Author Topic: Just got back from the ER  (Read 4393 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Just got back from the ER
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »
I was supposed to work from 4 to closing last night... but while working I started to feel a little lightheaded and apparently was "walking funny". Well the manager made me go back to see the pharmacist to get my blood pressure checked. The pharmacist said I MUST leave work now and go to the ER. She told me that my blood pressure was too high... and told me to go in the break room and get myself a ride to the ER. I found out a little later she told my manager that I was on the verge of a stroke if I didn't get it down right away.

When I got to the ER they took my blood pressure and while I can't remember exactly... one number was up over 200 and the other was up over 100. They kept me there till they got it down to a point where they felt comfortable with... about 3 hours later. They gave me a prescription and told me not to miss my doctor's appoint on Tuesday for anything. We left the hospital... I got the prescription filled at a 24hr Walgreens... and got a bit to eat since I haven't eaten since noon. Ended up getting home about 2am.

But don't worry friends... I am feeling much better already... and I promise I will do whatever I have to... I will take care of myself.
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Just got back from the ER
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »
Good thing that you have a responsible manager!
Glad to hear that you're OK. Take care!

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »
200 / 100 is a real jaw-dropper and nothing to sneeze at.
My doc got really concerned about my blood-pressure of 160/100.

Be prepared of having to reduce salt, fat and carbohydrates (sugar!).
In addition you may need antihypertensive meds.

With this "cure" I got my pressure back to 125/80, which seems to please my doc.

EDIT:
The German release of this book helped too.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:31:28 PM by Silence_of_Lambs »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 01:39:23 PM »
Everything above 160 is highly worrysome.

Optimal blood pressure is about 120/80.

The problem with high blood pressure is that it doesn't cause any immediate symptoms or pain and so you don't even realize that something is wrong - that is until you get a stroke or a heart attack.

You should make sure this is properly taken care of (hopefully you have some resemblance of a medical insurance :))
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »
Thank goodness you went to the ER. You've already taken steps to getting healthy - exercise and losing weight - so this must have been such a shock.

Be VERY careful to read labels - salt is your worse enemy when you have hypertension. U.S. guidelines call for less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium per day which is about 1 teaspoon of table salt.

People with certain problems, such as high blood pressure, the daily amount of sodium should be around 1,500 milligrams a day.

The problem is that salt t is found in everything and, even worse, can be disguised under various names.

Anything processed is loaded with salt. For example, a typical TV dinner can contain over 700 milligrams of sodium.

Even more surprising is the amount of salt in "good" foods. A bowl of raisin bran can have 250 milligrams of salt or a glass of vegetable juice can have double that amount.

Watch out for canned foods - they are loaded with salt. Buy only the "no salt" brand. Even certain brands of soda have salt in them.

Here's some other examples of 'hidden" salt that might surprise you:
- Soy sauce: 1 tablespoon - 1,000 mg
- Spaghetti sauce: 1/2 cup - 550 mg
- Pretzels: 1 ounce - 400 mg
- Ketchup: 1 tablespoon - 170 mg

Salt is labeled in different ways. All you need to remember is: Salt, Sodium and Na:
- sodium alginate
- sodium ascorbate
- sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
- sodium benzoate
- sodium caseinate
- sodium chloride
 - sodium citrate
 - sodium hydroxide
- sodium saccharin
- sodium stearoyl lactylate
- sodium sulfite
- disodium phosphate
- monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- trisodium phosphate
- Na

Remember to always check the serving size - most people eat a lot more than what the label says is 1 serving.

The bottom line is:
- Don't buy/eat processed food. If you do, do so in very limited amounts.
- Read lables
- Keep track of how much sodium you eat - a food diary is a great way to get healthy
- Monitor your blood pressure daily
- Exercise
- Medications - ALWAYS follow the doctor's advice and do NOT stop/miss any doses.
- Lower stress as much as possible

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 06:57:40 AM »
Oh my goodness.  That's good that your manager noticed something was wrong so you could get help. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 07:52:19 AM »
Thanks everyone...
I just made it through my first full night of  closing since the incident. It was a little hard to get through... but I did it pretty well. When I went in I had my blood pressure checked again... it was down to 179 over 119. So that is an improvement at least.

They let me work since I can have my blood pressure monitored right on the job... and they took it easy on me... they are letting me ease back into things. So all good there. They are really worried about me... almost to the point of babying me on the job. Let me at least attempt to do my job. I won't let myself over do it.
Pete

kahless

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 09:38:17 AM »
I'm suffering from high blood pressure for about 3 years. I was in the ER as well. Since then my medications consists of beta blocker, ACE inhibitor and Calcium channel blocker. I reduced weight (about 10KG), and changed my eating habits. My Doc tells me I should do more sport as well  :yucky:

Anyway, my average blood pressure is now 120/75 what is quite good. Take care, Pete  :thumbup:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »
Try drinking this...

http://www.ehow.com/list_5814709_benefits-jamaica-flower-tea_.html

I've had a high blood pressure problem for close to 10 years now, and I started drinking this about 8 weeks ago. I've been able to cut my BP meds in half since I started. 3 - 4 cups a day does the trick, plus you get the anti-oxidants and Vitamin C as an added benefit.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 12:14:51 AM »
Well I got sent home from work today. Despite being on the medication my blood pressure spiked again. When I got to work I did as I promised and had it checked. It was 208 over 124. I didn't want to go home (holiday pay and all)... so they let me stay only if I got my blood pressure taken again in a couple hours and they seen a good improvement. The second time I took it.. it was down a little but not enough.  194 over 119.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 01:31:25 AM »

yup... back in the ER... and looks like they are going to admit me this time to get blood pressure under control.
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 03:35:35 AM »
Make sure they don't give you any Ibuprofen, as it can raise blood pressure. I found this out back when I pinched a nerve in my back and my doctor prescribed 800 mg Motrin. My blood pressure jumped 50 points in my systolic and 30 points on the diastolic.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 05:36:18 PM »
I just had an echo-cardiogram done. It is a sonogram of the heart. Very cool test... got to actually see my heart beating in my chest... valves opening and shutting and all. Was very cool to watch... but I must admit I am nervous to hear the results.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »
Here is what I know so far...

- Definite high blood pressure. Will be on like 3 different meds for it.
- Possible Enlarged Heart.... getting test results back today.
- Possible Sleep Apnea.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »
OK... got the results to the echo-cardiogram. While not the best news in the world... it could have been worse.

First he said I do have a strong heart... so that is good. While I don't have the classic enlarged heart where it actually grows bigger... I do have a type of enlarged heart where the muscles thicken. There is also some leakage in one of the heart valves. And the backside of my heart is a bit enlarged.

as I said... could have been worse.
Pete