SO I get my ass handed to me every time. Of course, more "serious" gamers would tell me I just suck at it, but it shouldn't be THAT hard. Also, the game is weird at punch detection. You'll be punching like a mad man, and the game will register 1 in 10 punches.

Thanks... I went in the living room a little bit ago to check it out a little more. and checked out a little on each game. I pretty much agree with everything you said. Though I will say my taste of tennis makes me know that it will take a lot of practice. I couldn't get too far at all on my first try! LOL

One thing I really thought was cool is being able to hook it up to the net so she can play games with people all around the world... as well as browse the net. I have a cable modem in the living room... so I really need to see what it will take to hook it up to the net.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:23:58 PM »
I hate boxing. Well, it's fun at first, when the AI controlled boxer fight fair. But once you get to PRO level, the AI boxer lean on the side and punch you from there. Now, it wouldn't too bad, but the freakin' controls are messed up, and I can NEVER lean low enough to hit them.

Of course! Skill has nothing to do with it! If I'm not good at a game, it's the controls that are too convoluted! ;)

Same as with professional sports player: when they miss a shot, it's the equipment (notice tennis players, they'll look at their racket. Goalies will look at their skates when they lose balance, etc etc etc)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »
Wow, Pete becomes a gamer. :yu:

Well, it's interesting. Since I own a PS3 I have followed the market a bit (well, mainly to look for interesting games and such). The Wii is still by FAR (and that means a real long stretch) the biggest selling console of them all. Shoartages are expected for the third X-Mas season in a row! As it's apparently so much fun, I am occasionally thinnking if I should add one to my home :laugh: (but then I may have to get the third one as well, just to play those exclusives) and that would rtealy be too much...).

Karsten, that was really an amazing video. Thanks for that.

I will be honest with you... when I saw the commercials for this my first thoughts were... Looks too much like exercise to me... NO THANKS!  :laugh: But after playing it a little last night I have to admit... it is really a lot of fun. The whole family was in the living room watching us play (and playing themselves a little) all of us having a great time playing... and laughing at each other (as well as at ourselves) at how terrible we were at these games.  :laugh:
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 06:26:04 PM »
One thing I really thought was cool is being able to hook it up to the net so she can play games with people all around the world... as well as browse the net. I have a cable modem in the living room... so I really need to see what it will take to hook it up to the net.

You'll need a wireless router (the Wii supports B and G wireless networks), or the Nintendo PC connect kit (which you connect to a PC through USB, if I'm not mistaken).

Then it's only a matter of giving your friend code to someone else (me for instance ;)) and then play with them!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 06:31:12 PM »
Thanks... this is something I will have to look into. I was thinking it might be pretty cool to have it hooked up to the net for her on Christmas Morning. That is if we can get away with making her wait that long!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »
I'm sure look like a dinausor with my console game. I have bought a Playstation 2 many years ago don't really like it and give it to my sister. In fact I've more fun playing with the SNES, maybe because I'm a fan of old RPG game style. Sure I don't play it on tv anymore since I've give my SNES too, but with an emulator on my computer it's better since it's possible to play a lot of Japanese RPG that was never translate by Nintendo America.

In fact I play since friday with Ogre Battle that's why I've not watch a lot of dvd. Sure the graphics aren't the best, but this is really a challenging and addictive game  ;D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »
Looking at you guys, I think I will have to stay firm and wait for another good Bluray player, other than the PS3 ;)
I don't need another time and money-consuming hobby  :P

RossRoy

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »
I don't need another time and money-consuming hobby  :P

Yeah, that's a problem! ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 09:23:17 PM »
Of course this Wii is my daughter's play thing... but I will find some time now and again to play on it.  :P
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 09:29:21 PM »
You know, if you want to explore what the Wii has to offer, one of my favorite game on the system is Trauma Center (either New Blood or Second Opinion). I find it's a great game.

Also, there's the classics: Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
Thanks... will make up a list and buy some now and again.
Pete