Poll

Can I do it?... Can I go without watching any Horror Movies till October?

Of Course! Anyone that can have a record such as your last Horror/Halloween Marathon can do anything!
3 (17.6%)
Who are you Kidding?... There is no way in Hell you can not watch horror for the next Month and a half!
14 (82.4%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Can I Do it?  (Read 38709 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Can I Do it?
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2008, 04:03:51 PM »
I should be fine on The Mist... as I do not read much at all... my entire knowledge of King's work is from the film adaptations.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2008, 11:27:54 PM »
Pete, I just bought the Lost Boys on sale at Best Buy for $3.99. If they don't have it in the store you might want to check to see if you can get it delivered (I think they charge a shipping fee though).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2008, 11:49:09 PM »
That is cool... I imagine what you are talking about is the single disc version of the original movie... I used to have that... but now I have the 2-disc Special Edition of Lost Boys:

The one I will most likely be ordering is the new sequel to it... Lost Boys: The Tribe:

I been hearing that the sequel wasn't that good... some saying it actually sucked. but I still think I want to see it for myself. :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2008, 07:52:08 PM »
I've just start watching Cloverfield some minutes ago (in fact I am at the after party scene) and it seems that I will have to stop it. Looks like an horror film to me and since I have decided to not watch any of those before the marathon : I will have to wait next week.  :(

You see you're not alone  :laugh:

Now I will watch "Once Upon a Time in the West" certainly not an horror movie

Najemikon

« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2008, 09:47:46 PM »
I've just start watching Cloverfield some minutes ago (in fact I am at the after party scene) and it seems that I will have to stop it. Looks like an horror film to me and since I have decided to not watch any of those before the marathon : I will have to wait next week.  :(

Out of interest, what did you think it was?  :laugh:

Have you seen OUATIW before? I think it's my favourite Leone western.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »
Even though DVDP don't... I do classify Cloverfield as a horror myself. My brother almost messed me up yesterday... knowing full well I am abstaining from horror he told me to check out this series on Sci-fi Channel... and it turns out to be a show called Special Unit 2 and the episode was about a werewolf... I quickly turned it off and set it to record so I can watch it next month.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »

Well to be fair... in DVD Profiler it is listed with Science Fiction, Suspense/Thriller & Action
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2008, 09:56:21 PM »
Even though DVDP don't... I do classify Cloverfield as a horror myself.

Eh? ??? It's horror. It's got a bloody great monster in it. I haven't bothered with the forums over there for weeks... please don't tell me this was discussed. It just can't have been.

Just saw your reply, Pete. I'm afraid it's simply wrong. Supense/Thriller, yes; Action, I think unnecessary, but yes; Horror before science fiction though. Fantasy before science fiction even. Where is the science, fiction or otherwise?
(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2008, 10:04:47 PM »
I agree with you... definitely horror. I don't remember it ever getting discussed. I think it is one of those deals of those 3 were the first thing up and no one ever attempted to change it.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2008, 10:30:18 PM »
An action sci-fi movie, but like Pete had said already the genre classification in the database is to blame and you know that I don't know too much about those new movies  :laugh:
I don't think that I've even catch it on tv, since the western genre isn't one of my favourite. 2 hours watched (I'll catch the rest after I'll finish here) and this is not bad, not enough to make me going crazy on western movie but certainly not a waste of time.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2008, 10:56:45 PM »
An action sci-fi movie, but like Pete had said already the genre classification in the database is to blame and you know that I don't know too much about those new movies  :laugh:
The online database fooled me a few times in the past. I just make sure I change it locally afterwards. But I don't change genres on the online database. Too much expected hassle there.  :P
I don't think that I've even catch it on tv, since the western genre isn't one of my favourite. 2 hours watched (I'll catch the rest after I'll finish here) and this is not bad, not enough to make me going crazy on western movie but certainly not a waste of time.
I am not all that big on Westerns either. Never seen the one you are talking about... But I will tell you one that I really liked a lot... that would be...

