Author Topic: Death Note  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Death Note
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:36:15 PM »
Anybody here who knows both the manga and the live-action movies of "Death Note"?
I am currently reading the manga, but I only have the first three volumes (out of twelve). Now the problem: I have the two movies lying around and the manga has really put me in the mood, so that I would like to watch these movies as soon as possible. How many volumes do I have to have read to not spoil the manga with the movies? How many for the first movie and how many for the second? As far as I understand, the movies cover about the first half of the manga. But maybe the ending of the second movie spoils the ending of the manga?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Death Note
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 08:32:29 PM »
Can someone who doesn't mind to be spoiled, read this article? It tells to stop reading when you haven't read through the first four volumes. Does this mean, I can watch the first movie after having read the next volume? Does this article give any insight? Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:38:25 PM by TomGaines »

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 09:58:36 PM »
Problem is, I know the anime series and the two - IMO very bad - movies. They differ in many ways, especially the ending, but I cannot give you any advice regarding the manga except this:
Read it first, otherwise the movie will ruin your imagination.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:04:26 PM »
Read it first, otherwise the movie will ruin your imagination.
No matter what, I think I'd always have to agree with that.

I have seen the movies first (in the cinema, when they ran in Taiwan, luckily in Japanese with Chinese and English subtitles) and have the first three DVDs of the TV series ordered and on their way. I thought the movies are o.k., but maybe just because I didn't know what the source material was like. Looking forward to see the anime soon, although I'll have to take it slowly, as they'll take their time releasing the whole series...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:17:56 PM »
Recently I started reading manga on which anime series I like are based on. "Death Note" on the other hand is one of the few, I came into completely blind. I knew that there is a huge franchise behind it (anime, movies, t-shirts,...).
Reading the first volume I was surprised how much I liked it. And the second and third volume were of the same quality. So now I am interested, how the movies did capture the manga. But now reading your comments, I guess I'll have to wait, until I have read the whole thing.
The anime is also on my wishlist. But I have a habit of only buying series in complete season sets. I do not like to buy single volumes. So I guess it will be a while until have the opportunity to see the anime (on the other hand, a colleague has ordered the first volume. I will at least have chance to watch the first few episodes soon).

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
Don't forget to read the Akira manga series.