Author Topic: Whatcha doin' for a living?  (Read 2401 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Whatcha doin' for a living?
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
Just out of curiosity: What are doing from 9 to 5?

I am a software architect / developer. For seven years I've been a member of a team that writes a software in which you can write other software. ;)

This software is called TIA Portal* (TIA = Totally Integrated Automation) and the users of this software are engineers who in turn write software to operate manufacturing plants.

Here's a rather boring but at least short video of what the software looks like:

http://www.industry.siemens.com/topics/global/en/tia-portal/controller-sw-tia-portal/simatic-step7-basic-v11/screencasts/Pages/portal-project-views.aspx

If everything goes well, we (i.e. Siemens) will release a new major version in fall.

*The old version of this software was called STEP 7 but despite looking like an english word ("step") it actually stood for "STeuerungen Einfach Programmieren" (controllers easily programmed) and had to make way for a more international (i.e. english ;)) name.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Mustrum_Ridcully

Re: Whatcha doin' for a living?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
I'm (nowadays) a self-employed IT-Tech.
Which translates to "Girl Friday of computer affairs"
I'm doing everything from Hardware configuration and sale to support and repair.

Once upon a time I studied law (finished with which now would translate as "Master" (1. Staatsexamen)), then decided that this wasn't quite my business and made an abrupt change -> sold kitchens. Very soon someone noticed my affection for those planning aides (Computers) and that I was able to get them up and running (again) faster than most of the professional IT-Techs, next step was that I didn't sell too many kitchens anymore because I was mostly busy helping the other chain stores with their computer and IT-security problems.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
Always worked in IT support, one way or another, but last year took the opportunity to be a team leader and manage the engineers instead. IT support is good if you're willing to retrain all the damn time, which I'm not.  :P

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »
I'm a tax preparer..this is my 13th tax season.  And I've started doing some payroll and bookkeeping stuff too since the local offices are now franchises instead of company owned.  I'll be back taking more classes over the summer and into the fall..we have to take more classes every year to keep up with things.  My company always has required that, but now the IRS is starting to require it too.  All tax preparers will have to pass a competency test with the IRS by the end of 2013 to be able to keep doing taxes. 
I've been considering trying to take the tests with the IRS to become an Enrolled Agent.  The franchise owner has told me a few times she things I should do that.  Enrolled Agents can actually go and deal with the IRS for people during audits.  I'm not completely sure I want to do the audit representation, but I would get paid more..and I wouldn't have to take whatever other tests the IRS comes up with.  So.  Maybe.

BigTim

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »
I started off being a Singing Butcher in Houston, Texas but was a Volunteer Firefighter from the age of 16.  At 18 after graduating I became a Firefighter/Paramedic and did that until I was injured in 2001.  I let my certification lapse in 2004 and took on Repairing Computers.  I own my own company TLC Computer's now and do software and hardware upgrades and troubleshooting. 

Big Tim

kahless

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »
I'm a travel agent. Since 1989 I'm working for a Norwegian shipping company. I had different jobs there, e.g. sales, product management and at last global and local IT support. Since our IT was outsourced to Norwegian and local service providers last year, I'm back in sales, responsible for taking care of foreign agencies. And inofficial IT support for our local office  ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:01:49 PM by kahless »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
I own a small marketing company, a small direct sales company and a couple of small liquidation shops in Cumbria, England and because of the economy and the fact business is a little slow (they are getting by, but has been much better in previous years), for the last two years I have also been working offshore. A little bit of everything really.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:35:58 PM »
I'm a travel agent. Since 1989 I'm working for a Norwegian shipping company.

Hurtigruten?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

kahless

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »

Hurtigruten?

That's correct!  ;D

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:51:42 PM »

Hurtigruten?

That's correct!  ;D

Small world. In 2002 & 2003 my first major project was a CRM (customer relationship management) solution called Emerald for NSA Hamburg. We sold it together with our travel backend solution Ocean.
Karsten

kahless

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »

Hurtigruten?

That's correct!  ;D

Small world. In 2002 & 2003 my first major project was a CRM (customer relationship management) solution called Emerald for NSA Hamburg. We sold it together with our travel backend solution Ocean.

Yes, "NSA" was our previous company name for our Hamburg office. Emerald/Ocean??? That was my world!!! We have replaced OCEAN  but we still have Emerald!!! My job was/is to test current releases! So we both know ISO software!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:58:00 PM by kahless »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »
Karsten

hal9g

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 03:31:18 AM »
Retired from IT industry.  Last job was with Unisys as manager of the data center at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

I do whatever I want to from 9 to 5 (and from 5 to 9)!

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 03:47:36 AM »
I sell people used DVDs

... and video games, books, cds, comic books, RPGs, and the occasional action figure

also, we deal in Magic the Gathering (both used and new there)

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 06:52:05 AM »
I'm a high priced hooker.  :laugh:

I think everyone knows what I do. If not, I'm a registered nurse who's specialty was always intensive care, primarily in the cardiac/telemetry unit.

But, for the last year and a half I've been doing home care for a police officer paralyzed in the line of duty.

Since I work the night shift though, most of what I do from 9 to 5 is sleep!