Author Topic: New search engine.  (Read 2331 times)

Touti

New search engine.
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:55:04 PM »
It's called "findloo", still in Beta but then every darn google tools has been for over a decade ;)

This was developed by a team of 7 passionates from Saguenay, Qc.  What's nice about it is that it's a search engine that searches other engines and brings you all the results in one page.  They are displayed with two sets of tabs, one for categories and one for results site.

In the screenshot below I searched for "Amadeus".  As you can see I can then easily choose categories like Web, Definitions, News etc.  Then within each category I can see the result page for different search engines, Google, Yahoo, Live, AOL and Ask in this case.

The 2nd set of tabs is dependant on what you searched for and in which language.  For example when searching for DVD's in french I get Amazon.ca and Archambault.ca but in english I only get Amazon.

The 2nd and 3rd screenshot shows how you can search on multiple terms at a time.  Once you've entered each search word(s) in a separate box, you can switch between result sets simply by clicking on the searched word displayed as "My searches: " between the two sets of tab (Image 3).

I'm very impressed by this.  Brilliant idea and well executed.

http://en.findloo.com

RossRoy

Re: New search engine.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:27:06 PM »
I just added it to my Firefox search box. Very interesting concept.  :thumbup:

Touti

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 07:28:34 PM »
I just added it to my Firefox search box. Very interesting concept.  :thumbup:

Did too, this is a great idea, I'm so freakin' pissed I didn't think of it myself  :slaphead:

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »
I'm so freakin' pissed I didn't think of it myself  :slaphead:

Pretty much always the case when someone else comes up with a great idea!  ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 11:08:59 PM »
Sounds good, but is there a version in a proper language? :tease: :devil: :tomato:

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:21:25 PM »
Sounds good, but is there a version in a proper language? :tease: :devil: :tomato:

Yes, there's one in french http://fr.findloo.com/  :devil:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:16:30 AM »
Yes, there's one in french http://fr.findloo.com/  :devil:

As funny as this is, even Eric's link to http://en.findloo.com/ is redirected to the french site... :headscratch:

Touti

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
Achim,  as I said in my first post ithis is still beta so there's probably a few bugs left. When I click my link I get to the english page.

What language windows are you using ?  I think that maybe they are trying to use the language of the OS and if they don't have it they switch to french automatically.

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 12:45:07 PM »
When I click my link I get to the english page.

Me too.

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 01:42:35 PM »
Nope, I definitely get not-English. :)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 07:02:08 PM »
I got french, too.

Below there's a bar of links, my "country" was France. Try to click on "Canada", then he offers you a link to "English".

Or simply try "États-Unis": http://en.findloo.com/?country=US
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »
I don't really see this as a problem since you can switch language eaily.  When you get to that french page don't you have a link to switch to english just under the search button ?

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 08:56:29 PM »
I don't really see this as a problem since you can switch language eaily.  When you get to that french page don't you have a link to switch to english just under the search button ?

Yeah, but I couldn't see they were links cos it was all in forin wurds! :P I followed Karsten's link though and it was fine. Then I went back to yours and it's still English, so we're good to go!

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 09:05:39 PM »
When you get to that french page don't you have a link to switch to english just under the search button ?
Nope.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 09:24:08 PM »
I'm confused, arent you getting this ?