Author Topic: Prometheus (2012)  (Read 3012 times)

samuelrichardscott

Prometheus (2012)
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »
Anyone else looking forward to Ridley Scott's project that is in development?

Ridley Scott:
The (space) journey, metaphorically, is about a challenge to the gods… NASA and the Vatican agree that is almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way.  That’s what we’re looking at (in the film), at some of Erich von Däniken’s ideas of how did we humans come about.

Official Synopsis:
Earth. Year 2058.

Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by a advanced alien race (space jockeys). These “Alien Gods” also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God’s home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and his crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their “children”, their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it’s not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the “bio-source code” to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods’ power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to “clean up” worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What’s left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission. Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.

Actors rumoured to have joined the cast are Charlize Theron, Guy Pearce, Noomi Rapace, Logan-Marshall Green, Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Prometheus (2012)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:33:19 AM »
Is this the thing that was originally planned to be an Lien prequel....? Not shooting yet...? :headscratch:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 03:13:12 AM »

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 03:37:46 AM »
Is this the thing that was originally planned to be an Lien prequel....? Not shooting yet...? :headscratch:

I've lost track. I thought they were shooting, but this Alien thing is confusing! I believe the current idea is that it definitely isn't a prequel, but an independent story set within the Alien universe/time line. Could mean bloody anything.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 02:08:21 AM »
Rafe Spall:
[Ridley Scott] directed the first Alien, and this is… I’ve been sent an e-mail about what I’m allowed to say and what I’m not allowed to say and I haven’t read the e-mail. (laughs). It’s out next June, and it’s part of the Alien franchise. I’m in it, and Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender. I think fans of the franchise will love it. Alien is one of the best films ever made, and it’s a real buzz to be in a space suit on an ‘Alien’ set with Ridley Scott coming and speaking to you. It’s incredible. That’s why I wanted to be an actor, to be in a space suit on an ‘Alien’ set.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 05:27:17 AM »
The first teaser has been released and looks quite good to me.

While I remember them trying to tell us otherwise, this is clearly firmly placed in the Alien universe, although only one creature is shown very briefly. The way the title slowly emerges breathes Alien all the way through and we see
(click to show/hide)

So is it just in the universe or somewhat of a prequel after all...? :hmmmm:

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 11:51:05 PM »
I think this trailer is superb. I can't bloody wait! Alien is one of my properly favourite films. Like top 3. And while I can normally make a reasonable distinction between my favourite films and where they realistically sit in cinema history (just because you like it, doesn't make it the very best of the best!), I make an exception for Alien. If it were possible to make such a list properly, all things considered it should be in the top ten, if not top five films of all time.

Prometheus looks like it has the spirit and style of the peerless original so I'm loving it so far. I'm bound to be disappointed, but I'm prepared!

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 12:54:46 AM »
Trailer:

TV Spot #2 released today:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 06:31:20 AM »
I have tickets for Wednesday :yahoo:

Very much looking forward, except for that 3D angle, but I thought IMAX should be better than smaller screen in 2D :hmmmm:

I watched Alien yesterday just to see those images again that will be referenced.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 08:16:20 AM »
I saw it Friday and loved it. 
Of course, I had only watched Alien for the first time the night before, so I didn't have years of expectations built up.  I did see definite connections to things in Alien.  I've got to get caught up on reviews here...hopefully I'll manage that soon.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »
I bought this a while back and finally got around to watching it - I wish I had bought the bare bones version.

I'm afraid I was very disappointed. Although there were some good effects, for the most part I found it too long and boring.  :tomato:

Although it tries, this film doesn't hold a candle to Alien. In fact he most enjoyable parts for me were the few references it made to the original.

I found the story to be underdeveloped, none of characters were that interesting and a lot of the situations were just not believable. The ending actually made me roll my eyes because it was totally unrealistic.

Another thing, I can't stand is when the movie is too dark. I mean literally - too dark. I want to clearly see things and flashlights just don't cut it.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:26:36 PM by Kathy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 05:31:15 AM »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »
 :laugh: