Author Topic: Laptop  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Laptop
« on: June 21, 2013, 07:55:43 AM »
I got a laptop today...well I guess it is technically yesterday now.  Whatever. 

Anyway, I have a laptop now.  I'm using it now.  The touchpad thing seems odd to me..I want my mouse,,  :laugh:
I do not, in any way, shape or form, like Windows 8.  The tiles annoy me.  I got a free download of Windows 8 for Dummies with the computer...I had to go through that to even figure out how to shut it off earlier.  Even that book thing says that Windows 8 is designed for touch screens..even some of the help stuff on the laptop keep telling me to swipe this or that, which I can't do since this doesn't have a touch screen.  It's just annoying.  I want my Windows 7 back.  Windows 8 is not user friendly for me.  Hmmm...maybe Sheldon on Big Bang will like it since it thought 7 was too user friendly.   :laugh:

I haven't done alot with the laptop yet..I've got Firefox on it now..and DVD Profilier.  I even had to go download the solitare games from the Windows store - something else that is annoying.

I just wanted one to use to work on reviews sometimes and do some online stuff mostly.  I won't try to play WoW on it or anything like that.  I suppose I didn't really need it, but I wanted it.  I'll still use the desktop too.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:17:17 AM »
I believe they alternate...?

:thumbup: Windows 3.1
 :puke:: Windows 95
 :thumbup: Windows 98
 :puke: Windows ME
 :thumbup: Windows 2000
 :thumbup: Windows XP
 :puke: Windows Vista
 :thumbup: Windows 7
 :puke: Windows 8

Well, at least except that double-step in the middle there. I have never seen Windows 8 in action, but have not heard anything good yet. I still use XP (for DVD Profiler) and occasionally Windows 7; but generally I am use OS X.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »
As a Workaround to the missing touch-screen, you may want to enable mouse-gestures (Comes as part of many Synaptics touchpad-drivers).

Win8 has a different style and it definitely needs some time to get used to it. Nevertheless many users seem to be quite happy with it (I'm not and changed back to Win7 immediately).
So just try if you can work yourself in, if not, you can always go back to Win7 (licenses are getting cheaper at the moment).

MEJHarrison

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
You can always drop by Best Buy or wherever and pick up a cheap USB mouse.  I go touchpad for small things.  But if I'm going to spend much time on my laptop, I get my mouse out.

Haven't used Windows 8 myself yet.  But it seems to me that most of the complaints surrounding Windows 8 have more to do with the interface than the OS itself.  I've not heard many people saying the underlying OS is crap.  So hopefully you'll adjust.  Or just turn off the Metro interface.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:19:04 PM »
I've not heard many people saying the underlying OS is crap.  So hopefully you'll adjust.
That's because the underlying OS is basically Win7.
The (noticeable) changes are mostly handling changes, which you'll need to get used to.
The problem for me is that many of the configuration tools got moved to new places that's why with Win8 I'm using the console again.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 11:05:53 PM »
Marie, if you can try to stick it out with the mouse pad and you will (probably) get used to it.  I used to have a travel mouse (travelled 9 months of the year) when I first got a laptop with pad.  But although it sits in my travel bag I never used it anymore over the last 6-7 years.  It is like trackballs.  For graphics i found it much more forgiving than a mouse but it took me a long time to get used to it.

As for W8 get rid of it if you can.  Just my opinion but I work 8-12 hrs a day on computers and I took my last laptop back after a week because the productivity just plumeted.  I know of no companies that are moving to W8 yet.  There is testing going on but most of the places I know simply will not think about moving until sp1 and see IF they have fixed not only that UI but also some networking/connectivity issues.

Just my 2cents
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 04:37:52 AM »
I already figured I would get a USB mouse.  For some things it doesn't seem too bad, but i still miss my mouse.  :laugh:  I may have to check on trying to go back to Windows 7.  I can get to the desktop thing that mostly looks like Widows 7, but there is no start button...and they hid how to shut it off.  It's stupid and not user friendly.  Just because those tile things may work on a phone or tablet with a touch screen, doesn't mean they work on all computers.  I never liked the look the tiles for the smartphones or tablets. 

Oh, I forgot to mention last night.  This one was on sale and I ended up getting one for my mom too. 

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »
My first computer was a laptop and that is all I've ever owned...what's a mouse?  :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »
I like Windows 8.

just think of it that the tiles replace the pinned start menu apps. you still have the desktop. And what I have heard, the service pack will bring back the start button.

As for a mouse:I recommend going for a wireless mouse with one of the small USB receivers.They should be around $20-30 and well worth it.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 03:31:48 PM »
the service pack will bring back the start button

Yes that was announced. But what does it do? It opens the Start Screen! That's like implementing a big Fuck-You-Button for those who wanted the Start Menu back.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 04:09:30 AM »
the service pack will bring back the start button

Yes that was announced. But what does it do? It opens the Start Screen! That's like implementing a big Fuck-You-Button for those who wanted the Start Menu back.

That's what I read too...that all the start button does is take you back to the tiles.  I hate the tiles.  They have crap I don't need or want, and I have to scroll and scroll and scroll to get to the few things that I've actually installed...because I want to use them.  Those are way past all the nonsense I don't want.  It was telling me the temperature in antwerp...and a bunch of other places no where near me. I don't need to know that.  And it is ridiculous that you have to go through the Windows store and download solitare.  It logs me in the Xbox network when I play solitare.  Why in the world is that necessary??  I'm sure Word Pad ..note pad..whatever that is called isn't on there either.  I haven't tried to find it. 

I do like the laptop so far.  I just don't like Windows 8.  They ruined everything that was good about Windows 7.

I'll get a wireless mouse.  I miss my scroll wheel when I'm browsing the internet.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 06:39:04 AM »
Just an FYI: You can re-order, group and remove tiles from the Start Screen without deinstalling the programs behind.

You simply right-click on all of those you don't want on the Start Screen and then select "Unpin from Start".

For re-ordering you simply drag them around.

Sometimes there will a barrier appear. That's how you group them.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:47:21 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »
WOW, that makes an ugly looking desktop... I'm sure happy with XP.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 07:17:48 AM »
It's not the Desktop, it's the Start Screen. There's a difference.
Karsten