Author Topic: Stupid questions  (Read 6814 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Stupid questions
« on: July 15, 2007, 11:55:11 PM »
Since it seems I am the least computer savvy, I thought I would start this thread. My first question: How do I get a HTML Window into DVDP so that it will load the IMDB page? Be gentle please – I would say pretend I’m 7 but my niece is better at the computer than me! I’m so far behind the times my only phone is a 1957 rotary!

Najemikon

Re: Stupid questions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 01:18:55 AM »
The IMDb page for the film in question? Easy! What you need to do is create a hyperlink with some HTML code. Sounds complicated, but it isn't.

First of all, make sure that "Use HTML for notes" is checked in Profiler ('Tools', 'Options', 'Display').

Find the page you want to link to and copy the URL (all the text in the address bar at the top of Internet explorer). To do this, make sure all that text is highlighted, right-click and select 'Copy'.

Now, in Profiler, open up the notes window (right-click the profile in the list, and select 'Personalise').

Right-click the notes and select 'paste'.

You should see something like 'http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/' appear in the window. On its own, this is useless. You need it to read as the following:

<a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/" target="_blank">IMDB[/url]

Can you see the bits you need to add, in front and behind the URL? Where I have typed IMDB, you can put whatever you like.

Click 'Ok'. Now when you open the notes window for that DVD, you will see IMDB underlined. Click it and it will take you to the page.

Note that if you remove the part that says 'target ="_blank"', it will open the page within the notes window. For most things, it would be unreadable.

Hope that helps.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:21:44 AM by Najemikon »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:22:15 AM »

Hope that helps.  ;D

:bow: Thank you! Point awared!

Touti

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:34:01 AM »

Hold on now !  I'm gonna watch this closely, points can't be bought.......not unless I receive a commission :)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 02:51:51 AM »

Hold on now !  I'm gonna watch this closely, points can't be bought.......not unless I receive a commission :)

OMG  :o you are a mind reader! Check out the books>movie thread! Point awarded to the Psychic Touti! (10%?)

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:13:17 AM »
There's a somewhat easier way, without having to add a full URL in your notes.

First, you need to create an HTML Window in profiler. To do so:
1. View -> HTML Windows -> Edit..

A new window opens. You then need to create the window itself:
2. Section -> New...

Give it a name, anything you like. I called mine "IMDb", very original huh?

On the left, under "Section Name", a new entry should've been added with the name you entered, and it should be already selected. Now, on the right, you will see some HTML code. Clear that:
3. Right-Click anywhere on the right in the HTML code and choose Select All, then hit the DELETE key (or right-click -> cut)

Then, you need to paste new code in that window:
Code: [Select]
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript">
<!--
<DP NAME="HEADER_VARS" Language="JavaScript" Comments="True" IncludeCast="False" IncludeCrew="False">
/**************************************************/
var imdbStart = "";
var imdbEnd = "";
var imdbCode = "";
var imdbLink = "";
var imdbFound = false;
var imdbURL = "http://www.imdb.com/title/";

// Open IMDb page for the profile
function imdb() {
imdbStart = DP_Notes.toLowerCase().indexOf("\<imdb") + 6;

if (imdbStart>5) {
if (DP_Notes.toLowerCase().indexOf("\<\/imdb\>", imdbStart)>1) {
imdbEnd = DP_Notes.toLowerCase().indexOf("\<\/imdb\>", imdbStart);
} else {
imdbEnd = DP_Notes.toLowerCase().indexOf("\/\>", imdbStart);
}
imdbCode = DP_Notes.slice(imdbStart, imdbEnd);
imdbLink = (imdbURL + imdbCode);
imdbFound = true;
window.location.href = imdbLink;
} else {
document.write("There is no IMDb code in the notes.");
}
}
//-->
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>
<BODY onload="imdb();">
</BODY>
</HTML>

Select the above code, making sure you have everything, from <html> to </html>, and hit CTRL-C. Then switch back to DVD Profiler, make sure the cursor is still where the HTML code was, and Right-Click -> Paste.

Or, if you prefer, I've attached the code in an HTML file to this profile. So with your new HTML window selected on the left, you can just go to File -> Open..., then browse to the HTML file after you downloaded it from my post, and it should load automatically in DVD Profiler.

Click OK at the bottom.

You have a new HTML window. Now, how to show it? Go to View -> HTML Windows, and it'll show in the list, just click it, and the window will appear.

At this point, it will say "There is no IMDB code for this profile" or something with the same meaning. That is good at this point.

Now, all this above, you only have to do it once.

Now, to have the IMDb page load, just add "<imdb=tt1234567 />" to your profile notes, where "tt1234567" is the IMDb code of the movie in question.

For example, for the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/tt0000001, the code you want is only the "tt0000001" part.

That's it.

Feel free to choose the method you prefer. ;)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 03:16:18 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 03:34:35 AM »
There's a somewhat easier way, without having to add a full URL in your notes.

Feel free to choose the method you prefer. ;)

Are you pining for a point too?  :whistle:  Success!  :dance: Thank you. I'll have to print it out tomorrow (have to go to a friends to use their printer). I prefer to read off a hard copy rather then a computer.

RossRoy

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 05:46:09 AM »
Are you pining for a point too?  :whistle:  Success!  :dance: Thank you. I'll have to print it out tomorrow (have to go to a friends to use their printer). I prefer to read off a hard copy rather then a computer.

Let me know how it went! If you need more help setting it up, feel free to ask me.

Once you get comfortable with this one, I have a 2-3 more HTML Window that might interest you (trailers? gallery?)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 06:39:52 AM »
Next Question:

What is an auto-repeat on a computer keyboard? :hmmmm:

Touti?! :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 07:32:50 AM »
Ah, now I know what you mean. Tom Hanks could have deleted this sentence simply by keeping his finger on the Backspace key.

Auto-repeat simply means when you keep your finger on a certain key it will repeatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »

Don't discourage her! I'm still stuck in single figures!  :surrender:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 12:27:30 PM »
Ah, now I know what you mean. Tom Hanks could have deleted this sentence simply by keeping his finger on the Backspace key.

Auto-repeat simply means when you keep your finger on a certain key it will repeatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

I know - I was trying, and failing, to make a joke.  :weep:

But, to illustrate my need for this thread, I got my first computer a year or so ago and I didn't learn to cut and paste until about six months later. When I hear cut and paste I break out the scissors and Elmer's glue!

Touti

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 03:04:49 PM »

Two forum administrator points (also knows as "pity points")  awarded.

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 09:33:58 PM »

Two forum administrator points (also knows as "pity points")  awarded.

Much appreciated! Friendly-Admin point awarded right back at ya!

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »
Since I'm having a pity party and couldn't be more embarrassed than I am, these are some things I've wanted to know but have been afraid to ask:

Where did the infamous “troll” come from? I know what he/she represents but... who started it and where?

FWIW? Tried - can't figure it out. Hey - don't laugh - if I posted some of the acronyms we use in the hospital you'ld be scratching your head too!