Author Topic: At the Library  (Read 12022 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: At the Library
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 05:20:01 AM »
And it reinforces my decision to stay out of the ocean.

I had a weird experience during my recent trip to Malaysia. Let me preface this by saying, that I am the same with you and are quite scared of the ocean especially in regards of sharks. However, during that recent trip we went to a beach on a small island and the tour guides mentioned we could witness a shark feeding later on. I had no idea how that would work. Anyway, early afternoon they brought us to another beach (same island) where many people were feeding fish right on the beach. And swimming around all those fish were white top and black tip reef sharks! Mind you, those were babies only (about 60cm in length, maybe...?), but nonetheless they were live sharks. I also walked into the water and had them swim around me. All in all an almost surreal experience for me.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2013, 03:16:09 AM »
Yikes.  No way I would have walked into the water in that situation.  I don't want to be in the water with any sort of fish..and definitely not a shark, even if it is a baby.  Just the thought of it freaks me out.  I think I've seen too many  movies with monsters, creatures, or mutant fish/sharks attacking and eating people.

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2013, 05:41:42 AM »
@Achim - OMG, that sounds awesome!!  I am so envious.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 06:23:16 PM »
As I said in the other thread... today I took a walk... stopped by the courthouse to get my Kentucky ID and then I found the local library and got my library card and borrowed a few videos.

There is definitely a difference between this library and the one back in Maryland. The first thing I noticed is they also have blu-ray discs you can borrow!  :yahoo: The one where I was only had DVDs. Back in Maryland you could get up to 5 DVDs out at a time. Here you can only get 2 out at a time. But f you have a blu-ray player you could also get up to 2 Blu-rays out as well. So I am able to get a total of 4 videos out at a time.  :thumbup:

Today I ended up borrowing....

Grown Ups
| Year: 2010 | 102 Min.

Just because you grow older doesn't mean you have to grow up! Comedy superstars Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade and Rob Schneider are at their outrageous and hysterical best playing childhood friends who reunite one holiday weekend to relive the good old days. It doesn't matter that these five guys are now respectable businessmen, husbands and fathers. Once they get back together, nothing is going to stop these kids-at-heart from having the time of their adult lives. From the people who brought you Click, comes this hilarious and heartwarming film that proves men will be boys.

Iron Man: Rise of Technovore
| Year: 2013 | 88 Min.

Billionaire Tony Stark, in his Iron Man armor, prevents an attack from a mysterious new foe, but innocent bystanders are killed, including his best friend War Machine, Lt. Colonel James Rhodes. Detained for questioning by S.H.I.E.L.D., Iron Man escapes, determined to find the mastermind behind the attack. Pursued by Black Widow and Hawkeye, Iron Man enlists the help of the ruthless vigilante The Punisher. But can the Armored Avenger handle what he finds when he catches the person responsible and is forced to face his deadliest weapon, a biotechnology called Technovore that could wipe out all life on the planet?

United States of Tara: The First Season
| Year: 2009 | 332 Min.

The newest Showtime smash hit United States of Tara comes to DVD for the first time!  When loving wife and mother Tara goes off her identity disorder pills, a cast of internal characters are unleashed on the Gregson family – for good and bad.  Emmy® Award Winner* Toni Collette expertly plays all of Tara's "alters" – including Buck, a beer-and gun-loving truck driver; T, a foul-mouthed teenager; and Alice, a perfect 50s housewife – all intertwined with Tara herself, who's desperately trying to hold her family together.  It's all hysterically funny, dramatic and sweet – would you expect anything less from Academy Award®-winning** writer Diablo Cody and Steven Spielberg?

*2009 Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series, United States Of Tara
**2007 Best Original Screenplay, Juno

Haven: The Complete First Season
| Year: 2010 | 572 Min.

FBI Agent Audrey Parker (Emily Rose) travels to Haven, Maine to investigate the murder of a local ex-con, but soon discovers that the small town is a refuge for people with supernatural afflictions. Now, it's up to her to unlock Haven's mysterious secrets, including the hidden truth about her past.

In the case of Haven... it is only the first two discs of the set.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »
I walked to the library again... I got...

Scary Movie V
| Year: 2013 | 88 Min.

Home with their newly-formed family, happy parents Dan and Jody are haunted by sinister, paranormal activities – disrupting new mama Jody's dancing aspirations in the "Swan Lake" ballet and threatening Dan's rise as an ape researcher. Determined to expel the insidious force, they install security cameras and discover their family is being stalked by an evil dead demon! The latest installment of the SCARY MOVIE franchise includes hilarious, non-stop send ups of some of the biggest recent cinematic hits and pop culture, featuring Ashley Tisdale, Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, Snoop Dogg, Katt Williams, Katrina Bowden, Kate Walsh, Heather Locklear and Mike Tyson.

Cheaper by the Dozen 2
| Year: 2005 | 94 Min.

Steve Martin is funnier than ever in this hilarious sequel! Tom Baker (Steve Martin) and wife Kate (Bonnie Hunt) bring their clan together for a memorable summer getaway. But their dream vacation turns into an outrageous competition with the overachieving, overzealous family of Tom's long-time rival, Jimmy Murtaugh (Eugene Levy). Featuring the original Baker kids, including Hilary Duff, Tom Welling and Piper Perabo, this supersized comedy is fun for the whole family!

Pushing Daisies: The Complete First Season
| Year: 2007 | 410 Min.

Every not-so-often, along comes a show that's different. Wonderfully different. Pushing Daisies, TV Guide's Matt Roush writes, "restores my faith in TV's ability to amuse, enchant and entertain." It's the story of Ned, a lonely pie maker whose touch can reanimate the dead. Cool, but there's a hitch. If Ned touches the person again, the miracle is reversed. If he doesn't, a bystander goes toes up. What to do? Easy: Team with a private eye, bring murder victims back just long enough to discover whodunit, and collect the rewards. Things go well until Ned's boyhood sweetie is the next dear departed, and he can't resist bringing her back for keeps! Dig the wit, style and quirky romance: If you're not laughing, you may need a visit from Ned.

EPISODES:
1. Pie-Lette
2. Dummy
3. The Fun in Funeral
4. Pigeon
5. Girth
6. Bitches
7. Smell of Success
8. Bitter Sweets
9. Corpsicle

And I also got the other half of Haven: Season 1.
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
And I also got the other half of Haven: Season 1.
How did you like the first?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »
I liked it... hope to add the series to my collection before  too long. Kind of feels like Stephen King's answer to The X-Files. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2014, 06:54:49 PM »
Stopped by the library today... picked up...

I Don't Know How She Does it
| Year: 2011 | 89 Min.

Trying to balance work and family is a non-stop juggling act for Kate Reddy (Sarah Jessica Parker). As a determined Boston-based finance executive, she devotes her day to her job and her night to her adoring husband Richard (Greg Kinnear) and their two young children. In between conference calls, meetings, deadlines, and her daughter's school bake sale, Kate manages to survive on a daily basis. But when she gets handed a major new account that will require frequent trips to New York, and Richard also wins the new job he's been hoping for, bot will be spreading themselves even thinner. Complicating matters is Kate's charming new business associate Jack Abelhammer (Pierce Brosnan), a handsome executive whose unexpected emotional support becomes a source of refuge.

Also starring: Christina Hendricks, Kelsey Grammer, Seth Meyers and Olivia Munn.

Warm Bodies
| Year: 2013 | 98 Min.

An unlikely romance between a beautiful human teen and a sensitive undead slacker sets off a chain of events with the power to transform the world.

With Great Power...The Stan Lee Story
| Year: 2010 | 80 Min.

A feature length documentary on the life and creations of Stan Lee. Stan Lee is the co-creator of Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Iron Man and over 200 other characters that can be found in comic books, movie screens, and in retail stores around the world.

Revenge: The Complete First Season
| Year: 2011 | 924 Min.

Beneath the luxurious lifestyle of the Hamptons lies a dark, dirty secret and a twisted tale of passion, suspense and ultimate redemption. Enter the alluring world of the rich and ruthless with ABC's Revenge: The Complete First Season.

Wealth, beauty and power define the residents of New York's most exclusive community, but one woman will stop at nothing to exact revenge from those who ruined her father's life. Witness Emily Thorne's (Emily VanCamp) brilliantly vindictive plot against Victoria Grayson (Madeline Stowe), the reigning queen of the Hamptons, and all who destroyed her family. However, even the best-laid plans can unravel in the wake of an unexpected love triangle between Emily, the son of her greatest nemesis and a forgotten face from her past.

Experience all 22 episodes of ABC's sensational new series, plus exclusive bonus features that draw you deeper into the mystery. It's riveting entertainment that holds you in its grasp from the very first thrilling episode to the season's final climactic moment!

Episodes:
1. Pilot
2. Trust
3. Betrayal
4. Duplicity
5. Guilt
6. Intrigue
7. Charade
8. Treachery
9. Suspicion
10. Loyalty
11. Duress
12. Infamy
13. Commitment
14. Perception
15. Chaos
16. Scandal
17. Doubt
18. Justice
19. Absolution
20. Legacy
21. Grief
22. Reckoning

Note: Only got the first 2 discs of Revenge (10 eps.) so far... get the next 2 on the next trip if I like the series.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
Took a walk to the library today.. picked up...

