Author Topic: Laptop  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 08:36:08 AM »
I didn't know... this is suppose to be better than having everything on the vertical start button? Guess it's a question of habit since I use that button since Window95 :shrug:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »
This is my Desktop:

And this is my other Desktop:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
I didn't know... this is suppose to be better than having everything on the vertical start button? Guess it's a question of habit since I use that button since Window95 :shrug:

The design is with tablets and touchscreen in mind. And there it is better this way. And contrary to my initial thought, I also don't mind it with a traditional PC setup.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
The design is with tablets and touchscreen in mind.
Maybe but... it's for the computer. If we want to get the feel of a tablet we would buy a tablet not a computer.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
Maybe but... it's for the computer. If we want to get the feel of a tablet we would buy a tablet not a computer.

Windows 8 is for also for tablets.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »

But even Microsoft has heard of customized version for different purposes.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 05:04:52 PM »
In that case there is no reason to make it a new computer version of the Windows operating system and force the new computer buyer to get it. Of course we can get something else but we have to pay for it, this is what happen when I purchased my computer and didn't want to be a beta tester of Vista and request to have XP on my system.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »

The design for Metro IS for a 'tablet' like device (phones etc).  Reading a bunch of the tech/design blogs it really isn't for anyone who "works" on a device.  But UI is an old argument.  Much like the late 70's early 80's when GUIs were first trying to break into workplace.  In the right *environment* they work well and in other environments they don't.  Same with Touch/Swipe ui.  If you are editing data, building spreadsheets/ copying from one to another etc touch/swipe is not the environment to be in :)

If you want to surf or play Angry Birds or write the occasional email .. cool.
Thank you
David

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 06:19:02 PM »
If you want to surf or play Angry Birds or write the occasional email .. cool.

Even "writing the occasional email" can be a problem. Okay, replace it with "write the occasional forum post" (like this one).

Reducing a quote to its core statement is a nightmare on a tablet (I know, I have an iPad). because there's no precision between your fingertips and a concrete point where you want to have your cursor. Then you have to select a bunch of text and remove it for which you only have the backspace key and no delete key if your cursor has accidentally hit the spot before a few letters you want to remove. You have no sensory feedback if you actually hit the key and you constantly have to check if you hit the right key. I'm not a ten-finger master speller, but I do can type blindly with my personal 5 finger system on a proper keyboard.

Noch schlimmer wird es in einer Sprache wie der deutschen, wo man noch öfter als bei Englisch die Shift-Taste benutzen muss, weil wir alle Substantive nun mal groß schreiben.
(It gets even worse in a language like German because we have to use the shift key more often than with English because we capitalize all nouns.)
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 06:24:56 PM »
I agree that forum posts can be bothersome on a tablet. For writing I use the Swype keyboard, which can be downloaded on Andoid. With that one, upper and lower case in the German language is not that much as a problem, because of auto recognition of the "swyped" word.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
I did not know that I could get rid of some of the tiles or rearrange them.  I'll try that later. 

I did look up a few things on Windows 8 after I got this...everything I've read said it was originally designed for touchscreens.  There should be an option to make it look like Widows 7 for those of us who don't like the tiles and don't have touch screens.  I remember with XP I think it was, there was the option to make it look like older versions..or maybe you can do that in 7.  But for whatever reason you can't with 8, which stinks.  I wouldn't want those tiles on my phone or tablet either.  I did finally get a smartphone in February...can't remember if I posted about that or not -work was kind of nuts then.   Anyway, my phone doesn't use those tiles either..I didn't get a Windows phone. 

I did get a wireless mouse last night.  I finally got the package open..  :laugh: It is so much better than just the touchpad.  I can do stuff with the touchpad, but it takes longer.  Now I can scroll on web pages again.  Woohoo. 

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 11:38:05 PM »
Now I can scroll on web pages again.
Now at least this is easy to achieve on a touchpad. Just put index- and middlefinger on it and move them up or down on the pad and see what happens.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 03:03:02 AM »
Now at least this is easy to achieve on a touchpad. Just put index- and middlefinger on it and move them up or down on the pad and see what happens.

Nothing happened.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 06:29:24 AM »

Nothing happened.
Well, on my MacBook it scrolls :P (but I think I may have had to make a setting for that).

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 09:23:36 AM »

Well, on my MacBook it scrolls :P (but I think I may have had to make a setting for that).

Good for you :P  ;)

I don't have a MacBook...I didn't mess with any settings with the touchpad either.  I haven't even tried to mess with the tiles yet.