Author Topic: re-CAPTCHA: Did you know?  (Read 948 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
re-CAPTCHA: Did you know?
« on: November 21, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »
CAPTCHAs are images that try to determine if the user is an actual person or a bot.

I'm sure you've seen them while posting comments on different websites.

What I didn't know until now was that you don't need to enter both words correctly to pass the test.

In fact, you only need to enter the word that is already more readable.

The other more scrambled word comes from Google's book-scanning operation where pages weren't scanned properly.

When you enter the letters of the second word, Google uses that to teach its engine to decypher such mishaps better. So when n users all enter the same letters for the same image the Google engine can learn what that was supposed to mean.

In essence, to pass the above re-CAPTCHA image, it's totally sufficient to enter this:

wruigrfiu scatter
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

kahless

Re: re-CAPTCHA: Did you know?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »
Yes, that's quite interesting. I didn't know that until I read it here!

But what do you have to enter here:

:o  :devil:

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »
That must not be true everywhere becuase I have failed many CAPTCHAs by taking guesses on the scrambled word.

Thorsten, what's what makes the recycle-like arrows (top of the three icons) go great. Can figure out what you are looking at? Keep clicking until you find one that is easier to recognize.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

kahless

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 08:42:45 PM »
That must not be true everywhere becuase I have failed many CAPTCHAs by taking guesses on the scrambled word.

Thorsten, what's what makes the recycle-like arrows (top of the three icons) go great. Can figure out what you are looking at? Keep clicking until you find one that is easier to recognize.

Yes, that's true, but if you use a download tool (such as JDownloader) you can't change the CAPTCHAs.  :(