Author Topic: Simple question about Romney (not really politic... at least I think)  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Simple question about Romney (not really politic... at least I think)
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »
Why exactly is the media - including GOP home channel Fox News - constantly ignoring Ron Paul?
Maybe because of this...

"Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal."

or this

"I miss the closet. Homosexuals, not to speak of the rest of society, were far better off when social pressure forced them to hide their activities."

or maybe

because he called Martin Luther King Jr. a pedophile

or this about the MLK holliday

"Boy, it sure burns me to have a national holiday for that pro-communist philanderer, Martin Luther King. I voted against this outrage time and time again as a Congressman. What an infamy that Ronald Reagan approved it! We can thank him for our annual Hate Whitey Day."

or for this poor judgement for a Presidential candidate

Ron Paul Walks Out Of A CNN Interview

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 12:57:48 AM »
When I was young (oh my god I've turned into my grandfather  :stars:) it seemed that politics and politicians were civil and accomplished more. Now it seems there is no place civility and teamwork.

I'm know that others, much more knowledgeable, might disagree, but I think there are two major factors that has caused a disintegration of the political process: money and the availability of 24/7 news.

Money is easy to understand. Greed and selfishness has always played a role in why people do the wrong things. The astronomical amounts of cash that flows in and out of the political arena has brought out the worse in many.

Another problem is that it seems one must be rich in order to get elected. Then, the focus of most polititions seems to be to continue raising capital in order to stay in office.

It is impossible for multi millionaires can possibly understand the struggles of the average American. The inability to relate to the people you are supposed to be serving and the empathy needed to do so has been lost.

24/7 news is another issue that has turned the political arena into a circus.

The issues are no longer important. The news, with their 30 second sound bites, are only interested in reporting on sex, scandals, outrageous behavior etc.

"Real" reporting is obsolete. Reporters are supposed to be impartial - not any more. Can one imagine Walter Chronkite or Peter Jennings shouting at one another trying to get the last word in?

Reality show mentality has creeped into the once dignified field of reporting. Honesty, truth, compassion, integrity - the important values that can have a positive impact have been lost.

Money and greed now impact the news as well. If one is rich enough you can even buy a television channel. This way you can report whatever you want - truth or facts be damned.

Working together to make things better. Treating each other with respect. Active listening. The things that are needed to move in a positive direction no longer exist in politics.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 02:02:30 AM »
Another problem is that it seems one must be rich in order to get elected.
This is something I have always find weird in american politic. Here anyone can try to be elected, money isn't an issue (at least in the Quebec system). Here it's illegal for a non-person entity (a company or a group of interest) to do financial contribution to a party or a candidate and even the maximum ammount a person can contribute is reglemented. So pretty much everybody are equals in theory...

Another cause of this I think is the comedian doing political show. Personally I have nothing against that per se, but I find it shocking that some people take those as their only source of information (or think it is anything more than a funny thing).

24/7 news is a factor but it depends of how the network works. I ain't familliar with the american one (I only have CNN and most of the time it seems to be partisan analysis more than news reporting when I check), but I can say that our french network (RDI, not LCN that is the Walmart of the news) are quite serious and neutral.

hal9g

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 04:12:25 AM »
Not one of the Republican candidates has a snowballs chance in hell of beating him in November. Romney is definitely a Kerry clone and Newt is a Nazi. The rest of the field has no charisma at all. When all is said and done, Obama will trump up his killing of Bin Laden and the safety factor, and he'll rip Romney to shreds in a debate.

If this is true, and it's entirely possible, then this country will not survive until the next election in 2016.  There is no way we can continue to add $1T+ dollars to the national debt every year for the next 5 years.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming this on anyone in particular, just that it is not going to change if Obama stays in office.  Not that there's any guarantee that it would change if a Republican gets elected either.  They are essentially all the same....selling us down the river!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 04:35:19 AM »
There is no way we can continue to add $1T+ dollars to the national debt every year for the next 5 years.
Wich is why I don't understand the taxes aversion that some have :shrug:
Sure taxes aren't fun (as a French Canadian I sure know it) but it's imposible for a country to balance its budget without income. Kind of like a person who don't work, don't search a source of revenue and just cut his/her spending... it is a direct road to a personal bankruptcy.

No comment needed, I know it's a touchy subject for some and I don't want to start a political storm :(

hal9g

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 05:02:11 AM »
Because lack of taxes is not the problem!  Out of control spending IS!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »
Because lack of taxes is not the problem!  Out of control spending IS!

And this is why, and I've been saying it for over thirty years now, we need a constitutional amendment giving the President a line item veto. All these pork barrel projects added to bills to buy votes, could be vetoed by the president and the remaining parts of the bill would become law.

hal9g

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 04:54:04 AM »
Not to mention a flat tax and term limits!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 06:15:08 AM »
While we're on the subject. Why exactly is the media - including GOP home channel Fox News - constantly ignoring Ron Paul?
Maybe they confuse him with Ru Paul...? :hysterical: