Author Topic: Simple question about Romney (not really politic... at least I think)  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
I don't want to go political, but I must ask a question about something I just heard here on the news.

Why the fact that Mitt Romney speaks french is a problem and why he is attack by some other Republican candidate for that?

I don't know but that seems to me an advantage to have a certain culture when you want to become the Head Chief of a country :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:00:36 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Simple question about Romney (not really politic... at least I think)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »
***OFF TOPIC***

I can't even speak rationally about Romney. He is not only not fit to be president, I think he should be in prison.

What kind of person feels it is appropriate to put their dog in a crate, attach it to the top of the car and leave them there for a 12 hour drive at speeds of up to 60 miles an hour?

The poor animal was so terrified he suffered diarrhea that ran down the back windshield. The Romney children told their dad about the poor dog and his distress.

So, how did Romney react to his pet's suffering? Did he realize how cruel he was? Did he stop the car, clean up the poor dog and bring him INTO the car for comfort?

No.

Fox News, which is known to be a right-wing news program, even has a problem with Romney's response to his animal's plight.

"Here's how the Globe described what Romney then did:

“As the rest of the boys joined in the howls of disgust, Romney coolly pulled off the highway and into a service station. There he borrowed a hose, washed down Seamus and the car, then hopped back onto the highway. It was a tiny preview of a trait he would grow famous for in business: emotion-free crisis management.”"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/13/romneys-dog-on-car-roof-story-makes-him-unfit-to-be-president/#ixzz1jNnZRAWT

Or, just google for more on this story.

I don't usually get political - I've come to feel that politicians, irregardless of party, for many reasons do not have the interests of the average person in mind.

But, anyone who could do to a beloved pet what Romney has admittedly done to his, is immoral and criminal. Not only does he not believe he did anything wrong, he has actually said the dog liked to be treated this way. WHAT???

Animal cruelly, and I believe this to be the case here, is generally viewed by medical experts as being abnormal, deviant and consistant with mental illness.

Romney is a cruel human being who doesn't know right from wrong. I don't want anyone like him representing me.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:57:32 AM »
Kathy I think it's the first time I see you angry :hmmmm:
Sorry didn't want to :(

But why the french speaking part is a big deal? I've heard about that but not the dog thingy and the latter look way worst to me :shrug:

I don't want to go political, but I just don't understand why being cultivated is a no-no for some :shrug:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:05:37 AM »
“As the rest of the boys joined in the howls of disgust, Romney coolly pulled off the highway and into a service station. There he borrowed a hose, washed down Seamus and the car, then hopped back onto the highway. It was a tiny preview of a trait he would grow famous for in business: emotion-free crisis management.”"
They forgot to add "of self-induced crises"

Hell, if this story is only halfway correct and this guy becomes PotUS ... May God help us all

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »
I must admit - when I hear the name Romney I get angry. I don't understand how this person is even considered for the highest office in this country simply based on what he did. What bothers me the most is, outside of the internet, the lack of reporting of this story.

But, it's me that should apologize Jimmy, It wasn't my intent to hijack your thread but animals are important to me and I reacted. I'm sorry.

Back on point - I do agree with you. I read somewhere a while back that the average intelligence is that of a third grade student. I thinki that might have a bit to do with it. No one likes to feel inferior to someone.

Or, it might just be that anything "foreign" causes some people to react in a negative way.

For me, I'm just plain jealous. I love the way it sounds when people speak in a different language. I wish that I had learned some when I was young. It's too late and too hard for me now.

I am determined that this won't happen to my eldest niece's baby. He won't be here until late March and I've already bought him DVDs to teach him Spanish, Chinese and sign language.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:42:24 AM »
I hadn't heard anything about people being bothered by him speaking French.  I've heard that some have a problem with him being a Mormon.  At least I think he's the one that's a Mormon.

I just heard a little about the dog incident the other day.  That's horrible that he would do that.  Someone should do the same thing to him.  Jerk.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:17:37 AM »
I haven't heard that Rommney (Mitt btw, not Mitch) was attacked for being able to speak French. But I have been watching The Daily Show With Jon Stewart for months now and the GOP primaries seem to be a lot of fun - at least from a comedian's point of view.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »
It's probably because we are french speakers here that it was reported...

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
I don't think it was because he spoke French, as it's more of a comparison, linking him to the liberal politics of John Kerry.

hal9g

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »
I don't think it was because he spoke French, as it's more of a comparison, linking him to the liberal politics of John Kerry.

^This.

It really has nothing to do with being able to speak French, per se.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »
Thanks to you two :thumbup:

Here it was just reported in the news with the "he speaks french" angle, wich is the reason why I didn't understand why it was a problem...

I know american politics can be a dirty game sometimes, but this just made me do :shrug: and  ???

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »
I don't want this to get overly political and certainly not volatile, especially as being safely tucked away in the UK, most of this is flying way above my head anyway, but one thing has intrigued me.

In a nutshell, how do things lie over your way? When Obama was up and coming the media presented him as a Messiah, and while it's impossible for anyone to live up to such expectations, I like him and some of the stuff I hear him come out with makes sense to me. I put a lot of stock in image as well. Shallow, it may be, but Obama presents himself well. I think so anyway. His UK visit was excellent PR.

Just as the media are willing to build someone up too much, they are even more willing to bring them down and it seemed to me that as soon as he was elected, the mood changed to over-the-top scrutiny. It seemed like he was being blamed for everything that had and could go wrong.

But now there is talk of the elections and if I read between the lines, the truth appears to be that Obama is doing a decent job under tough conditions and part of the reason I say that is because all the Republican waffle seems to make them out to be a bunch of nutters who couldn't find their own arse with both hands! Obama certainly isn't wearing a target like Bush seemed to do and it may be just a case that the papers have ran out of dirt. Even if he isn't any good, he hasn't gone out of his way to screw up like his predecessor it seems.

Again, doesn't matter to me and it's media coverage that got me scratching my head in the first place. I'm just interested to know what it's like in the real world.

Here, every time David Cameron opens his gob, someone tries to punch him and the accusation he wasn't even elected is getting old (we have a hung Government between two parties). But the elephant in the room is probably saying, he isn't as bad as Gordon Brown, and actually, he seems to know what he's doing considering he inherited one very big shitty mess. Add to that, Labour have imploded so there is a feeling of apathy. There's no-one strong enough to oppose Cameron, so we'd better just let him get on with it. I wonder if Obama is enjoying a similar position.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »
Not one of the Republican candidates has a snowballs chance in hell of beating him in November. Romney is definitely a Kerry clone and Newt is a Nazi. The rest of the field has no charisma at all. When all is said and done, Obama will trump up his killing of Bin Laden and the safety factor, and he'll rip Romney to shreds in a debate.

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »
Now that's a nutshell!  :laugh: Thanks, Antares. But is that a good thing? How's the realistic perception of Obama?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 10:23:33 PM »
While we're on the subject. Why exactly is the media - including GOP home channel Fox News - constantly ignoring Ron Paul?

I've seen polls where Paul came in second and the news caster was like this: "We have Romney with (all numbers invented) 23% on first, then Cain on third with 9%, followed by Bachmann with 7%. The big question is: When will Christy announce his candidacy?"

I could understand if his standpoint isn't well recieved but they treat him like he isn't there - at all?!?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools