Author Topic: My town  (Read 3696 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My town
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 09:26:08 PM »
I was just watching a program on TV and I realized how very Swedish it is, and that perhaps I should tell you a little bit about it. The program is called "Allsång på Skansen" (Sing-along at Skansen) and is broadcast live every tuesday at 8 pm during the summer months, from the open air museum of Skansen, located at the island Djurgården (you know the one you can get to with those cute little ferries).

This program has been shown every summer since 1979! It has had a variety of hosts. The current host is a very popular singer/songwriter named Månz Zelmerlöw. The program always starts with the quintessential love song to my town, "Stockholm i mitt hjärta" (Stockholm in my heart).

The opening of the show often features various views of Stockholm, and I found the opening sequence from a 2011 show on Youtube. It features some very nice aireal shots of Stockholm and the opening song sung not only by Månz, but also of three other well known singers. There is Björn Skifs who had a mega hit with "Hooked on a feeling" (released under the band name "Blue Swede" in the US). Then there is opera singer Loa Falkman, and finally musical star Peter Jöback, who is currently playing the lead role in Phantom of the Opera on Broadway.

You may not understand the lyrics, so let me give you a brief translation of the refrain:

Stockholm in my heart
Let me sing to you now
Aged in youthful green
The city of islands you are
Of the cities I know in the world
You are the city that got it all
Through lake Mälarens love of the sea
A mixture of sweet and salt

Here you go - enjoy!

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
Our motto is short and sweet:

Let's go Buffalo!

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 10:32:25 PM »
Here are a few more pictures of the tobacco fountain and its sculptures:

Herxheim also has a small creek. And in the pre washing machine days people had to wash their clothes somewhere. I assume it's the same artist as the one who created the fountain who also created these:

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »
Our motto is short and sweet:

Let's go Buffalo!
Go where? Aren't you already there? Oh, you mean "Let's leave Buffalo"?  :devil:

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 05:10:50 AM »
True story: Back in the 80s, New Jersey politicians assembled with the consideration of making Born to Run by star resident Bruce Springsteen their state anthem. Here is the first verse from the song:

- In the day we sweat it out on the streets
- of a runaway American dream
- At night we ride through the mansions of glory
- in suicide machines
- Sprung from cages out on highway 9,
- Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, - and steppin' out over the line
- h-Oh, Baby this town rips the bones from your back
- It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
- We've gotta get out while we're young
- 'Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Thinking of this as the song one would sing when you mention the state, there are so many things wrong with that verse alone that I don't know where to start! :laugh:
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.