The Breakfast Club
| Year: 1985 | 97 Min.

From writer/director John Hughes (Sixteen Candles, Weird Science), The Breakfast Club is an iconic portrait of 1980s American high shcool life. When Saturday detention started, they were simply the Jock, the Princess, the Brain, the Criminal and the Basket Case, but by that afternoon they had become closer than any of them could have imagined. Featuring an all-star '80s cast including Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, and Ally Sheedy, this warmhearted coming-of-age comedy helped define an entire generation!

Hot in Cleveland: Season One
| Year: 2010 | 215 Min.

When three best friends from Los Angeles (Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves and Wendie Malick) unexpectedly find themselves in Cleveland, they are thrilled to discover THEY'RE HOT.

Loving their new home, the women find themselves living under one roof and battling feisty, quick-witted caretaker (Betty White).

Join the girls on their Cleveland escapades in this complete season one set. Free Elka!

Iron Man Hulk: Heroes United
| Year: 2013 | 71 Min.

Marvel makes cinematic history again with the most unexpected team-up in the universe! Joining forces for the first time ever, Hulk's pulverizing brute strength and Tony Stark's high-tech brainpower comes together to face-off against the ultimate enemy.

When "Zzzax," a seemingly invincible, energy-devouring monster, threatens to destroy the planet, Marvel's unlikelist pairing of Avengers is mankind's only hope. Alone, neither can defeat the awesome power of Zzax. As a duo, they just might have a chance – if they can find a way to work together without smashing heads before time runs out!

Packed with explosive action, loaded with explosive bonus features and presented in groundbreaking Marvel CG Animation, Marvel's Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United is a must-own movie event that will blow you away!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 07:24:51 PM »
No sooner I got back here and got comfy the library called telling me a disc I had on hold just came in... so back to the library I went... came back with...

The Wolverine
| Year: 2013 | 136 Min.

Hugh Jackman returns as The Wolverine and faces his ultimate nemesis in an action-packed life-or-death battle that takes him to modern-day Japan. Vulnerable for the first time and pushed to his limits, Logan confronts not only lethal samurai steel but also his inner struggle against his own immortality; an epic fight that will leave him forever changed.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »
Stopped by the library today... brought home...

House at the End of the Street
| Year: 2012 | 102 Min.

Academy Award® Nominees Jennifer Lawrence* (The Hunger Games) and Elizabeth Shue** star in this edge-of-your-seat thriller about a newly divorced mom (Shue) and her daughter (Lawrence), who move to the suburbs for a fresh start. But their hopes turn to horror when they meet Ryan (Max Thieriot), the sole survivor of a grisly family murder that took place next door...and his secretive past could become their worst nightmare!

*Actress, Winter's Bone, 2010 **Actress, Leaving Las Vegas, 1995

One for the Money
| Year: 2012 | 91 Min.

Stephanie Plum (Katherine Heigl) is a bright, attractive, confident woman whose entire life has just taken a sudden turn – in the totally wrong direction. Newly divorced and recently laid off, the only work she can scrape up is a dead-end job at her sleazy cousin's bail bond office. But when her first big assignment involves tracking down an on-the-lam ex-flame (Jason O'Mara), this tough-as-nails lady bounty hunter will be redefining the meaning of hot pursuit in this thrill-packed action comedy.

American Pickers: The Complete Season One
| Year: 2010 | 452 Min.

In small towns, and along America's back roads, treasures are waiting to be uncovered - valuable relics from our history that are hidden in junk piles, buried in barns and stacked in garages. It takes experts to find them...and turn rust to riches. Season One of American Pickers on History follows highly skilled "pickers" Mike Wolfe, owner of Antique Archaeology in Iowa, and his business partner Frank Fritz, as they hunt down objects with historical, collectible and pop culture value that have been long forgotten by their owners. From a vintage Harley to a one-of-a-kind Ferris wheel, each treasure hunt uncovers weird and wonderful America, offering a glimpse into a little-known side of the antiques business. Along the way, Mike and Frank meet people whose own stories open a window into American lives and history.

The Call
| Year: 2013 | 94 Min.

In this heart-pounding, edge-of-your-seat thriller, veteran 911 operator Jordan (Academy Award® Winner Halle Berry: Best Actress, Monster's Ball, 2001) takes a life-altering call from a teenage girl (Academy Award® Nominee Abigail Breslin: Best Supporting Actress, Little Miss Sunshine, 2006) who has been kidnapped and thrown into the trunk of a madman's car. But with the clock ticking, Jordan soon realizes she must confront a killer from her past to put an end to a serial killer's haunting rampage. Also starring Morris Chestnut.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2014, 02:05:52 AM »
I stopped by the library today and picked up...

