Author Topic: An Unexpected Move...  (Read 9746 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: An Unexpected Move...
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 04:10:19 AM »
I am trying not to get too excited yet... but as I posted on Facebook...

Wish me luck... think I got me a job! Walgreens (just down the street from me... walking distance) called me back and wants to go on to the next step (drug test). This would be great! I so can't wait to get back to working!

Then a little while later I followed that up with...

Just got back from Walgreens. Filled out and signed a form on their computer... Need to go to Louisville on either Monday or Tuesday for blood test... and said she should know something for me by Friday.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 04:36:00 AM »
Good luck. :)

The heat finally got fixed last week at work.  My voice was gone through Saturday.  The owner is still making us keep it too cold.  She isn't as strict with the other offices about the heat and stuff...oh well.

Tonight when I got home, it wasn't doing anything.  Less than 30 minutes later I looked out, and the driveway was completely covered in snow.  Think the forecast said something like possible 3 inches or something.

I'm tired of winter and tired of snow.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
Is it common in the US to have drug and blood tests for a job interview? Never heard of such a thing here in Germany.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 04:42:06 PM »
It is pretty standard now a days I believe. Especially with the bigger companies. Though I did have to sign a waiver to allow them to test me. No big deal to me there... never in my life done any drugs... never even smoked... never even drank alcohol.  So why would I care if they want to test me. :P
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 08:59:03 PM »
Don't eat anything with poppy seeds - you will test positive for heroin.

Some insurance companies also test for drugs, alcohol, tobacco etc. I see it all the time.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2014, 10:50:43 PM »
So why would I care if they want to test me. :P

Because it's a pretty harsh invasion of privacy.*

In Germany a potential employer isn't even allowed to ask if you (if you're female, naturally ;)) are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant anytime soon. The only time this question is actually allowed is when you're applying for a job with a health risk to your baby (e.g. you're applying in a chemical lab).

*I mean you already live in a hire&fire society. Why should an employer be bothered if you're smoking some weed as long as if doesn't impact your job performance? And if it does, he can simply give you the pink slip anyway...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 10:55:33 PM »
Well, first of.. Good luck Pete! :)
And second of all, i would have to agree with Dj here. In Norway we're not used to a employer asking for drug\blood tests before hiring someone. And as DJ said, why should your boss care about what you do in your own sparetime? As long as it doesnt impact your job. I dont know how i would feel about it tho.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 01:20:40 AM »
although quite often large contact jobs might ask for that I find just the occasional job having that requirement.  I think that the thought is that if you'deal' in illegal drugs (buy, sell, give away, take) then maybe you won't be the most reliable candidate.  I have had some even ask for a financial check along with full background check. Though I usually refuse these, and paying on the job, I take into consideration the jobs and responsibility. From work at government facilities to banks sometimes a job process is more like a physical :-[
Thank you
David

MEJHarrison

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »
I don't really know why they drug test, but if I were to play Devil's Advocate, here's my guess:

If you go home after work and smoke some pot, that's really not a big deal.  But what if you're hiring someone hooked on harder drugs?  I would think the likelihood of merchandise disappearing would be much higher if you're hooked on meth for example.  Also, if I was hiring a position and someone came in without the self-control to get their system clean ahead of time, I'd think that would be a big clue that they may not have control over their vice which would likely lead to more problems on the job.  And of course the big one.  Your employee is in an accident driving a company vehicle.  A standard test shows cocaine.  Was that on or off the job?  Were they high at the time or is it from the night before?  Regardless, if you hit someone, they're likely suing you, your manager, the person who hired you, the store owner & your company at the very least.  And this being the good 'ol USA, they'll likely sue the car manfacturer, the city, and the people who make the tires too.  We take the shotgun approach to our legal system.  Go after everybody you can in the hopes that you'll win money from someone.

With all that said, the only time I've run into this was many years ago (mid '90s).  I had to be drug tested for Circuit City to work in the warehouse.

I've never been required to take a drug test for any of my "professional" jobs (i.e. working as a computer programmer).  Although my currently employer does reserve the right to do random drug testing, I think that's there more for situations when they suspect something.  I've never heard of them actually testing.  In my personal experience and those of the people I know, drug testing for employment is more of a blue-collar thing.

Oddly enough, if I come to work drunk, they can fire me on the spot.  If I come to work high, they'll send me to drug counseling instead.  Not that I've ever seen either situation enforced here.  But those are the rules.

northbloke

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2014, 01:59:05 AM »
America is a strange country, over here if someone drinks or does drugs they're usually made an executive!  :P

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
America is a strange country, over here if someone drinks or does drugs they're usually made an executive!  :P

That's what Mark said:
drug testing for employment is more of a blue-collar thing
So probably the test is just to make sure they don't have to instantly promote you?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2014, 04:36:43 AM »
I haven't had to take one, but I've heard about a lot of places making people do one before they are hired. 
Somewhere around here did the drug testing with strands of hair...evidently the longer the hair, the further back it goes, so if someone had had a problem or used stuff in the past, it would show up if your hair was long enough.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
The place I had the drug test done said Walgreens should get the results by today... so hoping to hear something soon now.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2014, 02:30:58 AM »
Fingers crossed.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:52 PM »
As of yet I still haven't heard anything from Walgreens. So while out on my walk I stopped by there this morning.

- Good News: Drug Test came back... I am not on drugs! :P
- Great News: I GOT THE JOB!!!!! :)
- Bad News: I probably won't be starting until the week after next (that is when their budget increase comes in)

They told me that they will give me all the info when the call me in the first day (how many hours...how much I will make...etc.)

It took all I had not to show my excitement right there in the store when she told me I was hired! :P

I so feel like going out and celebrating... but till now I had no job... so no money to do anything! LOL :P
Pete