Author Topic: Region free player  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Region free player
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:21:13 AM »
I have a lot of PAL DVDs and didn't realize my blue-ray player did not play them.

I need to get a new one and I'm looking for suggestions. Amazon has this one - what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/New-Pioneer-DV-420K-Upconverting/dp/B002CO6GUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330823818&sr=8-1

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Region free player
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:02:01 AM »
Look costly to me... Why not this one instead? It isn't the model I owned previously, but I was always satisfied with the Phillips brand and it is 30$ and some cents lesser.

One of the reviewer seems to say the wrong code was included in his box, so here a link for the good code if you choose this one.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:19:21 AM »
Thanks Jimmy. I just got the UK version of Shameless in the mail today and I'm impatient to watch it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:30:36 AM »
You're welcome :thumbup:
Always happy when I got a chance to help you ;D

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »
I got my package in the mail today and I think I didn't request the right kind of player. Although the player I got is region free and HD, what I need it a region free Blu-ray player.

Suggestions?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 11:57:51 PM »
Didn't help that you list a DVD player in your first post :laugh:

Sorry can't help you on this... but this store near Chicago had a lot of them

important : Some of them are only region free DVD player but region restricted on blue, take the time to read carefully
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:00:31 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:58 AM »
It helps to request the right thing doesn't it?!  :laugh:

I thought about returning it but my friend Mark really needs a new DVD player so I'm just going to give it to him. He was so happy he's already made me dinner tonight!  :P

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 12:12:25 AM »
At least now I point you to the right thing :laugh:
Never did bussiness with them but I know the store was recommanded by Xploited cinema for the region free reader.

He was so happy he's already made me dinner tonight!  :P
Me I would bring you to a nice restaurant and a hockey game (or a minor league baseball game later, the Bisons are always at Buffalo, right?)

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 01:00:53 AM »
Kathy, I know Jimmy has given you good advice and I hope the player works out to be reliable, but the general consensus is that region free Blu-Ray is not practical, certainly not to the same level of acceptance that multi-region DVD enjoys.

I'm not trying to tell you not to get one if you can, but I just want you to know why they are as rare as rocking horse shit! :P In the UK, it's virtually unknown.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 01:09:12 AM »
It's because Sony is really strict on the licencing. But you can modify them or get some model made in China as they doesn't seem to care about the manufacturing restriction from Sony.

Of course the best way to go is to get a computer BR driver and buy AnyDVD HD but it is quite costly...

Just take my reader by exemple. He isn't region free per se, but became a region B reader or a region C reader when I change the code. For all my DVD reader it was a one time operation where the reader became region 0 not a region 2 or region 3 reader. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:15:44 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 09:10:29 AM »
Maybe I'm not using the correct terms. What I want is a blu-ray player that has the capacity of playing region 2 DVDs. I don't like the idea of having multiple player/adapters etc. I want 1 machine to do it all.

I do not want to do anything that is illegal but there surely must be something available that does what I want.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
First you have to understand that there are two worlds out there. The world of DVDs and the world of Blu-rays.

And these worlds look differently.

This is the DVD world:

And this is the Blu-ray world:

In the DVD world, Japan is region 2. In the Blu-ray world, Japan is region A.

To get a player that can play all DVD regions is not that hard (at least in Europe). To get a player that can play all Blu-ray regions is a little bit trickier.

So just for clarification: Do you want to play DVDs from region 2 or Blu-rays from region B?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 09:08:49 PM »
Maybe I'm not using the correct terms. What I want is a blu-ray player that has the capacity of playing region 2 DVDs.
Kathy the store link I gave you yesterday cover that... By example this one do what you want, but why not go all the way and get a region free BR reader at the same occasion :shrug:

I do not want to do anything that is illegal but there surely must be something available that does what I want.
Region free Blu-Ray reader aren't illegal just hard to find because of the Sony's manufacturing limitation (they own the format)... last time I check Sony wasn't a country

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 12:02:19 AM »
I have a mental block when it comes to electronic stuff.  :bag:

Karsten, I have a bunch of blu-rays and region 2 DVDs. I don't have any region 2 blu-rays. But, I don't want to have a blu-ray player and a separate region 2 player - too much stuff.

Jimmy, I haven't had a chance to really read the links you sent. I'm in the middle of my 4 day 12 hour shifts at work. I'm also bird and dog sitting this week for a friend who's on vacation until tomorrow.

I don't know why things need to be so complicated. I'm sure someone could get rich accommodating people like me who want things simple.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 01:41:53 AM »
I have a mental block when it comes to electronic stuff.  :bag:
You aren't that bad... My father brings me with him for years at the ATM because he was unable to understand it  :whistle:

I sure don't imagine him using a computer, programming a VHS or setting an HD television :laugh: