Author Topic: Saving money is so sweet  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Saving money is so sweet
« on: January 20, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »
Last Thursday, my wife was doing a load of laundry when she yelled...Something bad's happening. I went into the laundry room and I could smell burnt electronics. The washer was still working, but I shut it down immediately. I tried to restart it, but no luck. Now, my wife is panicking because we couldn't really deal with having to buy a new washer. That night, after she went to bed, I went online to see if there was anything that I could do to fix it. After doing a complete brake job on my car last spring, and feeling confident in my abilities, I figured why not? After some surfing, I found out that my Maytag Neptune had been recalled due to a faulty motor control board. Unfortunately, this recall ended a few years ago. Our washer was no longer under warranty, but there was a motor conversion kit available to fix the problem. Replacing a motor and the electronic control board on a washer seemed kind of beyond my abilities, but I was told by a repair person on ApplianceBlog.com, that it was a simple plug and play type repair. Well, he was right, it took me less than an hour to fix, and now I don't have to buy a new washer.

There is something so satisfying about fixing something complex on your own and saving money in the process. If I had to replace the washer, it would have cost me at least $700. For less than $200, I have a new motor and new electronics that should give me another 5 -7 years on this washer, which I bought in 2001. Sweet!

Mustrum_Ridcully

Re: Saving money is so sweet
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »
Go tell your wife that you want to spend the saved 500 bucks on more BluRays!

.... and don't forget to charge her $ 200,- for the repair.  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 03:55:40 AM »
That's good that you were able to fix it.

BigTim

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
.... and don't forget to charge her $ 200,- for the repair.  :laugh:

That absolutely cracked me up ;)...

Seriously! though... congrats.  I'm very blessed, I have 3 electricians in the family who do Major Line High Power to Small Appliance to even Heating and Air Conditioning Work and so have always had help with similar problems.  I fix the computers and do the software they do everything else.  You are smart and resourceful my friend.. stand tall and be proud!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

Big Tim

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 05:24:34 PM »
It's amazing how easy something is once you know how to do it.  :laugh:

But seriously, I'm really excited for you. Your turned a very stressful situation completely around.

You saved a ton of money, extended the life of your washer, saved the environment and learned something new in the process. What a great thing.  :cheers: