Poll

Do you have (or want to have) a universal remote ?

Yes I own want
4 (22.2%)
Yes but I want a better one
3 (16.7%)
No but I want to get one
4 (22.2%)
Nope, not interested in those
7 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: The ultimate "Remotes" poll  (Read 7019 times)

Touti

The ultimate "Remotes" poll
« on: July 09, 2007, 03:38:07 PM »
Do you own a universal home theatre remote and what do you like about it ?

RossRoy

Re: The ultimate "Remotes" poll
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 03:52:21 PM »
I don't even have a remote! Will, unless you count the remote I got for my X360, which I never use  ;)

Touti

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »
I don't even have a remote! Will, unless you count the remote I got for my X360, which I never use  ;)

How do you turn your TV on, change channels, lower or raise the volumes ?  How do you navigate the menus in your dvd's ?

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 04:03:29 PM »
Computer keyboard! I do all that on my computer: TV watching, DVD watching, Games (Xbox, Xbox360 and Wii are all connected to my computer monitor).

Though to be honest, I never have to change channels, because SageTV records the shows I want to see automatically, and I never watch live TV.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 09:02:57 AM »
Got a Harmony 885.

Pros = I like it(not much help if you're shopping for one, admittedly. Ask specifics and I might be more helpful)

Cons = They've done something to the website(you need to go here to configure all the functions properly) and it's an absolute git to work around now.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 07:21:54 AM »
I have two Home Theater Master MX-500's.  I'm sure there's better remotes out there, but these things are built like tanks.  And when you have two active boys (5 & 10), that's a very nice feature.  It's great to be able to control everything with a single remote and it's very easy to program.  The only downside isn't it's not PC programmable.  I'd love to put in some more advanced macros.  For example, I'd like push an hold the DVD button to turn on the DVD player, receiver and TV, but not turn off whatever happens to already be on.  I know the devices have the necessary discrete codes, but the existing remotes don't have them.  One of these days I'll pick up a cheap remote that you can enter the code into manually so I can "learn" from it, but I've just not gotten around to it.

Still, they're great remotes.  I can program 10 devices into them.  That's more than enough to put all the downstairs devices into, plus our bedroom equipment.  Then I clone one to the other.  That's handy for when one of the remotes goes missing or needs the batteries recharged.  We can just grab the other one and use it instead. ;D

lyonsden5

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 02:59:02 PM »
I've had a Sony Remote Commander for almost 7 years now. It's a beast (weighing in at almost 2 pounds or .9 kilograms) but I love it. Like Marks it is not computer programmable, nothing was back then.  :laugh: Having a true touch touch screen is great and the signal is very strong. It wont work through walls but doesn't have to be pointed directly at the machine.

I don't use the macros at all. Never did. It just takes a few seconds to turn everything on and set all the right inputs. I can do it now without even looking. Heck, I even have it so I can dim the overhead lights and turn up the backlighting when I start a movie.  :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:28:51 PM »
I've had a Sony Remote Commander for almost 7 years now. It's a beast (weighing in at almost 2 pounds or .9 kilograms) but I love it.
So it's an exercise device for coach potatoes? :hysterical:

lyonsden5

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 03:41:08 PM »
So it's an exercise device for coach potatoes? :hysterical:

:training:

MEJHarrison

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 05:39:29 PM »
I don't think I'd like a touch screen.  I like having real buttons cause I can find my way around in the dark that way.  But some people love them.

I'm just surprised that this thread isn't filled with Harmony owners.  I've seen similar threads on other sites and it seems 95% of the people have Harmony remotes.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 07:48:40 PM »
I'm almost ashamed to say I don't use a remote; I still get up and change the channels manually. :bag:

lyonsden5

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 07:59:30 PM »
I'm almost ashamed to say I don't use a remote; I still get up and change the channels manually. :bag:

didn't know you can still do that  :tease:

MEJHarrison

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »
No remote?  Wow!  I think I could get by without a remote.  Maybe.  But my wife and kids would be lost.  Just the thought of trying to control my DVR without a remote is boggling to the mind.

RossRoy

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 09:34:39 PM »
I don't use a remote either, unless you count a wired keyboard and wireless mouse a "remote"

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 09:38:30 PM »
I am the one-device-one-remote guy, even my MacMini has a remote.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools