Author Topic: What does your Desktop look like?  (Read 6319 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
What does your Desktop look like?
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »
I am always curious how other users designed their desktop (wallpaper, colours, ...)

My Desktops look like this:

Mac:

PC:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What does your Desktop look like?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:33:58 AM »
Nice pictures!

I don't post any, as I have a quite large variety of images I cycle through on my desktop. They are mostky movie related images, some are from video games and then a few others.

My dock is slightly "more busy" too...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »
My home computers are for surfing, emailing and watching DVDs. There aren't many programs installed on them.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »
My home computers are for surfing, emailing and watching DVDs. There aren't many programs installed on them.
I said my dock is "busier", I didn't say I use all those programs :bag:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »
I am one who never uses the desktop, so I only see it at startup. So I prefer either no wallpaper or something simple.

Currently my desktop looks like this:

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 02:29:54 PM »
Here's what my desktop looks like this morning. The image changes when I feel like it (approximately once a week) but it's always a nice looking woman. I use Wallpaper Master to randomly choose from my picture collection.

I also did some house cleaning before posting, as I have a tendency to download everything on the desktop for quick access, but sometimes forget to file/delete it after review.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »
Well... I am still trying to set everything up the way I had it, but....

Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »
I I have three monitors on my desktop. Using a software called UltraMon I am able to have a different picture on each. Right now I only have pictures set on two of them keeping the main one clear.

One is my 14 year old Yellow Lab... Lucy

The other is my 15 year old Lab/Pit mix Shadow

OT - anyone who uses multiple monitors I highly recommend UltraMon. One of the biggest advantages is each monitor has it's own taskbar showing only what is open on that screen.  :thumbup: Right now I have 21 programs/folders/etc open yet none of them is "grouped" (i really should close some of these  :laugh:). Typicall I have around10 'things' open. Using the smart taskbar feature really makes navigating the three monitors a snap.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »
My destop looks like that since a couple of months. I don't have too many shortcut on it, I don't like when the screen if full of icon.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 04:32:01 PM »
I wouldn't want no icons covering that up either Jimmy!  :drooling:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »
She is probably certainly the most annoying actress and singer that I've heard, but she sure looks great.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 05:47:42 PM »
She is probably certainly the most annoying actress and singer that I've heard, but she sure looks great.

That may be a stupid question, but who is that?
Karsten

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 05:54:17 PM »
That may be a stupid question, but who is that?
Jessica Simpson

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 06:02:17 PM »
I am one who never uses the desktop, so I only see it at startup. So I prefer either no wallpaper or something simple.

Currently my desktop looks like this:

[...][/URL]
Seeing that you rarely see your desktop I wonder why there is so many icons on it... You have use any of them to actually open a program/file?

My destop looks like that since a couple of months. I don't have too many shortcut on it, I don't like when the screen if full of icon.
[...]
I agree here. Someday I noticed that I actually never used any of those to open programs. So I removed all of them, except the Recycle Bin, and never missed any of them. That was in Windows... Now on my Apple I have 8 icons on my desktop which do get used occasionally (links to the various hard drives and to the programs that open the local server resp. the virtual machine).

At work I have a few on the desktop, it's the way the notebook was set up and I don't feel like changing it; needless to say they get never used.

So why did/do I never use the icons on the desktop? Because, as Tom said, I only see them at startup. (In the Mac the program windows are often not full screen so I see part of the desktop and as I have multiple screens, called "Spaces", I get to see the desktop images when I switch between the various "desktops".)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 06:15:53 PM »
Seeing that you rarely see your desktop I wonder why there is so many icons on it... You have use any of them to actually open a program/file?

And that after I even cleaned up a little before taking a screenshot  :laugh:

Actually the only icon I use on the desktop from time to time as the shortcut to my "Cast & Crew Editor". And this one I only use to open my encrypted text file where I have written down some login data (also in there only hints to the password exist).
I haven't deleted the other icons for the off-chance that I do not find the program otherwise :D