Author Topic: Which to buy?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Which to buy?
« on: August 25, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »
I'm not a miserly person. When going out with friends I consider myself generous. I also have the occasional impulse buy of something that I don't actually need (right now).

But on the other hand I'm also very price-aware. I don't spend any more money than I think the item is worth. So even when I wanted I certain movie, I would not pay €17 (the current standard asking price in our electronic stores) for a Blu-ray because I think it's too much. I wait until it drops below €13, even if that means waiting for a few months.

So, now I'm in a predicament about my price-awareness. I'm considering the whole series box of The West Wing.

On Amazon.com it costs $95 plus shipping plus customs. The catch is that I have a lot of gift certificates which would pay for the DVD price and the shipping completely. Which means only the customs which makes roughly €14.50 for the whole set.

On Amazon.co.uk the whole set plus shipping would cost me roughly €60.

Looks like an easy choice. But here's the catch: Including shipping and customs the .com set actually costs me €90, it's only due to the gift certificates that it appears to be cheaper.

I'd hate to throw away €30 just because I don't really notice it in my wallet but on the other hand I wouldn't really know what else to spend the gift certificates on anyway.....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:22:15 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Which to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Maybe you could swap the certificates with someone in the US if they have something you want? And then buy the box from Amazon UK.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 06:30:20 PM »
I always thought that Amazon-vouchers could be used in all of their shops.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »
I always thought that Amazon-vouchers could be used in all of their shops.

Unfortunately they're not.

I decided to go with the UK set and I also ordered the complete set of Gilmore Girls for £45.

But I also ordered House of Cards S1 (Blu-ray) from the US for $25.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:22:38 PM »
I decided to go with the UK set and I also ordered the complete set of Gilmore Girls for £45.

I recently bought it as a blind buy from amazon.de for €45.
I have started watching season 2 yesterday. So far nothing ground-breaking, but I enjoy it.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
I have started watching season 2 yesterday. So far nothing ground-breaking, but I enjoy it.

Cancelled & re-ordered.

I still have Dawson's Creek to watch but I'm stuck in the second season an d just can't motivate myself to continue watching.
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 08:42:25 PM »

Cancelled & re-ordered.

I still have Dawson's Creek to watch but I'm stuck in the second season an d just can't motivate myself to continue watching.

The German Gilmore Girls boxset is quite nice.

My favorite Dawson's Creek season is the third one. The second season was also a let down for me after the first season, which I enjoyed.