Author Topic: Movie Poster Advice Please!  (Read 6000 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Movie Poster Advice Please!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 03:59:31 AM »
Well last night after I posted here I found the poster from the first Potter movie and ordered it. 

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
Which one have you got, Marie? Hope it's the proper originals by Drew Struzan. He's the genius responsible for the first couple and the Indiana Jones/Star Wars movies and has a lovely drawn style. But he retired (possibly under a cloud) and the studio became lazy using a photo montage for the rest (and replacing the originals used on the first two films). They do nothing for me when you consider the standard of Drew's. By not commissioning posters with similar style I seriously believe Hollywood is losing an art form.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 11:44:13 PM »
It looked like the poster I remember being out when the movie first came out.
Let me look...

Here's the one I'm getting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016D6UH2/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 12:03:31 AM »
Yeah, that looks like the one!  :clap: The modern cheap posters use Photoshopped figures and make horrible little errors like badly sized heads and they look in random directions on the worst. I think Drew may have done a Chamber of Secrets one too, but it seems rare.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
I don't collect myself, but is anyone here familiar with East European film posters, especially the Polish and Czech ones from the '60s and '70s?
Matthias

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »
Not really,

I only know that they were famous for having nothing to do with the advertised films.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »
Here's a link to some cool Polish posters:
http://wellmedicated.com/inspiration/50-incredible-film-posters-from-poland/

I received my "Hello Dolly" Australian daybill today, and it's beautiful. :clap:

I also ordered a Thai poster for Hammer's The Headless Horseman for just £4.99. :D

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
I only know that they were famous for having nothing to do with the advertised films.

I'ts more the advertising part they had nothing to do with. Despite being commissioned by the state, those posters stood on their own as independent works of art with a sometimes rather subtle connection to the movie. I pretty much grew up with this stuff and its later derivatives, which might be the reason I find most "regular" movie posters quite boring (to be polite).

cinemaposter.com is a pretty good (although not easily to navigate) database for Polish posters with valuable infos for collectors. terry-posters.com focuses on Czech posters, but they also have a subsection for Polish ones.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:43:12 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »
Polish posters are great. Empire did an article on them recently. Unless I'm going mad, they made it a puzzle leaving you to work out what the film was in each example. Not straightforward!

Matthias, you might appreciate Olly Moss's approach: http://ollymoss.com/galleries/movie-posters

His Empire contributions aren't there, though I found them on a photostream at Flickr and this is a particular favourite: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ollym/4673090288/in/photostream
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:57:17 PM by Jon »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32:39 AM »
A bit of lazy late night purchasing...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251018945269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Spanish poster for Tiger Joe. I have to admit, I have never seen this movie, but it's a spot on image for 80's action and I'm a fan of the director, Antonio Margheriti. That was enough for me considering it was a cheap one. ;D

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »
Well, I'm glad that Slavers poster was cheap. Looks great and was in very good condition until I got my hands on it. Went to roll it up and put it back in the tube not realising I had accidentally stood on one end. Heard and almighty tear and yep, a nice rip right down the middle for about 1/3 of the length. Poop. :-[

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 05:40:53 AM »
My Harry Potter poster came today.   ;D  I wasn't expecting it this soon.

I also ordered a poster for The Muppets..it came today too.

Both of them came from the same seller through Amazon..may have to look for others from them.  They are in wonderful shape and came in a sturdy cardboard tube.  Much better than how the only other posters I've ordered have come. 

I looked at them and I am so glad I got the Harry Potter one.  I love it.  It is bigger than the Muppets poster...I'm thinking it is bigger than some of my other posters too.  I definitely want to get a frame for it even though I really don't have a place to hang it.  But it will be more protected framed.  I'm so happy with it.  :)

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »
You might like a browse through this list I've found: http://conancompletist.com/darkofthesun/McCarthy_the_list.html

I've been trying some random Googling to uncover the artist of those Once Upon A Time In The West images I was talking about the other day and came across that link. Well, a sub-page really. The main site is just Conan stuff and doesn't suggest any obvious relation to Frank McCarthy and his posters, but still, there it is! I've emailed them to see what they know, but I suspect McCarthy is the man responsible. Some of his other work is stunning as well, just look at the one for Where Eagles Dare.

Well I've had a very helpful reply from Cyrille, a Frenchman who is responsible for the list of McCarthy work on that site. He confirmed that the images of the the three men with the rifles and the one of the shoot-out on the train are both by McCarthy, but he can't be sure that the one on the cover of the new German DVD is as well. It is more likely that is processed from the film to look like a painting (and I do seem to remember the moment, whereas the other posters are interpretations.

He sent me a link to the best version of the source used for the English DVD cover. A French re-release poster and it is pretty good. I might track it down: http://www.cinemotions.com/data/films/0173/77/1/affiche-Il-etait-une-fois-dans-l-Ouest-C-era-una-volta-il-West-1968-3.jpg

Cyrille continues to research Frank McCarthy and has been told he may have painted at least eight pieces of work just for Once Upon A Time In The West!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 04:39:09 AM »
I got a Doctor Who poster.  It is the painting from the episode The Big Bang that Van Gough did.  The poster was really cheap...even with shipping it was barely $4.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 07:19:39 AM »
In my living room I have the three Star Wars posters on three walls. Not the original theatrical ones though, but more from the era of the 1997s special editions.

In my bedroom I have two Simpsons posters. One with Bart and "Eat My Shorts!" and one with Homer as Munch's Scream.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools