Author Topic: What Current Film Critic Do You Like?  (Read 2178 times)

Rogmeister

What Current Film Critic Do You Like?
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:50:14 PM »
 :tv:  Are there any current film critics you like?  For probably 30 years or so, my favorite film critic was Roger Ebert.  I enjoyed his reviews both on his TV show (which he began in the 70s with Gene Siskel) and also his written movie reviews.  Unfortunately, he did pass away last year so now I'm wondering if I should pick someone new to read about the new movies.  I recently came across Christy Lemire's website...I saw her as one of several reviewers who showed up on Roger's TV show when he was no longer able to appear regularly there.  She has her own website and her latest review is a pan of Ride Along.  I'll follow her reviews for awhile and see what I think but I did like her in her televised appearances.

Mustrum_Ridcully

Re: What Current Film Critic Do You Like?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:55:11 PM »
A German phenomenon, but entertainment in itself:

Hans-Ulrich Pönack

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:14:50 AM »
Mark Kermode. He working together with Simon Mayo, who mostly reigns (?) him in, but occasionally is annoying all by himself :laugh: They bicker like an old married couple, too.

Two if his most famous rants:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
I have to admit i very seldom read/listen to critics.  Reminds me too much of watching the news.  Sometimes they seem to just be 'that way' to be that way.  Might was well be watching a reality show <G> .. Kardashians or Real Housewives <g>.
I tend to pay more attention to sites like this where most of the time you get good information to make a decision from.  Then, of course, you just have to jump out of the plane :) and hope the chute works .. oh wait .. forgot the chute?
Thank you
David

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:48:50 PM »
I usually don't listen to / watch / read film critics.

But if I do, I watch the Youtube videos of Red Letter Media (a.k.a. Mr. Plinkett), The Nostalgia Critic, Steve Likes to Curse and Confused Matthew.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »
I dont use "film critics" alot, not the critics from the big companies. Only Empire.
But 'The Movieman' from the other forum does write some good movie reviews etc. Dont know if he's a critic tho. But i enjoy the reading
Check it out if you like.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
I don't really listen to or read film critics (or do you guys count?)
Although I have subscribed to Jeremy Jahns on YouTube. And I watch Nostalgia Critic from time to time. I just wish his videos weren't that long. And I listen to the 'Now Playing' podcast. Sometimes I watch the spill.com videos.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:39:05 AM »
I don't pay much attention to critics either.  I still read some reviews at Epinions - though we can no longer post on the new movies in theaters. 

Hulot

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 06:13:01 PM »
I like to read Sight and Sound published by the BFI, and not much else. I find critics such as Rex Reed to be a bore...