Author Topic: Unexpected benefit from using Letterboxd  (Read 2260 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Unexpected benefit from using Letterboxd
« on: March 28, 2014, 11:16:07 AM »
Exporting Profiler data about all my watched DVDs to Letterboxd was quite a lot of work. The other day I found out something about my collection that I did not know. I was looking at some of the "best films" lists, and I had set the flag "Fade watched" that fades the cover scan images of the films that you have already watched. And I got some surprises. Films that showed up as not watched included E.T., Jaws, American Graffiti and Brazil. I thought "WTF I have watched those!" Turns out that, yes I have - on Laserdisc. But I don't own them on DVD or BD. And since I no longer have a working LD player (even though I still have my old LDs), for all practical purposes I don't have these films. So now I have bought all four of these on blu-ray from Amazon UK. No self respecting collector should be without these, right?

It's not the first time that I realize that films that I thought I owned were actually not in my collection. But those were mostly old B-movies that I used to have on VHS. This is the first time I have discovered that I was missing some really important movies. I hesitate to explore further. This could end up costing me...
:bag:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected benefit from using Letterboxd
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 01:10:11 PM »
I don't have/never seen American Graffiti or Brazil.  :bag: Take it they are something I should look into.  :)
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:38:22 PM »
I have both if you want to watch them.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 01:44:38 PM »
Of course you do! :P Will keep them in mind. :)
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:34:20 PM »
Well, they are both classics in my opinion. Very different films. Graffiti is an early George Lucas. Brazil is Terry Gilliam. Very Terry Gilliam. You should definitely give these a go.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 12:53:40 AM »
I think all 4 of those are monster films in their own right.  But as different as night and day (unless you are way up north where we never had night for a while <G>)
Thank you
David

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 01:57:07 AM »
Jaws was the first movie I called "my favorite movie" (nowadays I would always say "one of my favorite", as there can clearly not be only one). Brazil is also one of my favorites and I from the Gilliam films I know it's the best.

I haven't seen American Graffiti as well. Not sure I really have to change that. We all know what E.T. is...

I recently was about to watch Stephen King's IT, only to realize I don't actually own the DVD :slaphead:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »
The only problem with American Graffiti is that it is a 'period' piece.  I think the movie holds its own but it probably helps if you grew up in/around (before <g>)  that era.  Hope you like it.
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 10:23:23 PM »
I think the movie holds its own but it probably helps if you grew up in/around (before <g>)  that era.
So that's you and me, then, David?  8)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 10:53:29 PM »
Yep .. 'fraid so  ;)
Thank you
David