Author Topic: Why do they keep inventing things we don't like ?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
Why do they keep inventing things we don't like ?
« on: December 22, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
I don't always hear very well but I try to avoid subtitles when a movie is in a language I know so I often rewind a few seconds to listen again.  So last night I am watching "Lincoln" on blu ray (loved the movie btw) and the first time I rewind.  I see this.  So like the subject says.....................why do they keep inventing things that we don't like ?

Most annoying is that it stays a few seconds when playback resumes.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:58:13 PM by Eric »

Mustrum_Ridcully

Re: Why do they keep inventing things we don't like ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »
Just wait until you get to see the Universal Pictures screensaver and the enervating sound their menus make.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:32:40 PM by Silence_of_Lambs »

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »
and the enervating sound their menus make.

Somehow I'm really not looking forward to this ;)

Haven't hollywood heard of focus groups ?   Couldn't they test those thing with real people and see how annoying everybody finds these things ?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »
Just wait until you get to see the Universal Pictures screensaver and the enervating sound their menus make.

The worst thing about this? You press pause because you need to go to the toilet or because someone's calling. And what does your natural instinct tells you to do next? Press play again of course. Except, it doesn't work. Once that screensaver come on you need to press one of the menu buttons (and don't press the wrong one or the disc jumps right back to the start) to continue the movie from there.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 07:40:46 PM »
Wow Karsten.... that makes even less sense than Eric's original complaint.

Both sound annoying.

One of my older DVD players does something similar to that, but it's not a "re-invention" just a stupid choice regarding the buttons on the controller.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »
Karsten,

On my Oppo I can exit the Universal screen saver by pressing Enter.
But I have to admit to being confused the first time when Play didn't work.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 09:25:41 PM »
I just got another stupid and annoying thing today.  I renteded Wolverine but it wouldn't play. When inserting it in my player, the 20th century fox animation would play for 5 seconds and stop.  I went back to the video store to exchange it, get back home, try again...........same thing  :-\

So I googled and found a post on a forum about someone who had the same problem but with an Oppo player (mine is a panasonic).   It turns out that BD-Live created the issue.  I  had to disable it in the player for the disc to work.......now how stupid is that.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 10:39:54 PM »
The problem with Blu-ray is, that it is software on the disc and not just content. The advantage is, that the publisher can create elaborate menus without fixed navigation like with DVD, but it has the disadvantage, that we have to deal with publisher's buggy software. Also it is necessary, that the Blu-ray player manufacturer's have to keep the firmware up-to-date to be able to handle buggy or more complex Blu-ray discs. Luckily, in the five years I have been collecting Blu-rays now, I only had to update my firmware once to be able to play a problematic disc. It was the movie "Salt".

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 06:24:43 AM »
The Blu-ray player in my room started this year not playing some Blu-rays..including some that I had played in there before.  The player in the living room - which is the same freaking model and has the same firmware or whatever, plays the movies fine.  I forgot at first that I had the Playstation 4 to use as well.   :laugh:  That plays the ones the player won't for whatever reason.

It is on borrowed time...It would not play one of my Harry Potter movies.  That is unacceptable.  Unacceptable.    ;)  Yes I am exaggerating a tad there...but it not playing one of the Potter movies is the last straw.  It will be replaced.  I just haven't done it yet.

I had been thinking about getting a new one that would have wifi for the firmware updates.  The one I have now I had to request a disc from Sony.  There was a new update like 2 years ago and I requested it, but never got the disc.  So.  That is less than helpful.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
Greed.

Here's a perfect example - a car's electronic windows.

It used to be that when you wanted to open a window, you manually turned a handle. And, even better, I never had a problem with them.

But, noooo that wasn't good enough. Someone had the "bright" idea to invent a mechanism that allowed one to open a window with the push of a button.

So, what happens? The electronics break, the window doesn't open and it costs almost $200 to fix. Great for the auto makers and the repair shop but horrible for the consumer.

The best part? Electronic windows are now the standard on vehicles! If you want the old fashioned manual ones on your new ride, they are a custom order and weeks to your delivery date.

I'll be custom ordering and waiting when I get my next new car.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 11:30:48 AM »
I forgot at first that I had the Playstation 4 to use as well.   :laugh:  That plays the ones the player won't for whatever reason.
You got one aleady? I should be able to pick mine up on 12/31... I forgot, are we "friends" there already? If not, maybe give me your username... (or should it be obvious....?)

The PS3's player was very solid as well and would play all stuff my standalone player would stumble over.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 03:20:44 AM »
I meant Playstation 3.  I don't have a PS4..no plans to get one anytime soon either.

I don't think we did the friend thing with playstation network because I didn't have it hooked up to the internet until last year.
I can't remember what my username is there....  :laugh:  I've barely used it since I set it up.   :laugh: