Author Topic: Lost some posts  (Read 2310 times)

Touti

Lost some posts
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:26:15 AM »
I had to restore the backup from last night after losing the "Marathon Reviews" forum.  All posts from the last 17 hours or so are lost.

Sorry about that.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Lost some posts
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:51:07 AM »
almost all my reality tv thread is dead  :weep:
For one time that I had started a discussion that have some discussion in it  :weep:

Touti

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:52:45 AM »
Sorry Jimmy but I had no choice.  I made a very stupid mistake and I deleted the whole "Marathon Reviews" forum.  That's like 3000 posts including most of our reviews that were gone, I had no choice but to restore last night's backup.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:55:50 AM »
Sorry Jimmy but I had no choice.
It's a joke Eric  :P

A little message is nothing in comparaison with a complete sub-forum and I've much more important message there, like everyone else...

lyonsden5

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 01:18:50 AM »
 :'(

:tease:

No worries. Glad you could restore the Marathon section.  :cheers:

Touti

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 01:21:02 AM »
At least now we know the backups are reliable.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 01:55:25 AM »
All cool Eric... much better then loosing the marathon reviews! I just replaced a couple of my posts from this morning the best I could. :)
Pete

Halo2

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 02:06:46 AM »
It must have been my fault Eric. I actually started a topic and the shock was too great.

:laugh:

Oh, and I see that you’ve taken down the feed to Movies.com. Guess their new format isn’t compatible.

lyonsden5

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 02:07:20 AM »
I'm having the strangest feeling of Déjà vu...  :weirdo:

Touti

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 02:10:14 AM »
It must have been my fault Eric. I actually started a topic and the shock was too great.

:laugh:

Oh, and I see that you’ve taken down the feed to Movies.com. Guess their new format isn’t compatible.

Actually I had done much more than that today.  Movies.com is no longer movies.com, apparently it is now fandango.com and they don't have rss feeds.

I had installed a mod that automatically posts rss feeds in the forum but when I deleted my test category I screwed up and removed the marathon reviews forum.

Since the mod didn't seem to please anyone anyway as I got two negative feedbacks about it and nothing positive I'll just consider it a day's work lost and I won't redo it.

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 02:16:59 AM »
Since the mod didn't seem to please anyone anyway as I got two negative feedbacks about it and nothing positive I'll just consider it a day's work lost and I won't redo it.

Happy people stay quiet! I liked it. Not sure it's worth a days work and I know what's like to see it vanish, so I won't beg you to put it back. I just wanted you to know I always had positive comments, I just didn't type them... :bag:

Halo2

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 02:21:57 AM »
I'm sorry, I must have missed where you asked for feedback.  :bag:

I looked at Movies.Com every week. It's reviews even swayed a couple of buy/no buy decisions.

I use DVD Talk some (more now I guess) and DVD Active. Don't use High-Def Digest since I've not gone HD, either Red or Blue.

I see Jon posted while I was typing. I agree with what he said.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 02:22:26 AM »
I didn't really get the chance to look at it yet... but thought it was a pretty cool idea from the board alone. But like Jon... I wouldn't ask you to put it back.
Pete

Touti

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 02:23:01 AM »
The longest part was to make a customer "Recent Posts" box as I didn't know where and how to get it.  Now that I do it wouldn't be hard to do it again.

I would however learn from my mistakes and do it differently, this time I would create a MemberGroup for the News Feed category and allow members to join the group if they want to so those who are not interested in News Feed wouldn't have to see them on their screen.

To tell you the truth I was going to do it anyway on my personal private forum at touti.net because I do like having all the movie, dvd and home entertainment news all in one place.

RossRoy

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 03:36:57 AM »
I had installed a mod that automatically posts rss feeds in the forum

I usually leave Check4Change to reload the page every 30 minutes and warn me when there's a change, but I've been upstairs  and/or playing Rock Band most of the time, and never noticed. When I came back to the computer, 5 pages of new posts! I was wondering what happened! Then I refresh the page manually, and BAM! All gone.  ???  Guess i know what it was now.

I like the idea, but I do believe it should be opt-in IMO