Author Topic: Movie Poster Advice Please!  (Read 6001 times)

samuelrichardscott

Movie Poster Advice Please!
« on: April 08, 2012, 11:47:11 PM »
I've been looking at starting a small poster collection for myself and was thinking about starting with this 1978 poster for Slavers:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLAVERS-UK-Quad-Poster-1978-RON-ELY-RAY-MILLAND-/250875489975?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item3a69582eb7

My main question is that I'm not keen on the folds, but browsing all the UK posters, all the sellers seem to say that it was pre-folded by distributor. Does that mean it is normal for these to be folded?

Also can anybody tell me more about the Japanese Chirashi style posters? Some of them look pretty sweet!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:49:35 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Poster Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:15:45 AM »
Take it for what it's worth as it isn't exactly the same bussiness.

In the nineties when my father had his video store the poster never came folded but rolled in a cardboard tube. As I said different bussiness but video club poster and movie theatre poster size weren't that different.  

edit : As I tought not every poster were folded if any was. But you got what you pay for, check the price difference when a poster is in perfect condition or another one more affordable :whistle:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:27:40 AM by Jimmy »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:15:25 AM »
Thanks for the links Jimmy...

In his auctions he states:
Finding rolled/never folded one sheets for most titles prior to the mid 1980's is EXTREMELY difficult! Most collectors will pay a HUGE premium for a rolled one sheet compared to a folded one in the same condition.

Please be advised that over 95% of all Original Movie Posters printed before the mid 1980's were issued FOLDED. This is NOT considered a defect. They were shipped to theaters this way. Vintage rolled posters do exist, however they are extremely rare. We can have any folded poster Linen Backed which will make the fold lines virtually disappear.

The other one I was looking at was this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Women-Love-Original-US-1-Sheet-Film-Poster-Ken-Russell-DH-Lawrence-Alan-Bates-/320884737247?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item4ab63884df

Of course, minor edge damage isn't much of a problem and kind of expected as is a minor tear. I researched it quite a lot overnight and found a lot of info.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »
Bah, I just don't know what to go for first. So so so so many to choose from.

I absolutely love this one (and I bet Jimmy does too):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emanuelle-and-Last-Cannibals-ORIGINAL-RARE-POSTER-/280842128582?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item41637eccc6

But I want to stick to the £10-20 mark for my first few so I can figure out exactly what I am looking for.

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 03:12:34 PM »
You might like a browse through this list I've found: http://conancompletist.com/darkofthesun/McCarthy_the_list.html

I've been trying some random Googling to uncover the artist of those Once Upon A Time In The West images I was talking about the other day and came across that link. Well, a sub-page really. The main site is just Conan stuff and doesn't suggest any obvious relation to Frank McCarthy and his posters, but still, there it is! I've emailed them to see what they know, but I suspect McCarthy is the man responsible. Some of his other work is stunning as well, just look at the one for Where Eagles Dare.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
Some very nice stuff there Jon, thanks. I did find this forum and have been looking through it...
http://stylec.yuku.com/forums/63#.T4LvZtn16cU

Reasonably helpful stuff in there when you go through it.

samuelrichardscott

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »
I dare you to look at Mondo. They commission new posters of both modern and classic films. There is some stunning work in there, but when they announce a new one, it sells out in under 10 minutes! General opinion is that they get "flipped" onto Ebay. Shame, and the price shoots up. Search Ebay for Mondo though and I guarantee you'll want one! Google it and you'll find the home site.

I particularly like Oly Moss's work. He regularly appears in Empire and he comes up with very clever concepts. He occasionally appears on Mondo.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
I dare you to look at Mondo. They commission new posters of both modern and classic films. There is some stunning work in there, but when they announce a new one, it sells out in under 10 minutes! General opinion is that they get "flipped" onto Ebay. Shame, and the price shoots up. Search Ebay for Mondo though and I guarantee you'll want one! Google it and you'll find the home site.

I particularly like Oly Moss's work. He regularly appears in Empire and he comes up with very clever concepts. He occasionally appears on Mondo.

I've seen a few listed of both Mondo and Murs, all for about £1000. Haven't seen any attract actual bids yet though. Most I have seen one sell for today as I keenly look on is £655.48 for a Dr Who Daleks Invasion Earth 2150AD UK Quad from 1968. Quite a few go for the £100 mark, but most seem to be £15-20. The buy it now prices all seem massively overpriced compared to what the posters are getting in the actual auctions.

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
Hmmm, might have to have a closer look myself. I would have liked this one: http://inthemouthofdorkness.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/dork-art-mondo-wood-for-true-grit.html   :-X

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 09:40:07 PM »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:55 PM »
You might want to contact the companies that put out the film posters you are interested in. They often get rid of things and will let you know of upcoming sales or auctions.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 01:37:02 AM »
Same seller has this coming up also, but it's already at £82
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRANKENSTEIN-MUST-DESTROYED-D-B-QUAD-POSTER-PETER-CUSHING-HAMMER-HORROR-/230771540226?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D230771510404%252B230771510404%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7604074351090632364

I put in a spur of the moment, what the hell was I thinking bid of £130 on this... It went for £180 odd. :laugh:

Ended up purchasing UK Quads of "Slavers" (1978) (£6 delivered) and "Heavy Metal" (1981) (£14.49 delivered) as my first two purchases...

Thanks for all the help people... What posters have others got? I have plans now to purchase a few, but it could get expensive fast. Thankfully, the genre films I like seem to be reasonably priced.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:53:00 AM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 03:13:17 AM »
I just have some posters from more recent movies...I think the oldest one I have is for Return of the King. 
I have some Harry Potter posters...Alice in Wonderland - with Johnny Depp - a few for different Pirates of the Caribbean movies.  Star Wars...not one of the original posters.  I can't remember what else now..that may be about it.

I bought all mine rolled.  I ordered a few once..the edges were a little bent. 

There are more I want..I'd love to get the posters for the first Potter movies.  I only have ones for the last few...and none for Death Hallows Part 2.  I couldn't find those anywhere. 

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
Not a genre I was originally even thinking of grabbing a poster from, but I really liked this one. Poster #3 in my new mini-collection is a Australian Daybill for "Hello Dolly" (1969)  :dance:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-MOVIE-POSTER-STREISAND-HELLO-DOLLY-/290692402800?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item43ae9e0e70&autorefresh=true&autorefresh=true
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:24:04 PM by samuelrichardscott »