Author Topic: I hate it to get old :-(  (Read 1919 times)

kahless

I hate it to get old :-(
« on: November 06, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »
Until totay I never bothered about my health because I never had any problems. But this morning I was really scared. I woke up this morning with pain in my breast, swindle and dizziness. I tried to ignore those symptomes because I had an important date for leading a seminar in Cologne. But my wife stopped me to leave the house in this condition and called the ambulance. In the emergency room they checked my blood pressure. The result was 210/120  :baffled:

My doc told me today that I will have to take beta blocker for the rest of my life and if I don't this life will not last very long! So everybody outside there, please take any trouble concerning your cardiovascular system seriously and listen to your doc and wife  ;)

P.S. please forgive me some typos because I'm still at 180/100 despite of medication  :(

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: I hate it to get old :-(
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »
Sorry to hear that, but at least you listen to your wife and did the good thing (say the guy who haven't seen a doctor since at least 20 years...).

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »
You can't change your age or your family history, but they are only a couple of things that affect blood pressure.

It is important that you learn life style changes that can greatly reduce your pressure.

For example, most people's intake of sodium products greatly exceed the recommended daily allowance. It is hidden in almost all foods with different names and is a major contributing factor in elevating blood pressure.

Stress effects the blood pressure too. People think it's only anger or bad things will increase pressure but winning the lottery has the same effect.

Please check with your health care professional - they can help you learn ways that can greatly impact your life.

Hypertension is serious - it is often called "the silent killer". Thank goodness you went and got checked - your wife might very well have saved you from a heart attack, stroke or even death.

But, now that you are aware of the problem there are many things that you can do to lower it to acceptable levels.

kahless

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 08:33:58 PM »
Thanks, Kathy! I very much appreaciate your comment, because that's exactly what my doc told me today (exept for the lottery winning  :laugh:)

[...] It is important that you learn life style changes [...] <- I'm aware but this is the hard part...  :-\

Rogmeister

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 08:36:54 PM »
Good luck to you.  I have many health issues myself including diabetes and kidney disease.  I also have high blood pressure which I do take medication for.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:27:12 AM »
I know the feeling. The week before last christmas I wasn't feeling very well. Then on Dec 23rd we were on a christmas market and I had severe breathing issues. We went to the ER and they checked me out.

In the end they couldn't find anything serious but I was lying for 7 days in the hospital and since then I have to take blood pressure medicine and an asthma inhaler.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »
I hope you feel better soon.  It's good that you listened to your wife.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »
 :baffled:
Totally shocked to hear about your Health Issues.

Please get well (or at least "Better") soon.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »
Hope you get better as soon as possible.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 07:00:44 PM »
Wow! You're very lucky to have caught this before something major happened.   :thumbup:

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 08:40:59 PM »
Wow! You're very lucky to have caught this before something major happened.   :thumbup:
Yep. Always good to find the bright side in everything.

I hope you get the levels and down to feeling better soon. And you're right: it's nothing to be ignored or messed with.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 08:51:38 PM »
I hate getting old too! It's the only certainty in life, though, so we better arrange ourselves with it.

Had to attend a funeral last weekend, something that always reminds us of our own mortality, as well as that of others around us. :(

Hope you can get better quickly and it's great to see you caught it in time. Are you older than I imagined or how scared should I get...?

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 11:37:41 PM »
I hate getting old too!
Strange,
I always thought that everybody wants to get old.
It's just that nobody wants to be old.

Eommen

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »
@Thorsten (kahless): get well soon!

It is not about getting old, I am afraid. Heart conditions (and certainly some underlying causes) can be of all ages. Like frailty, apart from real old age frailty. So, you youngsters, attent to the signals of your body too!

The real thing I hate about getting old is you're not supposed to like somebody quite a bit younger than you  :P and vice versa. Or, on a completely different track, employers are not interested in you anymore despite you being qualified for a job. Or, feeling that you should retire from the field, your birthday says so, but politicians just decided you'll have to wait for your state pension 2 more years, creating a deep hole in your financial planning :stars:.  Or...

But on another way of thinking: the end is inevitable. Yes, avoid to hasten it coming so take take your medicine. But enjoy while it lasts  :cheers:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
The real thing I hate about getting old is you're not supposed to like somebody quite a bit younger than you 

In fact this is correct for all ages.

Imagine a 16-year old person telling he/she fell in love with a person 10 years older, quite normal, and acceptable.
Now imagine a 16-year old person telling he/she fell in love with a person 10 years younger.
Next Stop: Psychologist