Author Topic: 300  (Read 5961 times)

Touti

Re: 300
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »
Are you still happy you bought the special set with the helmet and all or do you regret your buy ?

RossRoy

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 03:15:12 PM »
I'm still happy I got the helmet and all.

I used to think I had bought the movie, with the helmet as the bonus.

After seeing the movie, I'll convince myself that I bought a Helmet, and the movie was the bonus ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 02:43:26 PM »
For those who didn't enjoy 300 quite as much, there is a remake of the the trailer, of sorts... (somebody posted this in the German forum and I thought it'll cheer you up :clap:

Touti

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 03:08:45 PM »
For those who didn't enjoy 300 quite as much, there is a remake of the the trailer, of sorts... (somebody posted this in the German forum and I thought it'll cheer you up :clap:

That version definitely looks much more interesting  :hysterical:

Najemikon

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 03:42:49 AM »
Well I've finally watched it and it was utterly brilliant! I think most of the comments here against it have missed the point by quite some considerable margin.  :tease:

I should qualify my post by stating that I am a long term comics fan. Some of you seem to imply that you didn't even know it was a comic. Then you are not well informed or well read and your fragile sensibilities are not prepared for the mental assault a good comic can provide, even over cinema in some cases.  :devil: And again with the :tease: I am fully subscribed to the visual power Frank Miller's graphic novels have and I wanted to see it on screen. I got that. That's a plus point right there. Over stylised violence and lashings of blood is what I was expecting. Good job well done.

You also complain about cliches? This story is so old it earned the right to be a cliche a long time ago! It wouldn't have done it justice to do it half-cocked. And anyway, how the heck can you do a story about a society founded on and built for warfare, and then try and be subtle? The story of this battle is probably the source for those basic, overplayed themes of honour, insurmountable odds, family far away, etc, that we've come to know so well. So they can get away with it because it's near enough true. I'd have actually been disappointed if some of the cheesiness wasn't there. Somehow it underlines the overall theme and enriches it. The whole story sounds so absurd that pulling back on the acting and dialogue would have been self defeating.

300 is supposed to be a collection of simple and brutal metaphors. Yes, all the traitors are ugly, but this is clever when driving home the idea of Sparta, a society that murders its own children if they are weak in any way.

In the end, you can junk all this waffle. The fact is, this brilliant film is perfect as a wind down movie any time. You know what you're going to get and you get plenty of it!

Touti

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 03:58:46 AM »
Would it be an abuse of my admin privileges if I took a point off Najemikon's for overusing the  :tease: smiley ?

If so then, as Montcalm said to Wolfe before the battle of the planes of Abraham "Je vous rĂ©pondrai par la bouche de mes canons".  In english this means  :tease: :tease: and  :tease: yourself.

:laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 01:15:21 PM »
 :hysterical:

RossRoy

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 11:22:50 PM »
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but here's a version of 300 we might all like. And it's definitely straight to the point! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDPck8dsBrc

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 06:10:10 PM »
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but here's a version of 300 we might all like. And it's definitely straight to the point! ;)

This excerpt makes the movie look too cool. IMHO, it does not deserve such attention  :P

Touti

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
I think the funniest one is "Amadeus"

RossRoy

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »
I think the funniest one is "Amadeus"

I'm partial to American Beauty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbS4fSCljGI

The one for Hook is good too, especially Hook's face at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk3t9hz-3b0