Author Topic: 300  (Read 5960 times)

Buefox75

« on: August 01, 2007, 06:05:06 PM »
So, I finally was able to watch 300 last night. I'd missed it in theaters and have kicked myself since.

Whew. It was probably the most testosterone-charged movie I've seen in a long time. I was blown away, entirely. It may have been inaccurate historically and it may have been "demeaning" to the Iranians but I haven't been that charged up after a movie in a long while.

The green/blue screen effects really made it possible to set some amazing mood shots and the actors really gave it their all. Gerard Butler has come a long way since Dracula 2000.

I liked that there wasn't a huge effort to cram a sweeping backstory into the film, and the establishing elements, like the Spartan training and the discarding, weren't played for more than they were.

I think I'll go home and watch it again...and again...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: 300
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:44:18 AM »
I really liked the movie except for two things.

Most of the traitors where deformed (the priests on that mountain, the one who couldn't wield a shield) and it made the impression that "ugly" people aren't trustworthy in general.

The second thing was this scene with the boss' wife before the Spartan council. I got the feeling it tried to give the movie some depth where there really was none. IMHO the scene should be cut in a DC because it slows the movie down without making it better.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 01:07:16 AM »
I haven't seen it yet and do want to, but I heard it came into criticism for racism, because of that same complaint, Karsten. Iran banned it because historically they are Persian and felt it was a metaphor for the present. I think the film was defended on the grounds that it is faithful to the comic, which in turn is defended as simply being entirely from the Spartan point of view, and present their history as a glorious legend.

SailorRipley

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 02:23:19 AM »
Most of the traitors where deformed (the priests on that mountain, the one who couldn't wield a shield) and it made the impression that "ugly" people aren't trustworthy in general.

What are you talking about? Ugly people AREN'T trustworthy!

:tease:

All in all, I still think it's a good movie but that's about it. I really didn't catch the racism overtones, or maybe I was too busy complaining about how fake the whole thing looked. I didn't even know this was based on a comic book (graphic novels nanay, they're still freaking comic books), which I usually don't enjoy.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:10:34 AM »
Iran banned it because historically they are Persian and felt it was a metaphor for the present.
That on the other hand is IMHO total BS. I've never seen any Iranian in that movie only Persians and Spartans. But I've never seen Italians in Spartacus movies, too - only Romans.

And if you really want to look at it from that angle, it would present itself as such: A technological superior but decadent country attacks with an huge army. But the totally outnumbered defenders hold the line to the last man based on their faith and dying in the knowledge that they defend their home country from the enemy.

And now one could ask the question of who is really who.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:41:09 AM »
Going to watch 300 now.  Back in 2 hours to post my comments.

Touti

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 05:01:30 AM »
Well.  What to say ?
 :headscratch:

I hated it from beginning to end.  I had to force myself to watch it to the end, I even fast forwarded the last 8 minutes.  So why did I hate this when I consider myself easy public ?  Because it's totally uninteresting. 

(click to show/hide)

Overall: A bad script, re-using ideas from others with absolutely no new ideas or creativity, badly played by bad actors.  Whoever came up with this is trying to impress beyond his abilities.  Another perfect example of hollywood's new trend of picking a cheap script, cheap actors and use them as a base to make a new visual computer program..........

For me it's a bad buy, not worth breaking my 10$ rules, I regret buying it.

Score: 1/5

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 05:09:08 AM by Touti »

RossRoy

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 05:33:35 AM »
I hated it from beginning to end.  I had to force myself to watch it to the end, I even fast forwarded the last 8 minutes.  So why did I hate this when I consider myself easy public ?  Because it's totally uninteresting. 

:o

It's a blind buy for me.. Not really reassuring!  :fingerchew:

Touti

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 01:14:01 PM »

:o

It's a blind buy for me.. Not really reassuring!  :fingerchew:

Don't rely only my evaluation.  Others who posted before me liked it and everybody at work yesterday told me it was a great movie.

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 02:48:28 PM »
Don't rely only my evaluation.  Others who posted before me liked it and everybody at work yesterday told me it was a great movie.

Well, it's too late anyway, so we'll see when I get to watch it what I think.

Touti

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 02:58:36 PM »
The movie is called 300 because it's about 300 men.  I didn't read anything about it before buying it so I didn't know that, I thought it was something happening in 300 A.D.  It's very possible that I was disapointed because it's not at all what I expected.  I thought I was going to see an epic movie about something "true" that happened 2300 years ago.

I was kind of left on my appetite and that probably counts for a lot in my evaluation......but I maintain that they gave a xerxes character a really stupid voice that doesn't go with his face.

lyonsden5

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 04:11:32 PM »
The movie is called 300 because it's about 300 men.  I didn't read anything about it before buying it so I didn't know that, I thought it was something happening in 300 A.D.  It's very possible that I was disapointed because it's not at all what I expected.  I thought I was going to see an epic movie about something "true" that happened 2300 years ago.

I was kind of left on my appetite and that probably counts for a lot in my evaluation......but I maintain that they gave a xerxes character a really stupid voice that doesn't go with his face.

Agree on the voice not matching the face, but the voice did match the size of the character. He must have been 7' tall.

For those who haven't seen it I'll use the nifty new spoiler feature for my next comment  :thumbup:

(click to show/hide)

Touti

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 04:26:39 PM »
(click to show/hide)

For me it's a question of credibility.  The first most important thing in the movie is that I can allow myself to believe the story and embark in it.  For that to happen, characters have to be credible, if I can't believe in the characters I can't believe in the story and it turns me off.

This voice they gave him is not credible, they could have done the very thing you are describing without giving the guy a voice that doesn't belong.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »
Well, Touti, it was made after Frank Miller's graphic novel... So, no realism expected, really.

If you want to see something closer to the real thing, I would expect "The 300 Spartans" (1962) to deliver a little better. Note: I have not seen The 300 Spartans myself and can therefore not judge it at all!

RossRoy

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 03:09:37 AM »
I gave in after so many people told me how great this is, and watched 300. I just finished watching. Well, I have mixed feelings.

The visuals are great, but being based on a Frank Miller comic, that's no surprise. Too much green screen and computer effects for my taste, but still, it was enjoyable. The basic background story is nice, it is based on 300 men defending "freedom" after all, so what's not to like about that?

But, there are so many cliché it's not even funny. I won't enumerate them, but you could see all of them from miles away. I don't know how it is in the graphic novel, but the movie feels really thin to me because of all the cliché.

All in all, this, to me, is a no more than a popcorn flick. Something to get out among friends to pass time.

I'd give 2.5 out of 5