Author Topic: Computer recommendations  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Computer recommendations
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:22:14 PM »
I bought my first computer,a Dell laptop, a little less than 2 years ago; I'm afraid it was a lemon. While it was under warrenty I had to replace: the hard drive (twice!); the soft drive (I think that's what it was called); the key board; the battery. On Tuesday night the whole thing shut down and all I get is a black screen.  >:( I don't think I'm going to have it fixed again; I think I'd rather buy a new one and throw this one out the window and stomp on it.
Sooo, after this long tirade, I'd like to know what type of computer you use and what you would recommend I get. :thanks:

RossRoy

Re: Computer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:24:15 PM »
Kathy, you do realise that with the question you just asked, you are going to get some very technical answer?

Personally, I've always bought separate parts that I assembled myself. I prefer this, as I have more control over what goes in the computer. Never had much problems before, and I very rarely hear back from past customer, usually around 2-3 years later, saying " I need a new computer? Can you set me up? ". So I guess I do good work (or maybe I just stink too much :bag:)

You didn't really say what you plan on doing with the computer, so it's a little hard to recommend something. Chances are just about anything on the market today will be powerful enough for your needs, unless you do some serious gaming and/or video editing.

Halo2

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:09:48 AM »
With regards to your current computer, it sounds like the system board has died or possibly memory. First thing to try is to reseat the memory modules. There are probably two and they can either both be under a door on the bottom of the laptop or the main module under the keyboard and one under the door on the bottom. If you can find them, try reseating them. Take the battery out and disconnect AC power first and then completly remove and reinstall the modules. Then close up everything you took off, reattach power and try starting the laptop. The modules can work loose and your laptop would exhibit the symptoms you describe.

Next, if you do have two memory modules, try taking just one out and see if it boots. Then try putting the one you took out back in and take the other one out and try again. One of the modules could be bad. Also, memory is realativly cheap. You could buy a new module and try starting the laptop with just the new one installed.

If all that fails, it is probably your system board and it would cost about half as much as buying a new laptop. If you do get a new laptop, save your old hard drive and place it in an external drive case. That way you will have access to your data from the old unit.

As Ross said, unless you have specific needs for a more powerfull computer, most all of the units available will be adequate. Myself, I have a combination of servers, workstations, desktops and laptops. Most are OEM units, a couple are units I bought the parts and assembled myself.

If I can be of any assistance on setting up your new unit, if you go that route, PM me and we can talk further. Good luck, I hope it is only one memory module that needs to be reseated. And I'm sorry if I was too technical.

Touti

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 12:12:59 AM »
My best advice is to read as many "How to buy a computer" articles as your brain can digest.  There's tons of it available with a simple google search.

Get yourself familiar with the terminology.  Make sure you know what processors, cpus, hard disks, memory etc are.  You want to understand what you're being told in the stores or the specs that you read on manufacturer's web site.

Keep one very important thing in mind.  I.T people are the worst advisors for someone who needs help buying a PC.  There's been many studies done in the last few years about that and almost invariably, I.T people tend to make people buy what they would want for themselves.

You really have to make a list of what you plan to use the computer for and make sure you get a machine that will be good for that.

And my most important advice.  If you buy from a chain retail store, never forget that the sales rep will not be pushing what's the best PC for you, he will be pushing for what's the best sale for him because most are paid by commissions.

Halo2

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:38:08 AM »
Touti, I resemble that remark. As an IT person doing deskside service, I get asked that question quite often and I agree with you. Just because the specs on a system make me  :drooling:, doesn't mean it's right for you. I also have to remain neutral with respects to all OEMs as I work on all of them.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:41:55 AM »
IT advisor's are not the worst! I'm one of them! This has been my job for years, predominantly with HP equipment. Because of that, I have a tendency to rubbish Dell, so your post made me laugh! However, I'm not being fair. Every manufacturer makes its lemons, including HP.

I don't mean to tread on your toes, Touti, but in my experience, the happiest average computer users are the ones who know the least about the technology, but spent their money wisely. I do agree with you like Halo, on one level, but as a professional, I'll stake my reputation on saying I have never recommended a level of technology based on what I use. I play games and edit video; I assume Kathy does not. No need to get complicated at all. And certainly no drool!

You don't necessarily have to get a technical answer, Kathy. I agree with Ross and also always build my own PCs for both myself and others. It's cheaper and better quality. But you have to know and trust someone like us before going down that road. With ready built PCs you get a one-stop point of contact in case it does go wrong; with home built, you need to find who built it, hope he's willing to diagnose the problem and sort it out for you.

The first thing to be aware of, is buy what you need, not what you think you want or what salesmen think you want. You don't need the fastest processor and the biggest hard drive; you need decent, reliable stuff. Unless you play games, even the most average computer will suffice. I'm repeating Ross, but it's very important.

You mentioned laptop. Is that what you're looking at again? I'd seriously consider not if you don't need to carry it around. On the plus side, a laptop looks smart, runs quiet, nice screen, takes up little room. But on the minus, the equivalent desktop is much cheaper and should last longer. Also, as you have found, problems on a laptop are exaggerated and frequently terminal; a broken screen for instance is horrifically expensive.

But whichever type you choose, the next point is most important. Look at the bands of cost versus specification (not that you have to know what it all means). I've always thought of computer models fitting three broad groups:

The cheapest will be models as much as a year old. The blunt edge of technology, but the fact they're still being sold proves their reliability and popularity. I bet they would do everything you wanted pretty efficiently, but it would age quickly.

The next batch are the current models, the ones businesses will be buying in bulk because their IT guy tells them "just get twenty of those, they'll be fine". Sparkier technology than the first group, with a much longer projected lifespan, but still worn in long enough to be proven. Any problems, you've got current technology, easily updated or replaced depending on needs. This is the group I think you should concentrate on.

The last batch are the expensive high-end PCs the shops want you to buy. All the crazy figures going through the ceiling, all the magical things it can do! The best attraction to a new user is the long life and show-off points (unless you're a gamer and need the power). But technology can be too new sometimes. If it hasn't been proven, it may be flaky. In a way, it's why I'm holding off from buying HD for DVDs. Sooner or later, one formats going to win. It's the same with PCs. The middle group already won.

When you look at a particular range, don't pick the cheapest, don't pick the most expensive, go straight between the two and you won't go wrong. Stick the model in Google and look for reviews. And tell us of course.

One last consideration, again plumping for that middle ground. Microsoft have recently released Windows Vista and most likely it will come as standard. It takes a big PC to run properly, so the cheapest machines will struggle. Also avoid offers that include packs of software preinstalled; it'll be a load of stuff you don't need in the long run, slowing everything down.

In summary, I truly believe you could walk into a reputable shop (Target? I'm not sure of names in the US!), blindfolded, hand over an average amount of cash and get a decent reliable PC that will see you through five years. All without mentioning what a gigabyte is...

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 01:00:16 AM »
Whoops! I forgot something...

I would also look closely at PCs marketed to businesses, not homes. In real computing terms, there's no difference, but I worked for a business IT provider; HP PCs for the home (Pavillion's I think the name was) were over the top and prone to problems. The business range (Compaq's) were sleeker and more straightforward.

A few years ago I realised HP were using different parts though. The business PCs used a lower grade power supply. This meant that upgrading was difficult; the power wasn't there for the latest 3d video cards, though processor and memory were the same as the home PCs. This sounds like a bad point, but you couldn't tell the difference in general computing, while the business range were quieter and cheaper to run. And I had far fewer repairs than on the home range.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 07:06:30 PM »
I will be using the computer strictly for personal use (I don't play video games). I don't know anything about computers but will spend the next week or so researching information on them. The devil Dell I got was included in the master's program I enrolled in so everything was done for me. Too bad everyone lives so far away or I could have one of you experts build me one! Thank you all for your input.

Buefox75

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 07:41:47 PM »
Buy a Mac! You'll never regret it. ;D

I'm an IT guy too and I love recommending Macs because it drives most other techies berserk.

But in all seriousness, look at the tech articles that Touti suggested, learn all you can and most importantly, think about what you want to do with the computer and go from there.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 07:47:40 PM »
Buy a Mac! You'll never regret it. ;D

I'm an IT guy too and I love recommending Macs because it drives most other techies berserk.
I bought a Mac recently; a MacBook to be precise. I am only using it occasionally for some internet surfing but I have come to like it a lot. It's simple and therefore easy to use; obviously for someone having used MS Windows for years it needs some getting used to...

Unfortunately DVD Profiler doesn't run on it. Not with Wine (others have tried) and not with CrossOver (a commercial version of Wine; I tried myself). I am hesitant to run a dual boot system on the Mac, or even something like Parallels, as it just wouldn't feel right. Otherwise I'd be sure already that my next main computer purchase would be a Mac.