Ted
| Year: 2012 | 112 Min.

Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane delivers his signature boundary-pushing humor in the outrageous comedy-blockbuster critics are calling "hysterically funny!" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone)

John Bennett (Mark Wahlberg) is a grown man whose cherished teddy bear came to life as the result of a childhood wish...and hasn't left his side since. Can John's relationship with longtime girlfriend, Lori (Mila Kunis), move forward with his lovably profane buddy in the picture?

Red Dawn
| Year: 2012 | 93 Min.

Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Josh Hutcherson (The Hunger Games), and Isabel Lucas (Immortals) deliver a full arsenal of pulse-pounding excitement in this explosive action-adventure! The unsuspecting citizens of Spokane, Washington, wake up one morning to the shocking sight of foreign paratroopers dropping from the sky in a surprise attack on the United States. Soon the entire city is under enemy control, but a group of courageous teenagers has decided to fight back, waging an all-out war against the invaders, to take back their town — and their freedom!

I didn't realize they remade Red Dawn.... loved the original. Hopefully this one is good as well.
Pete

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »
You got some real good movies there Pete! And The Call was real good aswell!
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2014, 05:19:08 PM »
Stopped by the library today... borrowed the following...

Teen Witch / The Heavenly Kid
| Year: 1985 | 185 Min.

Teen Witch
Romance is the most powerful spell of all...or so one teenager learns in this fun teen fantasy starring Robyn Lively ("Chicago Hope"), Zelda Rubinstein (the Poltergeist trilogy), Dan Gauthier ("Beverly Hills, 90210") and Dick Sargent ("Bewitched"). Filled with sweet-natured comedy and supernatural appeal, Teen Witch will work its magic on you!

Louise is a shy misfit with a huge crush on – and no chance of dating – Brad (Gauthier), the hunky star of the high school football team. And when Louise discovers on her 16th birthday that she's descended from Salem witches, she uses her newfound powers to become the most popular girl on campus! But when sparks fly between her and Brad, how can she be sure it's true love...and that he's not simply spellbound?

The Heavenly Kid
Nerdish, bullied Lenny Barnes (Jason Gedrick, TV's "Boomtown") gets divine intervention to educate him in the ways of amore. Enter Angel castoff Bobby Fantana (Lewis Smith, 'Wyatt Earp'), a former rebel-without-a-cause, to mold Lenny into the king of cool, and finally earn his entry into heaven. After Bobby gives Lenny an extreme makeover, Lenny learns that being popular isn't all it's cracked up to be. A hilarious gem with Jane Kaczmarek of TV's "Malcolm in the Middle".

Super 8
| Year: 2011 | 112 Min.

J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg join forces in this extraordinary tale of youth, mystery and adventure. Super 8 tells the story of six friends who witness a train wreck while making a Super 8 movie, only to learn that something unimaginable escaped during the crash. They soon discover that the only thing more mysterious than what it is, is what it wants. Experience the film that critics rave is "filled with unstoppable imagination and visual effects to spare. It will put a spell on you."*

*Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Salt
| Year: 2010 | 104 Min.

Evelyn Salt, a trusted and loyal CIA operative, goes on the run when a Russian defector convinces her superiors that she's a double agent sent to assassinate the President of the United States. As the intense manhunt heats up, Salt uses her skills as a covert operative to elude capture and uncovers a secret so powerful it could change the course of world history. Angelina Jolie stars in this action-packed thriller that will keep you guessing until the end.

The Omega Man
| Year: 1971 | 98 Min.

Welcome to the future. Biological war has decimated life on Earth, Los Angeles is a windswept ghost town where Robert Neville tools his convertible through sunlit streets foraging for supplies. And makes damn sure he gets undercover before sundown, when other "inhabitants" emerge.

The Omega Man adapts Richard Matheson's novel I Am Legend into a high-impact, high-tension saga of a fate not far removed from reality. Charlton Heston is Neville, fending off attacks by The Family, sinister neopeople spawned by the plague. He also becomes a man with a mission after meeting Lisa (Rosalind Cash), another uninfected survivor – and guardian of some healthy children representing our species' hope.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2014, 05:15:25 PM »
I just got back from my walk. Was a really good one. Power-walked the entire thing. Got a good sweat going! :P

And in the "This Figures" category. Walked over to the library to see if there was any movies I wanted to borrow... get there... picked out 4 movies... heading to the front desk when I realized I forgot my wallet at home. I don't have my library card! Duh! Oh well... not like I don't have plenty to watch here! :P
Pete