Author Topic: Browser Help  (Read 1349 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Browser Help
« on: April 26, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
My brother is on an old, slow Windows XP computer... and he is looking for a good browser that don't take up much of his resources. He is looking into Firefox and Google Chrome. What are your thoughts on these two browsers? Prefer one over the other? Any other suggestions that he should look into?
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Help
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »
I've used Firefox for quite awhile. But, for some reason I could not access my gmail on it so I deleted it.

I thought I'd try to use Google Chrome so I used it for a couple of weeks and did not like it. I ended up re-installing Firefox.

I find Firefox meets the needs of a user who has no idea what they are doing computer wise!  :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »
I'm on XP too, except that my computer isn't slow, and Firefox do the job perfectly for me :thumbup:

I've tried Chrome and didn't like it at all...

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
Solely based on the use of resources, tests that I ran years ago showed Chrome to be the best, but it's been a few years and my findings are likely outdated.

As with software in general, the further they develop, the more they work toward taking advantage of more powerful processors which increases resources, so as much as the general pop would disagree with me, when you have a much older system, it is better to go to a site like oldapps.com and download an earlier version of the software. In the end (specifically with browsers) this could cause issues because the language used for displaying websites changes as well, making some sites not as comparable, but what good does it do to have the latest model when you can only get it to creep along?
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 12:18:13 AM »
From these two Firefox (best in combination with tor ) is to be preferred, simply for having the better privacy.

With installing Chrome you are allowing Google to trace, collect and use all of your movements on the Internet and this is explicitly not limited to the movements made with Chrome.

Personally I'm using mainly Opera (which since version 12.15 has a 64-Bit version).

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 05:42:37 AM »
I've been using Firefox for years.  I like it much more than Explorer.  I haven't tried Chrome.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:52:42 AM »
[...] and this is explicitly not limited to the movements made with Chrome.
Say what...? You got a link for that?

I use Chrome when I need Flash on my Mac, because they use their own Flash engine and I don't need to install Adobe's Flash. But this might change my stance on the topic...

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »
[...] and this is explicitly not limited to the movements made with Chrome.
Say what...? You got a link for that?

I use Chrome when I need Flash on my Mac, because they use their own Flash engine and I don't need to install Adobe's Flash. But this might change my stance on the topic...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2008/09/google-on-chrome-eula-controversy-our-bad-well-change-it/
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_text.html

But it seems they've changed the term since it nowadays reads "When using Google Services ...", which de facto doesn't mean anything since you are already "using" Google Services when opening a site that is indexed by Google.