Author Topic: I've Gone More High Tech  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
I've Gone More High Tech
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:30:05 AM »
I've gone more high tech.  A friend gave me a tablet for Christmas - I can't remember if I mentioned that here before or not.  Anyway, that pushed me to figure out WiFi..so now I have WiFi at home.

I got that hooked up last night.  It didn't take me that long.  So far it is working fine.  I even got my PS3 connected to it and I got the firmware or software or whatever updated.  I still need to check to see if the Blu-ray players will do that through WiFi or not.  I think the Wii will too..haven't tried it yet.  Something else to check on later. 

I got some games on the tablet...figured out how to get to a few sites. I've got a few few ebooks and started to read one of them. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: I've Gone More High Tech
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:25:30 AM »
I am not sure Wi-Fi still counts as high tech. :P Just kidding, it's great to have it, isn't it? Sitting on the bed with the tablet before sleep...

Anyway, don't go too happy on connecting everything, it will slow down the network. Of course, knowing that you can do it and how it would have to be dine is always nice. But in general, if you can use cable then that is the preferred method. (In my old apartment my PS3 was always connected via Wi-Fi and I am very glad to have it connected with a cable now.)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:21:43 AM »
The desktop is still with ethernet cable.  I didn't see any need to make that wireless.  I can stream some stuff through the PS3 from Amazon, so I got that figured out.  I found some BBC shows that I want to check out at some point on there.  I updated the software on the Wii..and that's all I've done.  I don't have a lot of ...gadget things.  I would have updated the software for my Blu-ray if it could that with WiFi, but it can't and I can't get an ethernet cable to it where it is...so that won't get updated. 

I did read a book on my tablet..that and playing games is really all I've done with it.  But it is nice. :)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
I got here on my tablet and seem to have figured out how to post from it.  :-)

I did read another book I found for free...and I have several more waiting.  So I'm having fun with it.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 07:48:37 PM »
I have amazon prime so I get a lot of books and things for free. I gave my mother my kindle fire so I'm always sending free/borrowed books to it - she loves it!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:08:39 PM »
I have Amazon Prime too.  I have probably 30 books on here from that.  There are a lot of shows and stuff I can watch through Prime too..I've watched some episodes of Little Britian so far.  I have more BBC shows on my list there.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »
I've gone more hi-tech as well.

I bought me a Media Player box for the TV. Unfortunately my DVD and BR player can only play (aside from their original use) DivX files, but not MP4 and MKV which have become more dominant in the last years.

Now I can watch my internet downl *cough* self-ripped files on my TV again.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 02:53:32 AM »
What did you get? A NAS with integrated media server? Something else?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:42:28 AM »
What did you get? A NAS with integrated media server? Something else?

Nah, it's a simple media box with internal hard drive and USB port. Totally suits my needs.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools