Author Topic: These stupid things they keep doing that bothers me  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: These stupid things they keep doing that bothers me
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 02:41:24 PM »
Menstruation. This is an unknown phenomenon. All females appear to be immune to it.
Men too!
:o

Sanuye

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 02:54:02 PM »

Buefox75

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 11:38:06 PM »
My dad once told me perhaps the wisest thing I've ever heard him say and I refer to it these many years later:

We were watching a movie and I asked, out loud, "Why did she do that?" My father, droll redneck that he is, put down his drink and replied, "Because it's in the script."

His delivery was so classic and it was so stupid it was funny, and I think I sprayed Dr. Pepper out my nose.

So, now when my wife asks me a pointless question while watching a movie, I just throw that at her and wait for her head to explode.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 12:44:22 PM »
We were watching a movie and I asked, out loud, "Why did she do that?" My father, droll redneck that he is, put down his drink and replied, "Because it's in the script."
:laugh:

My answer to that question usually is:

"If he/she/they didn't, the movie would be over..."

tlevel

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 12:16:34 AM »
Great posts, haven't seen this one though.

How two actors can hear each other talk no matter what the setting. (Driving down the freeway in two cars with the windows open, in a crowded nightclub, from a helicoptor to the street below..etc.)

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »
I was searching for a keyword and ran across this topic, so, MAJOR BUMP! :P

Not that any of these happen all of the time nor would I want the changes in all films, but here are the annoyances that I can think of that I don't believe I saw listed:

The scene involves a massive explosion and usually two guys (but sometimes only one and very rarely more than two.)  It can be an attempt to disarm a bomb or they are breaking free where a bomb was set to kill them. They haul ass for a solid minute trying to get away, but then, two seconds before the explosion, instant slow-motion and it takes 10 seconds between the final lunge and for their bodies to hit the ground.

That no one is ever affected by the pressure wave caused by an explosion unless it's atomic sized.

Phone batteries that last 10 full days without needing to be recharged yet quickly "gravel out" and die the moment it is needed the most.

Ninjas -- who are supposed to be trained in stealth -- jump right out in front of the good guy for hand-to-hand combat.

The scene: there's a group of bad guys or guards with guns. The two heroes are 20 feet apart hiding behind crates assessing the situation. Somehow, they can read each others lips or hear each other's voices that speak so softly even we, the viewer, can barely hear. Along with this, despite being a shopkeeper and an accountant, both of them know military "sign language" just in case they can't read lips well enough.  (I love the scene in Mr. & Mrs. Smith when they start arguing with each other using these techniques :laugh:)

People getting shot by a handgun and flying backwards 10 feet.

"Which do I cut? The red or blue wire?" What? There are no green and orange wires instead?  (There's an opening scene of a Family Guy episode that I love. It shows mini-clips -- about 5 seconds each -- of stereotyped story ideas. One of them is, "What do you mean, 'Cut the blue wire?' They're ALL blue wires!")

The super-hottie always truthfully falls in love with the ugly nerd, leaving the hansom bad boy behind. (Where was that type of girl while I was growing up?!) unless he lets her go, leaving her extremely depressed.

A fearful, voiceless, or savant character throughout the entire film ends up being brave at the very last moment, performing the only heroic act in his life to save the day (which is usually something simple like untying a rope to make the theater curtain ballast fall on the bad guy's head.)

That there aren't enough last-minute, shocking, unhappy endings. The whole battle is fought. The good guys win, though at the cost of all lives except for one. Two days later, he mourns at a funeral for his comrades, and as he walks with one of the wives, he gets shot by the lone bad guy that sneaked away during the battle who then kills himself.
(click to show/hide)

Either everyone speaks English that needs to be understood, or if you run across a guy that doesn't, 10 feet away is someone else who overhears the conversation and is willing to translate.

Anyone who gets buried alive or trapped in an area far underground either still has enough light to see despite no sun or always has a match or flashlight with him. (Rarely does the person have a lighter.)

Ten bad guys can't hit a single moving target with AK-47s, but the good guy pulls off ten perfect shots from behind a wall while looking through a mirror using his pistol's 8-round clip.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
last minute shocking endings? Try The Mist. And any Film Noir, which at least gives the hero a good kick in the nuts last minute...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
last minute shocking endings? Try The Mist.
Do I have to start my "I hate that happy ending" rant again :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 12:26:41 AM »
 :laugh: The discussion is elsewhere and in enough detail already, Jimmy! Suffice to say it is still the most absurd thing you have ever said.  :P

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 12:49:02 AM »
Suffice to say it is still the most absurd thing you have ever said.  :P
What can I say, I wrote a lot of absurb things ;D
In real life I say a lot of them too but at least they aren't written in public :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 05:44:43 PM »
Great points, Blair.

Phone batteries that last 10 full days without needing to be recharged yet quickly "gravel out" and die the moment it is needed the most.
...or the car that was running just fine moments before suddenly won't start :slaphead: Just had that in Dead & Buried a few days ago.

If I remember correctly I was siding with Jimmy in regards to the ending of The Mist. But yes, let's keep that discussion at rest.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »
Well, I did say that there were not enough of that type of ending rather than nonexistent.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.