Author Topic: What's for Dinner? - The Recipes Thread  (Read 2754 times)

Mustrum_Ridcully

Re: What's for Dinner? - The Recipes Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 01:43:12 AM »
Actually, looking at that recipe, I would use the lingonberry jam as a replacement for the sour cream instead.
Interesting idea, even though I have difficulties with mashed potatoes that got mashed with lingonberries.
Probably it's best to replace the Worcester-sauce with lingonberry-jam

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What's for Dinner? - The Recipes Thread
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 08:59:11 PM »
I was in the mood for tomato soup today, and abhor Campbells wretched version, so I whipped this up from scratch. My wife really liked it.

1 35oz. can San Marzano tomatoes
1 14 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
1 14 oz. can low sodium beef broth
1 14 oz. can low sodium chicken broth
1 small onion
1 stalk celery
1 carrot
1 small green pepper
3 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried Oregano
2 bay leaves
4 - 6 fresh basil leaves
2 tsp. sugar
3 - 4 sun dried tomatoes
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil

Mince the carrot, celery, green pepper and onion and saute in butter and olive oil. When the onion is translucent, add the garlic which you should run through a garlic press. Just as the garlic starts to turn blond, add the two cans of low sodium broth. Cover and gently boil for 20 minutes. Then add remaining ingredients and return to a gentle boil, covered for another 30 minutes. At the end of that time, remove the bay leaves and with an immersible hand blender, puree the soup.

You could also add, after you puree the soup, 1/2 cup heavy cream to enrich the soup if you like. Just make sure you bring it up to temperature so it doesn't break. I'm not big on cream in tomato soups, but a lot of people like the added body and consistency.