Rio Bravo
On one side is an army of gunmen dead-set on springing a murderous sidekick from jail. On the other is Sheriff John T. Chance and his two deputies: one a drunk, the other a cripple. Place your bets.

John Wayne is Chance in 'Rio Bravo', a lean Western classic packing solid heroics and a strong emotional core. He's joined by Dean Martin as the deputy coming off a two-year drunk, Walter Brennan as the old coot whose spirit outmatches his hobbled stride. Ricky Nelson as a youth out to prove himself and Angie Dickinson as the scarlet woman with her eye on Chance. Director Howard Hawks lifted the Western to new heights with 'Red River'. Capturing the legendary West with a stellar cast in peak form, he does it again here.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
I love Rio Bravo. Can watch it anytime. Howard Hawks sort-of remade his own film twice in El Dorado and Rio Lobo. In the former swapping Dean martin's drunk for Robert Mitchum, and James Caan plays kid-with-a-river-for-a-name, Mississippi instead of Colorado.  :P It certainly didn't need remaking but its just as good, if not better, in places. Rio Lobo only bears a passing resemblance, but still has that wonderful banter.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2008, 12:28:38 AM »
One Western that I like very much and have in my collection :

a renegade unit of Confederates conspire to rob a Union payroll wagon. Unfortunately, they don't realize that the war is over when they ride into a little town to await the shipment. While there, they amuse themselves by raping and murdering the townsfolk. Fortunately a brave African servant manages to escape and make it safely to an encampment of newly freed slaves. They rush back to the town and fight the rebels to the death.

You can call it a roughie western, but if you pass over the nudity and the violence (not that I something against this  ;D) this is really a top quality production.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2008, 12:47:27 AM »
To get back to the topic at hand... here is a fun western...

From Dusk till Dawn 3: Hangman's Daughter
The latest bone-chilling installment of 'From Dusk Till Dawn' reveals how this frightening saga all began! Narrowly escaping death, outlaw Johnny Madrid (Marco Leonardi - 'Like Water For Chocolate') is on the run from the hangman (Temuera Morrison - 'Six Days, Seven Nights')… with the hangman's sensuous daughter Esmeralda by his side! Along with Madrid's gang, Johnny and Esmeralda embark on an adventure filled with colorful and unsavory characters who lead them straight into the fight of their lives! Also featuring Danny Trejo ('Con Air'), Rebecca Gayheart ('Scream 2'), and Michael Parks ('From Dusk Till Dawn 1' & '2') - you won't want to miss a minute of the epic confrontation that results in Esmeralda's discovery of her secret birthright!

Then there is...

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins
When workers in the remote mining town of Rejection, Nevada, fall victim to an unseen predator, the mines owner, Hiram Gummer [Michael Gross], great-grandfather to 'Tremors'' Burt Gummer, hires a mercenary to destroy the carnivorous creatures before they swallow up his profits. What follows is an all-out assault that takes the battleground from deep in the earth to a suspense-filled showdown in the streets of Rejection!

'Tremors 4: The Legend Begins' will thrill you with incredible action sequences, awesome bonus features and earthshaking special effects created by the award-winning team behind the original box-office hit, 'Tremors.'

;D :tease:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2008, 02:04:37 AM »
Since we are on Western and Horror mix, this is 2 from my collection

Legendary outlaw of the Old West Jesse James, on the run from Marshal MacPhee, hides out in the castle of Baron Frankenstein's granddaughter Maria, who proceeds to transform Jesse's slow-witted pal Hank into a bald zombie, which she names Igor.

BloodRayne is back! This time, the sexy heroine (Natassia Malthe) battles a gang of merciless vampire cowboys led by Billy the Kid (Zack Ward). Scene after scene, her death defying stunts with knives and sling-blades blaze a trail of mayhem for her vilains.

And another one that I don't own, since it's not release but probably available in a multi-film boxset since it's a PD film.
Billy the Kid versus Dracula
Dracula travels to the American West, intent on making a beautiful ranch owner his next victim. Her fiance, outlaw Billy the Kid, finds out about it and rushes to save her.

Anything else?