Author Topic: What does your Desktop look like?  (Read 6320 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What does your Desktop look like?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 07:18:51 PM »
I haven't deleted the other icons for the off-chance that I do not find the program otherwise :D
Good point there...

Also, for those programs that are deep down in the tree, there is always the "Minimize All" button (God knows why it is not enabled by default) which then makes the desktop icons easily accessible.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 07:22:13 PM »
I wouldn't want no icons covering that up either Jimmy!  :drooling:
She is probably certainly the most annoying actress and singer that I've heard, but she sure looks great.

I had no idea who she was either... but my eyes still work!  :P
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 07:23:11 PM »
Also, for those programs that are deep down in the tree, there is always the "Minimize All" button (God knows why it is not enabled by default) which then makes the desktop icons easily accessible.
Do you mean Win+D? Also when using this combination again after minimizing all windows, all windows are restored to their previous state.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 07:24:29 PM »
I haven't deleted the other icons for the off-chance that I do not find the program otherwise :D
Good point there...

You mean WindowsKey+D in Windows or F11 in MacOS?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

m.cellophane

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »
Mine is pretty boring. Haven't even been using a wallpaper.  :bag:

RossRoy

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 11:04:11 PM »

Actually, you have. That "inspiron" thing IS a wallpaper ;)

m.cellophane

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 11:07:07 PM »

Actually, you have. That "inspiron" thing IS a wallpaper ;)
Yeah, well, I just meant I haven't changed it.  :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 02:56:27 AM »
Do you mean Win+D? Also when using this combination again after minimizing all windows, all windows are restored to their previous state.

You mean WindowsKey+D in Windows or F11 in MacOS?

Well, I did mean "Show Desktop" in the Quick Launch bar; as I am more of a mouse than a keyboard person... :P

I don't use that F11 option in OS X a lot, I am using "Exposé" (makes all windows small enough to show them at the same time and then lets you choose which one to open) more.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 07:12:20 AM »
I don't use that F11 option in OS X a lot, I am using "Exposé" (makes all windows small enough to show them at the same time and then lets you choose which one to open) more.
You mean F9 :P
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 01:45:14 PM »
My Desktop is black with no wallpaper, I don't use them anymore.  I only have a few icons and Vista's sidebar.  To say the truth, I don't really understand the idea of having a wallpaper in a desktop.  All it does is eat up some of your video RAM and slow down your computer, I don't see the point of doing that with something that's gonna be covered all the time with your applications windows anyway.

I did use wallpapers in the past but I always ended up getting rid of them after a few days.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 02:25:57 PM »
While I mostly agree, Eric, I also see that it makes me feel nice to see a particular image even for just a few seconds... It's the same with my iPod youch or mobile phone; O just see the wallpaper for up to 3 seconds before they are gone,it's still nice seeing them... :-[

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »
All it does is eat up some of your video RAM and slow down your computer, I don't see the point of doing that with something that's gonna be covered all the time with your applications windows anyway.
I usually looks at my screen since my computer is always open in the day this is not for nothing if my wallpaper is always a beautifull woman  :devil:

With 504 Mo of memory I don't think that it slow my computer that much. The programs that are on the System tray are certainly more responsible.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 04:55:48 PM »
The picture I use is the one of tulips that are in the program. I keep only a few shortcuts; DVDP, Recycle Bin and one with a list of Web Addresses.

RossRoy

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 04:09:09 AM »
I changed my desktop! And I've even changed a long tradition... The picture is still a "nice looking girl", but not with the same meaning as usual!

That's my niece!

My sister just came back from vacation, and sent me some pictures. This gem was in the lot. There's something about this picture.. I love it!  :thumbup:

Halo2

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 06:04:03 AM »
My desktop is very plain. I run XP at home with dual monitors. I don't have any wallpaper, just a plain blue background. I have several shortcuts to websites I use everyday. Other shortcuts are in folders on the desktop organized generally by what they are (pictures, utilities, storage and so on).

At work it tends to be the same, I run 2 Vista boxes, 2 XP boxes and 1 Server 2003 box. All tend to be plain, my main box I rarely see the desktop, it's running dual monitors and I have email open on one and at least 4 websites and 6-8 other applications I switch between. The server box I almost never look at except to boot or shut down, it is mainly for storage. The box I use for music (both internet radio and streaming audio from the server) is also used for surfing tech and OEM sites, seldom see the desktop, so just a plain background. My hardware test box has the busiest desktop, but that is mostly shortcuts to different utilities. Most of the boxes are underpowered when it comes to graphics cards. I lobbied more for test equipment, RAM, dual LCD monitors and storage space.