Author Topic: We're moving  (Read 5794 times)

Touti

We're moving
« on: April 16, 2008, 08:35:57 PM »
Sometimes within the next few days (probably friday night), I will move DVD Collectors Online to a new server.   Some of you may not be connecting to the new one for a certain period of time depending on the frequency at which your ISP updates his DNS.

Here's how things will be happening.

1. Current Server: I will post a message to let you know that I am starting.
2. Current Server: I will put all sections of the forum in read-only mode to prevent anyone from posting.
3. New Server: I will copy everything from the current server
4. New Server: I will change the Nameservers of dvdcol.com and dvdcollectors.com
5. New Server: I will post a message in the forum and put something on the main page to clearly identify it as being the new server.
6. Current Server: I will post a message to let you know that the transfer is complete.
7. Current server: After 48 hours I will terminate the hosting account.

In most cases, once the nameservers are updated everyone should be connecting to the new server almost immediately.  Some ISP only update their DNS once a day so it may take up to 24 hours for you to have access.

Once the new server is up you may also still be connecting to the old one because windows keeps dns data in memory and in local caches.  After I post the message that the transfer is complete, if you are still connecting to the old one you can try the following.

Close all web browsers then in a command window type

ipconfig /flushdns

then

ipconfig /registerdns

If your ISP has updated his DNS information but your windows has not, the 2 commands above should fix it and make you connect to the new server.  For the ones with technical skills and knowledge, the current IP is 64.20.44.122, the new one will be 66.187.103.194.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:26:20 PM by Touti »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: We're moving
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »
Eric, I have a little question : Will it affect my collection who is on your server? I suppose yes.

If I understand well : in a couple days, you will change your server and the website will be unreachable for some days (and probably my collection too). Am I Right?

Touti

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:20:08 PM »
I'm not sure if you're right and wrong or if you're wrong and right  :hysterical:.

No seriously, you're partially right and partially wrong.  I am not changing my server, I am moving some sites I host to a new server but not all of them.  I'm keeping the current server and your collection will remain on it.  If I ever think of moving it I will of course coordinate everything with you.

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:20:19 PM »
ipconflig /flushdns

I doubt this command will work  ;)

Here's hoping it goes smoothly. Last time I had to do something like that.... I don't even want to think about it! Let's just say a bad hosting company, is just as bad hosting, as it is to help during a "move".  :voodoo:

Touti

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:03 PM »
ipconflig /flushdns

I doubt this command will work  ;)

Fixed

Here's hoping it goes smoothly.

It will, they're both cPanel servers, I can simply copy the whole hosting account.

Last time I had to do something like that.... I don't even want to think about it! Let's just say a bad hosting company, is just as bad hosting, as it is to help during a "move".  :voodoo:

My new server is hosted at the same place, it's a good place and I hope they stay in business as long as I do.  I only got a new server because the current one would start crawling if I kept adding accounts to it.  I'm gonna move my own sites to the new one, bring the current one up to 30 accounts, maybe 35 if they're small and leave it there.

The bottom line is, my hosting business is slowly growing so it was time to get a new server.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 07:37:24 AM »
For the ones with technical skills and knowledge, the current IP is 64.20.44.122, the new one will be 66.187.103.194.
I could misunderstand you, but I was not aware that entering http://66.187.103.194 into the address bar requires technical skill or knowledge ;)

I could lack all that technical skill mentioned above altogether, but it appears that 64.20.44.122 currently brings me to http://www.quebeccrv.com/index.php...

Touti

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 01:40:40 PM »
I could misunderstand you, but I was not aware that entering http://66.187.103.194 into the address bar requires
technical skill or knowledge ;)

Technical skills = Having enough knowledge about internet and IP addresses to be able to do a trace or a ping on a domain name to check if you are connecting to the new server or the old one.

I could lack all that technical skill mentioned above altogether, but it appears that 64.20.44.122 currently brings me to http://www.quebeccrv.com/index.php...

Since it's ahosting server, an IP address is shared for all the accounts hosted on it therefore doing a ping or a trace on the ip can resolve to any of the domains on the server.   This also means that you can't connect to a web site on a shared hosting server with the IP address only, you would need to specify the username for the server to know which site you want. 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:43:16 PM by Touti »

boumel

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 03:00:45 PM »
Last time i had to move a server, i used this strategy:
-register a new A-record www2.yourdomain.com to the new ip some days befor you move
-put the old webpage in read-only or something like that, to copy the database to the new server
-change the A-records to the new ip
-replace the old pages with a redirect to www2.yourdomain.com

Except for the few minutes to copy the database and the "2" after the www the users would not notice any changes.

Touti

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »
It's no longer necessary to go through that kind of troubles nowadays.  Most ISP's use dynamic DNS resolution and honor TTL values.  In most cases, the change of IP address is done within minutes.  I did exactly what I described above with touti.net yesterday and the change was almost immediate.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
Technical skills = Having enough knowledge about internet and IP addresses to be able to do a trace or a ping on a domain name to check if you are connecting to the new server or the old one.

:thumbup: That explantion makes sense entirely.

Since it's ahosting server, an IP address is shared for all the accounts hosted on it therefore doing a ping or a trace on the ip can resolve to any of the domains on the server.   This also means that you can't connect to a web site on a shared hosting server with the IP address only, you would need to specify the username for the server to know which site you want.
My website comes with a dedicated IP, so I thought you may have the same when you pointed out the IP for the sites. I'll just hope for the best then  ;D

Good luck for the move on your end!

Touti

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 05:38:42 PM »
My website comes with a dedicated IP, so I thought you may have the same when you pointed out the IP for the sites.

Don't forget (if you ever knew ;)) that I am the host here.  I have a hosting company, I rent VPS's (Virtual Private Servers) on which I host customers web sites and my owns.  I can/could assign dedicated IP's to each hosting account and I do so when the customer requests it (and pays extra :2cents: ;)).

I sell hosting as low as 4.95$ a month, with that kind of prices I can't really buy a 1$/month IP address for each account.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 06:29:26 AM »
No, I didn't know that you actually host the servers yourself. I am impressed. Then again, it appears to be what you do...

Touti

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »
Forums are locked, I'm beginning the move.  See ya on the new server in a few minutes.

Touti

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 04:48:48 PM »
Welcome to the new server.

The forums are opened.  Please let me know if you experience any problems.

RossRoy

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 05:01:49 PM »
Woohoo! Without a hitch. Everything A-Ok.