Author Topic: MP3 player  (Read 2934 times)

lovemunkey187

MP3 player
« on: May 07, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
I ant an MP3 player.

I had one, up until about a year ago, when my Creative Labs Zen Jukebox went tits up.

I want lots of space, to put shed loads of songs.
I want it to be simple to use(both navigation of player & for actually putting music on)

I don't need the function of watching video clips or looking at family photos.

I previously didn't go for an Ipod as I don't like the navigation on it.

Any reccomendations?

Najemikon

Re: MP3 player
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:58:16 PM »
I have a Zen and if I were to upgrade it, I would seriously think about the new-ish Creatives. I think it's the Creative M? I know it handles photos and videos too, but I imagine it's interface and use is very similar to the previous Zen range.

The way I'd look at it is, I don't have to put the photos on! ;)

I know you aren't considering the Ipod anyway, but I heard something the other day that I find shocking. Apparently the synchronisation is based on the theory that the PC is the master and the Ipod the slave, and you can't change it. Therefore if your I-Tunes install goes tits-up, you can't just get all your tracks from the Ipod because as soon as you connect it, it will upload a blank library. Don't know if it's true and the IT techy in me still refuses to believe it. An MP3 player in it's most basic raw form is a hard drive. No more, no less. The software should allow you to choose your sync options and even browse the file structure, using it for other types of files if you so wish. Like my Creative does... ???

Touti

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 12:01:46 AM »
I plan on getting an iPod touch for my self-given christmas gift next year but up until now I've alway had MP3 players from a Korean company called "Cowon".  If for any reason I decide not to get an iPod touch, my next player will be another Cowon.

http://www.cowon.com

mpengle

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 04:12:14 AM »
I know you aren't considering the Ipod anyway, but I heard something the other day that I find shocking. Apparently the synchronisation is based on the theory that the PC is the master and the Ipod the slave, and you can't change it. Therefore if your I-Tunes install goes tits-up, you can't just get all your tracks from the Ipod because as soon as you connect it, it will upload a blank library. Don't know if it's true and the IT techy in me still refuses to believe it. An MP3 player in it's most basic raw form is a hard drive. No more, no less. The software should allow you to choose your sync options and even browse the file structure, using it for other types of files if you so wish. Like my Creative does... ???

This is correct unfortunately. Just happening to me when my computer hard drive died and I had to get a new one. You can still use whatever songs, videos, etc. are on your Ipod but if you sync it with a new copy of Itunes it will wipe the Ipod clean and install whatever you have on your new hard drive. Now, if you re-downloaded everything you had before then when you sync it won't matter as it will erase then re-install everything you have. So if you have a small library that is easy to replace it isn't a big deal, but if not you are looking at a ton of work.

On a bright note, there a several programs around that will allow you to rip the music off you Ipod to use it on a new Harddrive. TuneJack is one of the preferred one these days. Costs $10 to download. Works well, I have it.

After the hiccup with mine though I decided to get a Zune. I love it for 2 reasons: 1) The Zune marketplace offers a monthly subscription service so you can pay monthly and download an unlimited number of songs, and 2) The Zune itself has a radio. That always comes in handy...  Plus, for those who do like video, the screen is about twice the size of an Ipod..

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:13:27 AM »
...if you sync it with a new copy of Itunes it will wipe the Ipod clean and install whatever you have on your new hard drive. Now, if you re-downloaded everything you had before then when you sync it won't matter as it will erase then re-install everything you have. So if you have a small library that is easy to replace it isn't a big deal, but if not you are looking at a ton of work.

On a bright note, there a several programs around that will allow you to rip the music off you Ipod to use it on a new Harddrive. TuneJack is one of the preferred one these days. Costs $10 to download. Works well, I have it.

That's crazy! You should be able to treat your MP3 device like a backup unit. It's someone at work who was telling me first. I'll pass on that software name though, thanks.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »
I have a Zen and if I were to upgrade it, I would seriously think about the new-ish Creatives. I think it's the Creative M? I know it handles photos and videos too, but I imagine it's interface and use is very similar to the previous Zen range.

The way I'd look at it is, I don't have to put the photos on! ;)

Might have to have a look at the new Creative models.
My old didn't owe me anything, it was used 10+ hours daily(I can't go to sleep without music playing)

After the hiccup with mine though I decided to get a Zune. I love it for 2 reasons: 1) The Zune marketplace offers a monthly subscription service so you can pay monthly and download an unlimited number of songs, and 2) The Zune itself has a radio. That always comes in handy...  Plus, for those who do like video, the screen is about twice the size of an Ipod..

You're the first person I've spoken to who has got a Zune.
What sort of features has it got? The radio function isn't something important to me.
How simple is it to use?
If I did go for one, which one would you recommend?

lovemunkey187

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »
Quite like this one

Any suggestions on where to get a Zen Vision M from? I quite like the docking station and can't seem to find it on the Creative website :shrug:.

Touti

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
I wouldn't get a Microsoft player, I'd be afraid that one day they're DRM technology will screw me and only allow me to use it to play music bought on MSN Music.

I don't quite recall what the exact story was but there was something in tech news on this about a year ago.  It was saying something about Microsoft screwing up their partner and making the Zune player only work the new version of DRM which was not to be released to other online music stores.

Make sure you know what you're getting, at 176 euros you don't want to find out after you bought it that you can't download any of your music files.

mpengle

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 06:29:45 AM »
When my computer hd died and I bought Tunejack to remove the songs from my Ipod I put them on my Zune and it plays all of them perfectly well, even the songs I bought from Itunes, which was just a handful. I use my mp3 player more for listening to music through my car stereo and the sound quality that way sounds better to me than my Ipod. Also, the Zune is very user-friendly, at least as friendly as the Ipod if not better. The directional pad can be used basically the same as the Ipod wheel, both by pushing the sides of using it as a touch pad. The touch feature can also be turned off. I like my Zune better also because I have several videos I play on it and with the screen being larger it is a boon, bigger picture is better. I used videos burned as Ipod video files as well, they work perfectly. Because of having video and their large sizes I bought the 80g Zune but there are cheaper options. The 80g is the same price as the 80g Ipod for comparison, barring any sales. The wireless sharing option is kind of nice too but I haven't ever used it. Definitely not a purchase decision-maker anyway...

Any click to playmusic, videos, podcasts, whatever, works well on the Zune. I wouldn't be worried so much about the DRM issue. It seems Apple is more about the proprietary rights than anyone, which is exactly why your Ipod doesn't function as a backup drive. When speaking with a technician from an Apple store nearby he told me it was a licensing issue that forbis you re-using your Ipod on another drive once it's synced, that way you can't just pass your music around to other people...  :(

Before I bought my Zune I was worried about some of my music not playing that I got from Itunes, but I have yet to have any problems. Dvds being sold now with the Digital Copy disc included, like I Am Legend and Die Hard 4, work for the Zune, but I had heard not for the Ipod...

Who knows....

Edit: Not sure if I would purchase the Halo version. It was one of the 1st gen Zunes and, just like most electronics, the 1st gen stuff tends to have some problems...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 06:32:10 AM by mpengle »

lovemunkey187

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
All (barring about 6) of the music files that I have got on computer have been ripped from stuff in my cd collection, so there shouldn't be any proprietal issues, should there?

Mike: Thanks for the info about the Zune, you make a compelling argument for it. 
I only want it 'cause of the fact it's got fancy graphics, y'all should know by now I'm a sucker for fancy packaging; I did find another one of the Halo ones but cheaper, so I may have a punt on that and see what happens, it's at about £60.00 at the moment, I'll do a max bid of £70. and then check tomorrow and not stress over it.

I think that I'll have to make a choice between the Zune and the Creative Vision M.  They seem like the 2 logical choices.