Author Topic: Movie Suggestion.  (Read 13344 times)

Touti

Movie Suggestion.
« on: July 14, 2007, 01:14:38 AM »
I haven't made my list yet but I wanted the thread to be there so other can get started.  You may just reply and write your list of suggestions.

Najemikon

Re: Movie Suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 01:26:34 AM »
Cheers!

The Prestige - Brilliant film open to masses of interpretation.

A.I. - Spielberg makes a point of not discussing his films. I wish he would make an exception for this, because I do think the ending is very misunderstood.

Citizen Kane - Toss in a classic! There are fundamental reasons why this is constantly voted as the best film ever.

Touti

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 02:18:56 AM »
The Life of David Gale: This seems like a very simple movie but it touches many interesting subjects beside death penalty.

Margaret's Museum:  One of the most intriguing movies I've seen.  There is so much to say about this.

Capote: Where's the limit ?  How far can you go to get what you need to finish a book ?

Good Will Hunting:  Do I need to say anything ?

Soylent Green.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 03:55:47 AM by Touti »

lyonsden5

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 04:06:06 PM »
Those who know me know I'm more of a "fan of movies where things blow up"  :laugh:

It was only after I started collecting DVDs and frequenting the IVS forums that I started to develop a desire for more of the classics and or critically acclaimed films (still not too sure on a lots of the "critically acclaimed films"  :-\ )

Just count me in for almost anything you come up with. If I don't have it, I'll get it  ;D

One question.... Who gets to be Oprah?  :tease:

SailorRipley

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 11:00:13 PM »
A few suggestions:

Contact - More than just sci-fi, lots of interest issues regarding faith.

Starship Troopers - Either a misunderstood masterpiece, a piece of crap, or a piece of crap you just happen to love.

Kids - Many people argue that this teen stereotype is false, I happen to know a lot of kids like these. What about you?

Cannibal Holocaust - When this opened, chaos ensued, people went berserk against the gruesome violence, the director went to trial, real violence against animals happened right on screen. Question: Should a filmmaker be allowed to push the limits society imposes in order for his vision to come across?

United 93 - Ultra realistic tragedy. Magnificent filmmaking or sensationalistic fare?

Irreversible - When is too much just too much? Again, pushing the limits, bad or brave?

The Lover/The Dreamers/9 Songs/Other sexually explicit films - What is your stance with sexuality in film? Are we all a bunch of perverts if we happen to enjoy sex in films? Is sex a very private affair that should only be discussed with your partner? If we condemn sex on screen, is this hypocrisy or a moral point of view?

Jacob's Ladder - A brilliant evocation of your own inner fears or a thriller with just a huge cosmic joke at the end?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 11:13:19 PM »
Cheers!
A.I. - Spielberg makes a point of not discussing his films. I wish he would make an exception for this, because I do think the ending is very misunderstood.

What is your understanding of the ending? What do you think others views are?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:19:08 PM »

Margaret's Museum:  One of the most intriguing movies I've seen.  There is so much to say about this.

Please do. :)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 02:18:58 AM »
Oops - misread  :readthis:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 01:32:11 PM by Kathy »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 02:25:10 AM »

One question.... Who gets to be Oprah?  :tease:

You do!

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 02:40:09 AM »

Ta for asking! I don't want to get into it too much here because this is the "ideas" list, but in a nutshell, the general (and I believe unfair) complaint against A.I. is that the ending should be when David is left trapped under water. The rest of the film feels tacked on and sentimental. Apparently. Critics have used this as a stick to beat Spielberg over the head with, as an example of his eternal failings when set against the genius of Kubrick.

I think Kubrick was a genius, but a cold one. Spielberg is his equal, if not a better director, and gave his story the heart it desperately needed. But saying that, I found the ending to be anything but sentimental. Perhaps you need a certain perspective. Mine may be bollocks, but I always enjoy an excuse to trot it out ...  :tease:

Even though I don't think the complaint is warranted in this case, why do people want dark endings anyway? I've heard some say they don't like to be manipulated by a sentimental closing, but surely the opposite is just as manipulative? Perhaps a little side discussion forming there.  :tomato:

m.cellophane

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 07:43:07 AM »
Contact, A.I. and Citizen Kane sound like good places to start.  :beta:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »
Then I'd vote for Citizen Kane, as I am in desperate need to watch it (...again; it's been maybe 20 years). I don't own the other two, but have seen them a while back...

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 01:33:29 PM »

Ta for asking! I don't want to get into it too much here because this is the "ideas" list, but in a nutshell, the general (and I believe unfair) complaint against A.I. is that the ending should be when David is left trapped under water. The rest of the film feels tacked on and sentimental. Apparently. Critics have used this as a stick to beat Spielberg over the head with, as an example of his eternal failings when set against the genius of Kubrick.

I think Kubrick was a genius, but a cold one. Spielberg is his equal, if not a better director, and gave his story the heart it desperately needed. But saying that, I found the ending to be anything but sentimental. Perhaps you need a certain perspective. Mine may be bollocks, but I always enjoy an excuse to trot it out ...  :tease:

Even though I don't think the complaint is warranted in this case, why do people want dark endings anyway? I've heard some say they don't like to be manipulated by a sentimental closing, but surely the opposite is just as manipulative? Perhaps a little side discussion forming there.  :tomato:

Sorry, I misread the rules! I thought we could reply here. Oh well, not the first or last time for  :tomato: Thanks for the insights though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 01:35:41 PM by Kathy »

Touti

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 02:21:58 PM »
I've never seen "Citizen Kan"  :-[  Maybe it's time I take care of that.

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 02:50:47 PM »
Yes, it most certainly is!  :voodoo: