Author Topic: Favorite musical pieces  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Favorite musical pieces
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
I can't seem to stop looking up songs now.  lol  Look what you started Jimmy ;)

I've always been curious about Anthony Stewart Head - or Anthony Head - being in Rocky Horror..so I did some searching and found these. 

Anthony starts at about 3:40 in this one.  I'll never see Giles the same way again. 

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
*posts my entire MP3 collection*

The word "favorite" starts to lose its meaning the more that gets posted :P
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »
*posts my entire MP3 collection*
That would be a big post from me as I have currently on my second hard disc 5142 songs (enough to listen music during 14 days 7 hours 41 minutes 27 seconds with no repeating) :whistle:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »
I love so many artists that I couldn't possibly list them all. I've seen thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of them live. I'll list the ones that pop into my head as being memorable:

- Santana
- Harry Chapin
- CCR
- Bob Seger
- The Animals
- Queen
- George Thorogood
- Ella Fitzgerald
- Cream
- Rod Stewert
- Frank Sinatra
- Kiss
- Bob Dylan & The Band
- Culture Club
- The Rolling Stones
- Maria Callas
- Meatloaf
- Buddy Rich
- Elton John & Billy Joel
- The Who
- ZZ Top

The worst performance I ever saw, and the only one I ever walked out on, was the Grateful Dead.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 05:36:49 PM »
Living near New York sure help a lot to see many shows ;D

Nothing like that here :(

If I removed the French Canadian one nobody knows about here (except me, Eric and Sebastien) I've seen :

Samantha Fox (seriously it was a great show back in 1988)
Honeymoon Suite
Glass Tiger
Platinum Blonde
Loverboy
Too Many Cooks
Metalicca

and I've missed Pat Benatar (last summer) and Scorpions because I was out of town when those shows happen.

Not a lot but we aren't a big city :whistle:

Harry Chapin did enough songs to do a good show :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:38:34 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »
C64 games had some great musical scores.
I really like this rock interpretation of "The Great Giana Sisters" theme by Machinae Supremacy:

It was available on their website for free. I don't know if it still is.

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, 10:29:23 PM »
Jimmy, I'm confused. You're French-Canadian yet you haven't posted any of your favourite songs from Celine Dion.  ??? I thought you lot had to have a Celine album in the house, kept next to the Bible, or indeed, instead of...  :shrug:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
??? I thought you lot had to have a Celine album in the house, kept next to the Bible, or indeed, instead of...  :shrug:
:laugh:
You would be surprise of how many people here can't stand her, too bad she didn't stay in Vegas and stop bothering us with her stupid news story... She is so overated and singer who "shout" high note for nothing annoy me (you can add Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and many other in this category).

RossRoy

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »
Don't know about Jimmy or Eric, and I don't know if you are being serious or not (I'm guessing not) ...

but!

I can't stand her! There's like 2 people who make me turn the radio off. Whenever Rejean Tremblay comes on (local sports guy .. who does less and less sports and his favorite thing to do is to bash incessantly on the Montreal Canadiens ever since he's been told that he couldn't travel aboard the players' plane anymore) and Celine Dion, whenever a song of hers or any story about her comes on.

I never understood the appeal. How in the hell did she become so famous, when there are countless better singers out there?

The woman can't even adjust to the situation for crying out loud! If she's singing a duet? She fighting to stay "on top". There's no musicality to just about anything she does. Jazz? Forget it, she wants to upstage anyone who gets in her way.

The worst thing I ever heard? Celine Dion singing a duet with Barbara Streisand .. ear screechingly bad!  :yucky:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 10:46:55 PM »
 :laugh:

I've only seen one concert...Matchbox Twenty during their Mad Season tour.

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 10:57:13 PM »
:laugh: No, I wasn't being serious!

The worst thing I ever heard? Celine Dion singing a duet with Barbara Streisand .. ear screechingly bad!  :yucky:

That's the worst thing I've ever heard too, and I haven't even heard it! It's that bad, simply putting their names in the same sentence threatens my hearing.  :-X

You would be surprise of how many people here can't stand her, too bad she didn't stay in Vegas and stop bothering us with her stupid news story... She is so overated and singer who "shout" high note for nothing annoy me (you can add Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and many other in this category).

Ah, you've reminded me. I too dislike Christina Aguilera in general, apart from random songs. Same with Beyonce. In each of these cases, I adore these examples. And you must admit, both ladies have a lovely pair of... lungs :devil: :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »
Good Lord Jon :redcard:

I was only able to watch the first video one minute before she start to shout for nothing and force me to stop it...

Najemikon

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 11:50:37 PM »
Ok, ok. They are what I would consider guilty pleasures.  :-[ So, to redress the balance... hold onto your hats, prepare for your socks to be blown off. My true favourites of lady singers are below.

The first one makes me proud to be British every time I hear her gorgeous soulful voice, because when you see her interviewed, she is so down to earth with a filthy sense of humour! And shy. There was a moment a year or so back when she forgot her own words, she was so nervous. The crowd sang them back at her, she laughed and got back on track.

And this... I mean, wow, this is just a sublime performance of emotion. Just watch her face on the final notes. Goosebump moment from a brilliant artist.

How about Canadian not called Dion?  ;) I already posted a Sheryl Crow and she has worked with this wonderful lady a couple of times. I love the quality and tone of her voice, and the way she occasionally allows a husk or even a break. I could listen to her all day and occasionally have.

My dad loved Country music and so I grew up listening, but not always appreciating, the considerable talent of Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris amongst others, but if pushed, I might have to say that the most natural, effortless voice I've ever heard is...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2011, 05:03:31 AM »
I like Alison Krause too.   I think that is the song that made me notice her.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »
Certainly not one I would call an all time favorite but I gave it a lot of airplay when I did my radio show in the early 2000. At that time I had no clue who she was, even less that she is German. But I played a lot of cool unknown songs that never played anywhere else in that show. I did two different shows one where I played that kind of unknown stuff (at least in my province) and the other full of eighties classics. Surprisingly she doesn't sound too bad live :)