Author Topic: Opinions Please  (Read 3876 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Opinions Please
« on: October 02, 2008, 06:13:16 PM »
OK... I just went through the Horror sales at Amazon and Deep Discount. And came up with what I will most likely order tomorrow  morning when I get paid. Was wondering what you think of the selection as I never seen most of these.... is there any I should reconsider?

100 Years of Horror: Complete Collection
This one was suggested by someone here... sorry I forget who... maybe Jimmy?

The Abominable Dr. Phibes / Dr. Phibes Rises Again!
Complete Blind Buy... but I like Vincent Price

Amityville Dollhouse
Don't remember ever seeing this one... but I usually like the Amityville movies.

Borderland
I have usually enjoyed these independent horror movies from After Dark Horrorfest so trying to get them all.

Campfire Tales
I don't remember ever seeing this one before... but I usually like Anthology Horrors.

Cemetery Man
I forget who right off... but someone on Invelos suggested this one.

Chopping Mall
I am not sure... but I believe this is a movie I enjoyed when I was a teen.

The curse of Lizzie Borden
Owning up to the deal I made. :P

The Descent
I forget who right off... but someone suggested this one a while back when I watched The Cave... at least I think this is the one. :P

Diary of the Dead
I all of the other Romero zombie movies... so looking forward to watching this one too.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
I haven't seen this one in a while... think it got a bad word of mouth due to no Micheal Myers.

The Haunting
Never seen the original before!

Howling 4: The Original Nightmare
Blind Buy

Lost Boys: The Tribe
Blind Buy... heard it sucked... but want to see this one for myself.

The Mist
Blind Buy... but I normally enjoy Stephen King's work.

Mulberry St.
I have usually enjoyed these independent horror movies from After Dark Horrorfest so trying to get them all.

Nightmare Man

Pulse
Blind Buy... a recommendation from a friend.

Reincarnation
I have usually enjoyed these independent horror movies from After Dark Horrorfest so trying to get them all. Will be my first Japanese horror... hope I can deal with the subtitles. :P

Ring Around The Rosie
Blind Buy... Read Jimmy's review... was cheap so thought I would take a chance.

Saw IV
Blind Buy... but I enjoyed the previous ones.

Tooth and Nail

Unearthed

So that is what I believe my order for tomorrow will be if nothing happens between now and then. Or unless someone here convinces me otherwise on any of them. So thoughts?
Pete

RossRoy

Re: Opinions Please
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 06:27:27 PM »
I'm happy to report I haven't seen any of those, so I'll look forward to your comments! ;)

I own Saw IV though, and I loved parts I-II-III, so it must be good!  :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »
The Abominable Dr. Phibes / Dr. Phibes Rises Again!
I own the second part and I like it, you can't go wrong with a Vincent Price's movie of this period  ;D

Cemetery Man
I own this one too and I'm sure that you will like it and as a big bonus Anna Falchi  :drooling:

The curse of Lizzie Borden
Worst "movie" I've seen in my life  :laugh:, but can't wait to read your review of this "movie"

Howling 4
For what I've read this is the worst movie in this franchise. When a movie is worst than Howling 2 this isn't a good sign

Ring Around The Rosie
You will probably like this one, as my review said this is not a bad movie it just missed some development.

Amityville Dollhouse
I've seen this one a long time ago and this is not really good. But the only film in this franchise that I like is the second one.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:14:51 PM »
Thanks Jimmy.. though Howling IV has me a little worried now. That is a $3.99 dvd so I may replace it with another 3.99 DVD. Think I will replace it with...

Night Scream
Starring: Candance Cameron, Teri Garr
Drew is a young woman who drives to a small town she has never been to while in a trance. A year ago in this town Laura, who looked just like Drew, was murdered. Everyone assumed that Laura's boyfriend Teddie who went missing at the same time as the murder had done it, but Drew starts having dream sequences and trances that imply otherwise. Gradually through investigation and with the guidance of more visions from Laura, Drew uncovers the story behind the murders.

it seems to be a made for TV Movie.

Or maybe...

The Nurse
When her father kills himself and his family after being named in an embezzlement scandal, nurse Laura Harriman vows revenge on the man responsible. She soon gets her chance when his accuser suffers a stroke that leaves him paralyzed and mute - the perfect victim. After becoming his private nurse, the "angel of death" sets out on a psychotic killing spree that will complete her descent into madness and destroy an innocent family...one by one

What you think?.... do either of those sound like a good replacement for Howling IV?
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:48:42 PM »

What you think?.... do either of those sound like a good replacement for Howling IV?

I think you should get ALL of them! :devil:

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:51:33 PM »
The Dr. Phibes double bill is a definite and I haven't even seen it! :hysterical: But you can never go wrong with Vincent Price. In fact, see if they have The Raven. It is a wonderful comedy-horror with Price, Boris Karloff and even Jack Nicholson.

It may have been me pushing for you to see The Descent. Sadly, you'll be watching the R1 version I take it, with the rubbish ending because the studio thought Americans wouldn't understand the original. ::)

You may have seen my review of Diary of the Dead, but suffice to say, I liked it. I know you watch all your movies with an open mind, so I'm sure you'll like it to, though it may be a little tame compared to the earlier entries and other zombie movies.

Also a bit tame will be The Haunting, but it still gets under your skin. Probably the very best ghost story ever filmed. Although knowing you, you probably prefer the terrible remake! :tease:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:09:01 PM »
I don't know any of those two films, but if I've too choose I'll pass the first one. Usually made for tv horror movie doesn't means good and if it's help it was shown of the basic US cable (NBC).

But since you don't have it why not try The Howling 3, it's not great but it's different, better than the second part and I have like it when I've seen it many years ago.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 11:43:49 PM »
It may have been me pushing for you to see The Descent. Sadly, you'll be watching the R1 version I take it, with the rubbish ending because the studio thought Americans wouldn't understand the original. ::)

Descent was the only movie I saw of the ones mentioned and I was going to recommend it. But reading this now, I am not so sure. The ending I have seen (in German theaters) I really liked.

(click to show/hide)

What is the American ending?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 12:27:41 AM »
Thanks guys...
On the Descent... It is the region 1 version... but it says on the front cover Original Unrated Cut. Is this not true?

Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:33:20 AM »
I looked at a good German site which shows the differences of different cuts of movies.
Here is the difference of the Descent Rated-Unrated cuts. Seems to be, that the only difference is, that the Rated cut omits the original ending. Therefore you seem to have the good version, Pete. Please do not follow the link, as it would spoil the ending for you.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 12:38:38 AM »
Just check on IMDB (we can use it here  :laugh:) and this edition have the original ending.

"The unrated cut features the complete ending of the original British release."

I confirm that Tom is right.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 01:24:44 AM »
cool!... Thanks guys!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 06:39:21 AM »
I have actually not seen many of the above list but just by cover and "flair" I would personally want to stay clear of:

Amityville Dollhouse
The Lost Boys: The Tribe (really loads of bad reviews)
Pusle (I have read loads of bad stuff about this one)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 06:53:40 AM »
Thanks... but just placed the order... as for Lost Boys I read nothing but bad too... but I still wanted to see it for myself. I did take off Howling IV... but ended up adding more then 1 to replace it. :P I am so weak! :P I will post what all I ordered in the what you got thread.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »
[...] I did take off Howling IV... but ended up adding more then 1 to replace it. :P I am so weak! :P
Just make sure there's still money to buy food for Brittany. You are of course freeto exchange your rations against DVD.